Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

On 6/12/2017 at 6:21 PM, NutritionRunner said:

Well, I remain rather unimpressed with the Ottawa Hospital, Civic Campus.  The staff in the NACU were amazing, but all the other departments/floors seem to have staff that really don't care about their work and show very little empathy.  My father was supposed to have surgery this morning at 8am, and while I realize that emergencies take priority, he still hasn't been prepped for surgery, but he's naturally had to fast all day.  So he is hungry, frustrated, and continues to be confused.  He also fell out of his bed, again, when they were supposed to arrange things so that he didn't have another fall.

I understand that people work long hours, and that there are too many patients for too few staff.  But it would be nice to see people taking just a little bit of care and having a bit of empathy.

How is your dad doing now? I came across this event and thought of you:

http://www.patientsafetyinstitute.ca/en/Events/Pages/Patients-and-families-as-partners-in-the-deteriorating-patient-condition.aspx

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2017-07-09 at 0:31 PM, Lactic Folly said:

Thanks for asking, and thanks for the link - looks like a great event for health care professionals and families.

I'm so used to being taken seriously by doctors at work that it's a shock when I'm not taken seriously as a patient's family member.  Of course, the doctors at work know me and that I'm not one to raise a fuss unless something needs to be taken care of immediately, so when I say a patient needs to see someone urgently, they know it's urgent.

Unfortunately my dad is not doing well.  I'm trying to understand exactly what is going on, because while I visit every weekend, I'm not there during the weekend when the residents and staff physicians are around.  So I'm trying to interpret what my mom is saying the doctors say.  My mom thinks my dad had another TIA or something last Thursday (my niece was with him and thought he was dying, my mom had stepped out to use the washroom), but apparently the doctors aren't worried and didn't do any further tests (maybe there's no need at this point since we know he had a stroke). But he's clearly deteriorated since the last time I saw him.  Canada Day weekend he was definitely improving - obviously a long way to go in terms of rehab, but was conversing fine, his speech was clear, he ordered lunch, he was talking to me in both French and English (French is his mother tongue), had a good appetite.  His short-term memory was still horrible, but his long-term memory was fine.

This Saturday, he had definitely regressed.  His speech was slurred and he was frequently making no sense.  He had no idea where he was.  He couldn't tell me what he wanted for lunch. He didn't want to eat. He had no idea what city he was in.  He kept trying to either get out of his chair or his bed (despite not being physically able to do so).  Very sad to see him doing so much worse than a week previous.

So, either something happened (and perhaps the doctors did what needed to be done, and my mom just didn't understand), or else he was having a really, really bad day (and trust me, as a health care professional, I realize that there will be good and bad days in recovery and rehab).  My mom also really doesn't like the new resident - apparently he is very stuck up and full of himself or at least gives that impression.

The nurses on his current unit are wonderful, though.  Very patient and empathetic.  Seeing the work they have to do makes me glad I'm a dietitian and not a nurse!

2 hours ago, Lactic Folly said:

Sorry to hear about the setback - that's disappointing. Would be nice to have an alternate way for the team's plan to be communicated to you as a family member who works in healthcare, given all that can be lost in secondhand verbal conveyance.

I am planning on taking some time off work to spend some time with my dad and help my mom sort through things, so hopefully I can get some answers first hand.  It's definitely clear that, at least for some other things, my mom either isn't understanding things (or is misinterpreting them), or else she isn't being given the whole story.  For example, one social worker told my mom that they would have to accept the first long term care home that had a spot available for my dad.  I know for a fact that that isn't the case.  Did my mom misunderstand?  Was the social worker trying to make sure my dad doesn't become a "bed blocker" whenever he is well enough to leave the hospital?  I don't know.  Possibly somewhere in between, but I obviously don't know what really happened.

Makes me glad that I almost always use teach-back with my patients, so that, when we've jointly set goals, I know that they understand the teaching pieces I've done.  Granted, primary care is different from in-patient care, but preventing misunderstanding is important in both!

ahhhhh last "vacation" at the cottage prior to the final 5th year push. Going to be a busy year (probably won't be on here much). For today though it is finally a sunny day on my dock. 

Something to hopefully look forward to post this phase of training :)

On 2017-07-15 at 4:00 PM, DentalFoodie said:

What the future will involve... dentistry or working

If I should go on a vacation without knowing if I get off the waitlist (as unlikely as that seems now), if i should try again

Count down to finishing internship 

No matter what happens you'll figure it out either way!! You've done so great so far

On 2017-07-10 at 4:33 PM, NutritionRunner said:

I am planning on taking some time off work to spend some time with my dad and help my mom sort through things, so hopefully I can get some answers first hand.  It's definitely clear that, at least for some other things, my mom either isn't understanding things (or is misinterpreting them), or else she isn't being given the whole story.  For example, one social worker told my mom that they would have to accept the first long term care home that had a spot available for my dad.  I know for a fact that that isn't the case.  Did my mom misunderstand?  Was the social worker trying to make sure my dad doesn't become a "bed blocker" whenever he is well enough to leave the hospital?  I don't know.  Possibly somewhere in between, but I obviously don't know what really happened.

Makes me glad that I almost always use teach-back with my patients, so that, when we've jointly set goals, I know that they understand the teaching pieces I've done.  Granted, primary care is different from in-patient care, but preventing misunderstanding is important in both!

I have no idea why some healthcare professionals are doing so poorly. Like how this stuff can get missed blows my mind. I have a family member with dementia and it's always the same BS. Everyone is inept. Or they are intentionally doing a poor job for some perverse reason. Like why on earth that social worker would allow your father/mother to leave the room without having pure 100 percent confirmation that he/she knows what is going on is beyond me. All of this is extremely disappointing. What is more important than helping a family? If there's something else you have to attend to then please leave the profession. if I take on any administration in this country I'm making sure this whole system changes. I honestly think the helathcare system is too lax at the lower levels. Critical life moments for patients is not the time to start phoning it in at the job you chose that everyone thinks you're a saint for doing. The combination of being lax along with an attitude of a healthcare worker feeling incredibly in control gives a dangerous combination to a person who is consistently making the wrong decisions. At the end of the day please don't tell me anything that is factually wrong, is that so hard to do? 

On 2017-07-19 at 2:53 AM, canucks_14 said:

I have no idea why some healthcare professionals are doing so poorly. Like how this stuff can get missed blows my mind. I have a family member with dementia and it's always the same BS. Everyone is inept. Or they are intentionally doing a poor job for some perverse reason. Like why on earth that social worker would allow your father/mother to leave the room without having pure 100 percent confirmation that he/she knows what is going on is beyond me. All of this is extremely disappointing. What is more important than helping a family? If there's something else you have to attend to then please leave the profession. if I take on any administration in this country I'm making sure this whole system changes. I honestly think the helathcare system is too lax at the lower levels. Critical life moments for patients is not the time to start phoning it in at the job you chose that everyone thinks you're a saint for doing. The combination of being lax along with an attitude of a healthcare worker feeling incredibly in control gives a dangerous combination to a person who is consistently making the wrong decisions. At the end of the day please don't tell me anything that is factually wrong, is that so hard to do? 

Well, people get complacent.  They get bored.  They are overworked.  I get it.  That doesn't mean I approve of it.

Unfortunately it looks like my dad is going to need 24 hour nursing care for the rest of his life.  His entire right side is essentially paralyzed, his short-term memory is gone, and neither looks like they will improve anytime soon.  He also has a lot of processing issues, has no idea where he is, and talks a lot of nonsense.  Now on to another aspect of our health care system that is totally underfunded: long term care.  There is a minimum 2 YEAR wait for a long term care bed for my dad, and the home that my mom and sister would prefer (it is close to them and has a good reputation) has an 8 YEAR wait list (I don't think my dad will still be around in 8 years).

7 minutes ago, ginsberg said:

I've been contemplating for days if I should take a full year of Classics (which I love) or a semester of anatomy, which the knowledge might be useful for me in upper year courses. 

Classics no doubt.

Learning anatomy isn't worth foregoing the enjoyment, wonder, and reflection, the classics can imbue.

4 hours ago, freewheeler said:

Classics no doubt.

Learning anatomy isn't worth foregoing the enjoyment, wonder, and reflection, the classics can imbue.

^I second this. Classical Mythology was one of my fave classes even if memorizing family trees were f'ed up.

Annoyed at my current project... I have a few days left but am super duper stressed because of this >.> If it wasn't for competencies I'd bs this so badly.

On 2017-07-26 at 8:39 PM, DentalFoodie said:

^I second this. Classical Mythology was one of my fave classes even if memorizing family trees were f'ed up.

Annoyed at my current project... I have a few days left but am super duper stressed because of this >.> If it wasn't for competencies I'd bs this so badly.

Thirded.  I thoroughly enjoyed all of my Classics electives (although I am the person who enjoys watching the Ancient Rome, Ancient Greek, and Ancient Egyptian documentaries on TV far more than any sitcom).  The anatomy that you need will be taught to you in medical school.  Unless you have a backup plan that requires anatomy (i.e. Physiotherapy or Occupational Therapy), Classics, IMO, is a great choice!

On 7/26/2017 at 3:45 PM, freewheeler said:

Classics no doubt.

On 7/26/2017 at 8:39 PM, DentalFoodie said:

On 7/28/2017 at 9:50 PM, canucks_14 said:

take anatomy because it will help you both now and later on

Thanks to all of you for the help and perspective; much appreciated. :) So, it turns out that my enrolment is over and I actually have no choice but to keep my classics course now, but it's fine because I'm pretty excited for school to start now. And good luck with your project! 

On 7/30/2017 at 7:53 PM, NutritionRunner said:

Thirded.  I thoroughly enjoyed all of my Classics electives (although I am the person who enjoys watching the Ancient Rome, Ancient Greek, and Ancient Egyptian documentaries on TV far more than any sitcom).  The anatomy that you need will be taught to you in medical school.  Unless you have a backup plan that requires anatomy (i.e. Physiotherapy or Occupational Therapy), Classics, IMO, is a great choice!

Thanks for the insight! Also, there's a few short, easy-to-finish series on Netflix centred around Ancient Greek and Roman tales (if you're into television). 

And lol, I'm only 18 so I have no clue if I'll ever be taught anatomy in medical school - because I don't know if I'll ever go. I'm just gonna study/drink/volunteer next year and see where that takes me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ginsberg, be careful of the drinking/partying as it is not in your best interests and will prevent you from being the best of whom you are capable being, especially if your friends encourage you to do so. During undergrad, my friends enjoyed partying/drinking, we parted company as a result b/c academics became my priority; with a strong work ethic and time and stress management skills, I became a straight A student, ECs& volunteering with likeminded individuals became my social life, I got into med school directly from undergrad. It was continuous hard work, I was exhausted by the end of every semester, I remained motivated always, treated my academics like it was my profession, remained on top of my studies and assignments, I always kept my eyes on the ultimate goal, and it all paid off. One last piece of advice, stay away from a s.o. who is needy, unstable or who does not have ambition and a strong work ethic as the wrong person will take you down and mess up your career goals before you have a real chance.

Synphonie, best of luck!

On 8/2/2017 at 2:17 AM, Bambi said:

Ginsberg, be careful of the drinking/partying as it is not in your best interests and will prevent you from being the best of whom you are capable being, especially if your friends encourage you to do so. During undergrad, my friends enjoyed partying/drinking, we parted company as a result b/c academics became my priority; with a strong work ethic and time and stress management skills, I became a straight A student, ECs& volunteering with likeminded individuals became my social life, I got into med school directly from undergrad. It was continuous hard work, I was exhausted by the end of every semester, I remained motivated always, treated my academics like it was my profession, remained on top of my studies and assignments, I always kept my eyes on the ultimate goal, and it all paid off. One last piece of advice, stay away from a s.o. who is needy, unstable or who does not have ambition and a strong work ethic as the wrong person will take you down and mess up your career goals before you have a real chance.

Synphonie, best of luck!

Hi Bambi! This is really good advice and actually made me reevaluate my entire life and motivations haha. Thank you so much! I will keep all of this in mind in September. My family gave me identical advice and now you are offering me the same advice so I'll definitely take it to heart. :) I really enjoy dancing/having fun/etc but I'll try my best to have fun in moderation and prioritize my studies, no worries. Thanks once again for the solid advice! 

Yes, having a recreational outlet like dancing is important, but everything in moderation. This too will help relieve stress. Just consider all strategically as you can negatively impact your life profoundly by making point r choices. Maturity is essential as only you have your foot on the brakes, you are solely responsible for your choices and the consequences that follow. 

In course selection, I tended to take relatively easy electives so as to balance my overall course load. Also, I enjoyed taking courses where the exams were multiple choice, based upon the text, thereby enabling me to be far more efficient because I then skipped lectures using the lecture time to study more efficiently, which in turn enabled me to get the A needed for my GPA. In turn, this enabled me to become a self reflective independent learner which I used to advantage in medical school, where I skipped all lectures, studying and learning on my own far more efficiently. Of course, I prepared for and attended all PBL sessions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived