Premed 101 Forums

Residents ≠ employees according to CRA (updated!)

Thanks for the quick reply!

I called CRA this evening. According to the CRA agent I spoke with, she said that I'm not the first person that called her today regarding the same issue. She also told me that the CRA have not yet made it clear to their employees about how to deal with residents claiming T2202A. Apparently, there are some development in the issue, but she wasn't authorized to give me the details.

In any case, she actually advised me to file T1 adjustment application and site the "Kandasamy v. The Queen" case in my letter. She said that CRA should reply to this request within 5 weeks. If that doesn't work, she said to file for an appeal (i.e. Objection).

sounds fair - it is a large organization and things are complex. Takes a bit for all the wheels to be spinning in the right directions :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm wondering if anybody has any updates? With tax season coming around again, I'm planning on filing as a full time student. Im hoping there are more consistencies at the cra by now. Did anybody run into any issues recently?

no we still are full time for the CRA.

most importantly going forward though is whether the new budget in Apr will have full time student tax benefits or switch to a grant system to offset tuition. If so (they are proposing a change I hear), the current tax benefits will disappear and it won't matter if we are full time or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Just on that note, I'm filling out tax paperwork now to submit to the university for residency. It asks for tuition and education amounts. Do we know if we're still considered students (either part time or full time) for the coming year? Thanks.

we are - the tuition credits are scheduled as I understand it to end on Jan 1, 2017. Basically we are into already the final year.

After that we are free falling as it were :)

we are - the tuition credits are scheduled as I understand it to end on Jan 1, 2017. Basically we are into already the final year.

After that we are free falling as it were :)

Note: "Tax credit amounts carried forward from years prior to 2017 will still be claimable in 2017 and subsequent years."

Source: http://www.budget.gc.ca/2016/docs/plan/ch1-en.html#_Toc446106651

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, I'm starting PGY1 and had a question regarding TD1 forms. At UT, we pay a $700 registration fee. I'm wondering if I could count that this fee under Line 5 of the federal TD1 and Line 4 of the provincial/Ontario form so that I can receive an increase in my monthly pay rather than a lump sum (see below for details regarding Line 5/Line 4). 

EDIT: to be clear, this is not about claiming tuition tax credits accumulated in medical school.

My calculations are as follows:

1) TD1 federal: 700 + 400/mo + 65/mo = 700 + (400+65)*(12) = 6280

2) TD1 ontario/provincial = 700 + 539*12 = 7168 

Is this okay?

Thanks!

--------------------

Line 5 of TD1 Federal: Tuition, education, and textbook amounts (full time and part time) – If you are a student enrolled at a university or college, or an educational institution certified by Employment and Social Development Canada, and you will pay more than $100 per institution in tuition fees, fill in this section. If you are enrolled full time, or if you have a mental or physical disability and are enrolled part time, enter the total of the tuition fees you will pay, plus $400 for each month that you will be enrolled, plus $65 per month for textbooks. If you are enrolled part time and do not have a mental or physical disability, enter the total of the tuition fees you will pay, plus $120 for each month that you will be enrolled part time, plus $20 per month for textbooks.

Line 4 of TD1 Ontario: Tuition and education amounts (full time and part time) – If you are a student enrolled at a university, college, or educational institution certified by Employment and Social Development Canada, and you will pay more than $100 per institution in tuition fees, fill in this section. If you are enrolled full time, or if you have a mental or physical disability and are enrolled part time, enter the total of the tuition fees you will pay, plus $539 for each month that you will be enrolled. If you are enrolled part time and do not have a mental or physical disability, enter the total of the tuition fees you will pay, plus $161 for each month that you will be enrolled part time

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived