Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS Autobiographical Sketch: Research

Can someone answer this??

If your work was a part of a conference and you published the work, then you can and should include it as research. These are research experiences. If the conference was something that was required for credit in the course, this might be a grey area; if you're lacking in research experiences it's still a good idea to include it though imo. The same goes for a thesis that has been "published" in your university's thesis/dissertations database; it's a grey area, but still counts as research if you have nothing else and it's probably better than not having any research experiences to include. With that being said, if you happen to have no research at all its not the end of the world either, I know a handful of people that have gotten into Ontario med without any research.

I think, really, what they are trying to avoid by including this statement is having everyone list all of their courses that include the word "research" on their ABS. Courses are listed on your transcript and, for many students, research methods courses are required in order to get your degree. So if these courses are included in your ABS as well, and especially in the top three for Ottawa, then it doesn't really add anything to the application and doesn't express anything about you as an individual. It's a nice way for OMSAS to let you know that if you include research courses in your ABS, you're probably not helping your application. But anything you can argue is not coursework or goes above and beyond coursework can be included at your discretion and will probably help you at least a little bit.

That's my take on it. Hope it helps. It seems that others around the forum have been confused by this statement for years, and there is no black&white answer. The short answer is always to do what's best for your application. They certainly won't toss your application because you've included course work and called it research, but it will put you at a slight disadvantage compared to those who have publications, conferences, presentations, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Similar to the post above, could 1 research experience be potentially split up into 4 entries?

- Actual research experience (paid) under Employment

- Studentship award under Awards

- Poster presentation under Research

- Award for poster presentation under Awards

The Research section appears to be reserved for publications and presentations only, and Awards is also separate. This does seem to be the clearest way of showing everything, but it is an awful lot of entries, and I do not want to do any "padding".

Similar to the post above, could 1 research experience be potentially split up into 4 entries?

- Actual research experience (paid) under Employment

- Studentship award under Awards

- Poster presentation under Research

- Award for poster presentation under Awards

The Research section appears to be reserved for publications and presentations only, and Awards is also separate. This does seem to be the clearest way of showing everything, but it is an awful lot of entries, and I do not want to do any "padding".

yes, those definitely warrant 4 separate entries. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi everyone! I was hoping to get some advice. I was rejected post-interview this past year and am hoping to re-vamp my application. One aspect that I'm curious about is what people do when they have a lot of research experience/awards? For context, I have 10+ first author publications and 30+ first author oral/poster presentations, as well as 5+ major scholarships/awards. Last year I clustered together certain ones (typically publication + presentations on the same topic and scholarships given for similar reasons) and tried to include as much as I could but I did have to omit a bit just because I don't want an application that is solely research (I am not just a lab rat!). Can anyone provide suggestions on how I can effectively present these achievements? Thanks in advance! 

• 1 month later...
On 6/9/2019 at 5:25 PM, MedTalks said:

Hi everyone! I was hoping to get some advice. I was rejected post-interview this past year and am hoping to re-vamp my application. One aspect that I'm curious about is what people do when they have a lot of research experience/awards? For context, I have 10+ first author publications and 30+ first author oral/poster presentations, as well as 5+ major scholarships/awards. Last year I clustered together certain ones (typically publication + presentations on the same topic and scholarships given for similar reasons) and tried to include as much as I could but I did have to omit a bit just because I don't want an application that is solely research (I am not just a lab rat!). Can anyone provide suggestions on how I can effectively present these achievements? Thanks in advance! 

Im old so I’ve had a lot of time to do activities/research but I condensed 80+ items (counting each pub for example as one item) into the 32 spots last year and got into western, idk if western looks at the regular abs but I grouped things for their abbreviated abs essays and it worked for that. I also used the “Summer or Academic year” to provide more info so instead of just saying summer I’d be like in the summer I Collected patient data, analyzed blah blah, then in academic year i did x y z. I did the same thing when it asks for full time or part time, so you get a lot more space that way, idk if it helped. But I did the same thing as u by trying to have a nice spread of the different categories so I didn’t look too one dimensional with research. i think it’s fine what u did and I’d just do it again and keep practicing interviews if you were rejected post interview. It honestly just comes down to luck at a point so dw you’ll probably get in this time