Premed 101 Forums

Capmus Preference - Food Q

Hey Everyone,

Quick question for current uoft med students as I select my campus preference, for anyone at MAM, what is the food situation like? I've been to UTM a few times and I know the campus is pretty isolated from the rest of Mississauga and there isn't a whole lot of variety on campus. I enjoy cooking but I also know that if I get in med school is quite busy and so I'm pretty sure being downtown would be an advantage in that sense. Any thoughts?

Hey Everyone,

Quick question for current uoft med students as I select my campus preference, for anyone at MAM, what is the food situation like? I've been to UTM a few times and I know the campus is pretty isolated from the rest of Mississauga and there isn't a whole lot of variety on campus. I enjoy cooking but I also know that if I get in med school is quite busy and so I'm pretty sure being downtown would be an advantage in that sense. Any thoughts?

Food options downtown are literally endless. You're in the heart of the country's biggest and most diverse city, and you can get a pizza, sub, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Greek, you name it, in a 10 minute walking radius in some places. Downtown would certainly be advantageous in that sense. Don't forget also that being downtown will probably be better even if you end up cooking: many big grocery stores near campus, china town and kensington. I think you'd be hard pressed to find an argument for Mississauga in this case, but I guess someone from MAM should field this.

True, everything is quite close in downtown Toronto, but grocery is also cheaper here at Mississauga. The cheapest tend to be Chinese supermarket that is around 20 minute bus ride (10 minutes by car). I also go to Fresh Co, No Frills, Walmart, Target and Shopper's, all of which are <10 minutes by bus. Your tuition covers a bus pass from Sept-April.

Other food options close to campus (<10 minute drive) may include Five Guys and Burger, Popeyes, variety of Thai/Pho, Japanese, Chinese, Indian.

The food court here is getting renovated and there should be new food options by September. Right now, there are Subway, Tim Hortons, Second Cup, Starbucks, Pizza Pizza, International food area, Deli. I actually don't eat at the Food Court often, so perhaps someone else can elaborate.

Med school is busy, yes, but you make time for everything. I make time for cooking because it's much cheaper and healthier. It usually takes me <10 minutes to cook a good healthy meal.

True, everything is quite close in downtown Toronto, but grocery is also cheaper here at Mississauga. The cheapest tend to be Chinese supermarket that is around 20 minute bus ride (10 minutes by car). I also go to Fresh Co, No Frills, Walmart, Target and Shopper's, all of which are <10 minutes by bus. Your tuition covers a bus pass from Sept-April.

Other food options close to campus (<10 minute drive) may include Five Guys and Burger, Popeyes, variety of Thai/Pho, Japanese, Chinese, Indian.

The food court here is getting renovated and there should be new food options by September. Right now, there are Subway, Tim Hortons, Second Cup, Starbucks, Pizza Pizza, International food area, Deli. I actually don't eat at the Food Court often, so perhaps someone else can elaborate.

Med school is busy, yes, but you make time for everything. I make time for cooking because it's much cheaper and healthier. It usually takes me <10 minutes to cook a good healthy meal.

Sorry, not to be too much of a devil's advocate, but literally everything you listed, except for Target (which doesn't seem like a necessity), is accessible with a 20 minute or shorter bus from the St. George campus. And I'm fairly sure that No Frills in Toronto has the same prices as one in Mississauga.

Again, I'm not trying to discredit MAM at all, and am sure it has its advantages, I just can't see food being one. Though given what you have listed, it clearly isn't enough of a difference to be a deciding factor either.

For cooking food, I haven't found any difference in ease or quality so far. I do have to hand it to downtown for their restaurants. Downtown Toronto is a foodie's paradise. There just isn't as much variety or quality around Mississauga campus. Five Guys, a couple of mediocre sushi places, ditto chinese, that's about it. And even those are hardly walking distance from campus, unlike the plethora of places right around Queen's Park. The places on Baldwin? Oh man.

Sorry, not to be too much of a devil's advocate, but literally everything you listed, except for Target (which doesn't seem like a necessity), is accessible with a 20 minute or shorter bus from the St. George campus. And I'm fairly sure that No Frills in Toronto has the same prices as one in Mississauga.

Again, I'm not trying to discredit MAM at all, and am sure it has its advantages, I just can't see food being one. Though given what you have listed, it clearly isn't enough of a difference to be a deciding factor either.

Sorry, should've indicated that the cheaper grocery are the ones at Chinese supermarkets here (where I usually go anyway). I don't go to the others that I've listed as much for food items. In any case, assuming you eat out the same number of times, then the amount you would save by living in Mississauga due to grocery/food alone wouldn't be much.

Archived