Premed 101 Forums

Does U of T allow transfer students from other ontario medical schools after year 1?

From the UT MEDs FAQ:

3) Does the University of Toronto accept transfer students (students who are currently undergraduate medical students in other medical schools or who have completed one or more years of undergraduate medicine in another medical school) ?

No. Transfers are not allowed.

save yourself some time. None of the medical schools in canada accept transfers.

You can apply to a select few Canadian medical schools but you start from the beginning and you apply as a normal applicant.

I can understand why - there would be a gap in their program as a result and they would be graduating less than their mandate. I cannot say I have ever heard of anyone ever transferring at any school either.

• 4 years later...
On 5/23/2013 at 4:24 PM, rmorelan said:

I can understand why - there would be a gap in their program as a result and they would be graduating less than their mandate. I cannot say I have ever heard of anyone ever transferring at any school either.

Reviving an old thread  - but I do know personally of a classmate this year who received a compassionate transfer from the U of A to a school out east. The grounds were to be closer to their significant other (spouse).

I am in a similar situation and am currently looking at options. Wondering if anyone has heard of anything since this thread was started ~4 years ago

• 9 months later...
19 hours ago, AS123 said:

Also commenting on an old thread....I'm looking into transferring as well....It would certainly be compassionate reasons. I'm experiencing significant harassment by staff/admin at my current school and really need to get out of there. I don't know how to go about trying to get a transfer though. Like who would I even ask at U of T? I'd need to book an appointment with someone to meet somehow, and then get them to listen to me for long enough to consider my situation and not just deny me right away saying that no transfers are allowed.  Anyone know of anyone who has transferred to U of T med after preclerkship?

Just to UofT?

I doubt U of T would want to get involved with a perceived harassment situation at your current school. You will need your current school involved if another school did agree to take you on at clerkship.  You probably need to address the issues at your own school first and then see if the resulting discussions include transferring as a viable solution.  

I have seen a transfer at clerkship between schools, but it was the case of a terminally ill family member.

Hope you find a path forward to be successful.

Archived