Premed 101 Forums

Optometrist Shadowing

On the UWaterloo Optometry website, it says you need two confidential assessment forms; one from an optometrist and a character reference.

There is also a section on the application that says "time spent working/volunteering/job shadowing an optometrist." I was wondering if anyone knew what would be a competitive amount of time to shadow an optometrist. Does anyone know what the minimum would be to be get in, if there even is a minimum?

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On the UWaterloo Optometry website, it says you need two confidential assessment forms; one from an optometrist and a character reference.

There is also a section on the application that says "time spent working/volunteering/job shadowing an optometrist." I was wondering if anyone knew what would be a competitive amount of time to shadow an optometrist. Does anyone know what the minimum would be to be get in, if there even is a minimum?

I think 500 hours a year is not hard. So 2000 hours in 4 years of undergrad. This is total I am speaking of.

• 2 weeks later...

I think 500 hours a year is not hard. So 2000 hours in 4 years of undergrad. This is total I am speaking of.

you definitely don't need 2000 hours of shadowing to get into UWaterloo Optometry. If you check out the acceptances on SDN (here's a link to the current application cycle thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/waterloo-2014.1018514/ ) you;ll notice that a few students got in with just 1-2 days of shadowing. So the minimum requirement I'd say is 1 day (8 hours I guess). Try to get more than though. I'm not sure what a competitive amount is, but the more you have the better. And that doesn't have to include just shadowing - it can be working in an optometry clinic as well (though personally I think that shadowing is more helpful...).

hope that helps!

Archived