Premed 101 Forums

Work positions available in animal clinics/shelters?

I've seriously been considering going into veterinary medicine for a while now and definitely think getting exposure this summer will be very helpful in deciding what I'd like to pursue in the future. I'm in first year right now, and although I don't have any formal experiences working with animals, having an opportunity like this would definitely be something I would make the most of. I'm searching online and generally have been unable to find any actual programs for summer employment in a shelter or clinic and was wondering if anyone here could offer their advice on good opportunities to look out for, both volunteer and work? I would definitely try to volunteer at least on weekends at the least during the summer, but I am not in the greatest financial situation right now, so any comments regarding employment in animal care near Vaughan (anywhere near the GTA) would be amazing!

• 1 month later...

Have you found a place to work, yet? If you visit the Ontario Veterinary Medical Association website, you will be able to find clinic listings under 'Classifieds' in the navigation panel on the left side of the page. Without any working experience with animals, your options at a clinic are limited. But you may be able to start off as a receptionist or kennel attendant, and work your way to a veterinary assistant.

You can write a 'Student Available' advertisement on the OVMA website for free, here: http://www.ovma.org/classified_ads/student_available.html Don't forget to include the information about your major -- assuming you are taking biomedical or animal sciences.

And while vet colleges will be looking at your experience in a clinic environment, they will also consider your animal experience - such as volunteering at an animal shelter or a zoo; running a small scale, in-home dog boarding operation; dog-walking; fostering pets from the humane society or fostering dog guides in-training. Pet ownership is not considered animal experience, unless you breed and/or show competitively.

Have you found a place to work, yet? If you visit the Ontario Veterinary Medical Association website, you will be able to find clinic listings under 'Classifieds' in the navigation panel on the left side of the page. Without any working experience with animals, your options at a clinic are limited. But you may be able to start off as a receptionist or kennel attendant, and work your way to a veterinary assistant.

You can write a 'Student Available' advertisement on the OVMA website for free, here: http://www.ovma.org/classified_ads/student_available.html Don't forget to include the information about your major -- assuming you are taking biomedical or animal sciences.

And while vet colleges will be looking at your experience in a clinic environment, they will also consider your animal experience - such as volunteering at an animal shelter or a zoo; running a small scale, in-home dog boarding operation; dog-walking; fostering pets from the humane society or fostering dog guides in-training. Pet ownership is not considered animal experience, unless you breed and/or show competitively.

Wow, thanks!

Ye, I don't have much experience yet besides informal experiences. I've contacted a few shelters and clinics, but I'll definitely do what you've said. I'm actually going into a Biophysics specialization...veterinary school is my primary goal but I really enjoy Physics and will be taking the necessary prerequisites too.

Thank you for the link once again. There don't seem to be any opportunities up currently, but I'll definitely keep checking! :)

I would simply suggest being proactive. Call clinics until you find one that is a learning/teaching hospital and ask if they are taking on volunteers. I've been volunteering at a clinic for just over a year. They've been amazing and I've been able to shadow everything from appointments to surgeries to pulling vaccines and prescriptions, interpreting radiographs, establishing glucose curves, administering meds, etc. It's been a great experience. Just be up-front and be mature. Many clinics are happy to take on volunteers because it frees up a lot of time for vet techs to focus on medical procedures.

Also, I find most new veterinarians are more approachable and willing to take on undergrad volunteers because they are extending their knowledge the same way other veterinarians helped them prior to their own applications.

Keep calling and you'll connect with a clinic, definitely!

In the off-season (ie: when you're not studying) farms and wildlife rehabilitation centers are often looking for help. These sorts of places are great for gaining experience with wild animals and large animals (swine, cattle, etc.) that many applicants won't have experience with who apply to vet school.

Similarly, riding schools and even Woodbine race track take on people for basic tasks to do with horses (grooming, cleaning stalls, etc.).

I would simply suggest being proactive. Call clinics until you find one that is a learning/teaching hospital and ask if they are taking on volunteers. I've been volunteering at a clinic for just over a year. They've been amazing and I've been able to shadow everything from appointments to surgeries to pulling vaccines and prescriptions, interpreting radiographs, establishing glucose curves, administering meds, etc. It's been a great experience. Just be up-front and be mature. Many clinics are happy to take on volunteers because it frees up a lot of time for vet techs to focus on medical procedures.

Also, I find most new veterinarians are more approachable and willing to take on undergrad volunteers because they are extending their knowledge the same way other veterinarians helped them prior to their own applications.

Keep calling and you'll connect with a clinic, definitely!

In the off-season (ie: when you're not studying) farms and wildlife rehabilitation centers are often looking for help. These sorts of places are great for gaining experience with wild animals and large animals (swine, cattle, etc.) that many applicants won't have experience with who apply to vet school.

Similarly, riding schools and even Woodbine race track take on people for basic tasks to do with horses (grooming, cleaning stalls, etc.).

I've already called clinics and shelters in my area and if all goes well, should be able to volunteer in an animal shelter and hopefully shadow a vet. This will all be only on the weekends though since I still need to work a normal job and will be taking 2 courses throughout the summer (and trying to enjoy time back home :) ). An employment opportunity in one of these settings would be optimal just so I could more exposure throughout the week and hopefully more responsibility.

And I will definitely look into farms and wildlife rehab centres too. I've been trying to find some near my university (Western) but relying on buses, it's hard to go far. If anyone has any suggestions on places in London that I may have possibly overlooked that would be awesome! Thank you for the suggestions!

Archived