Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted/Wait listed/Rejected 2014

Applied: UofT and UWO (both PT)

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

GPA: cumGPA: 3.59 subGPA: 3.89

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: taught anatomy to PT/OT students for 2 years, 1 reference from PT/OT professor, have a MSc

Not sure if any of that really matters for UofT or UWO though, given that what determines whether or not I get into either is mostly my subGPA (+ CAP for UofT)...as far as i understand it.

Applied: UofT, Western PT

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

GPA: cumGPA: 3.72 subGPA: 3.98

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

Academic reference from a prof in whose seminar class I received the highest mark. Professional reference from a volunteer supervisor at a hospital I've been at for close to 3 years (hands-on work, not the clerical stuff) - she even showed me her letter which gratefully was very complimenting.

Applied: UofT PT, McMaster PT, Queen's PT, Western PT

Accepted: UofT, McMaster

Waitlisted: Western, Queens

Interviews: UofT, McMaster

Rejected:

GPA: cGPA: 3.65 sGPA: 3.82

I thought my Queen's essay was strong, used many personal experiences from ECs as well as shadowing. Academic reference was from a professor I did a summer research project with, and the other reference was from a current boss that knows me very well personally. However, neither reference letter was from a PT, which may put me at a disadvantage.

U of T will be my first choice because there are more opportunities to work at a hospital and Toronto is where I would want to settle in the future.

I have a feeling the bubble has burst. Seems like way less people are buzzing this year about PT. Other years you come on here theres 50 people applying with 3.9+ GPA.

good observation, i didnt realize that until you said it. Maybe we will fall in one of those statistical outlier years. That would be sweet. It does seem rather quiet here.

good observation, i didnt realize that until you said it. Maybe we will fall in one of those statistical outlier years. That would be sweet. It does seem rather quiet here.

Here's hoping you guys are right, knock on wood, but I remember this time last year this website seemed to be buzzing like crazy.

Applied: Mac, Queens, and UofA PT

SubGPA: 3.80 (in ontario), and 3.85 (in Alberta)

CumGPA: 3.65

Essays and personal submissions: It is my first time applying this year, so I don't really know if I did well on my personal submission sections, but I do feel good about them.

Everyone on this thread has such high GPA's :). Hopefully this year, The GPA requirement drops (I think highly unlikely) or at least stay the same.Best of lucks to everyone!

Applied: Mac, Queens, and UofA PT

SubGPA: 3.80 (in ontario), and 3.85 (in Alberta)

CumGPA: 3.65

Essays and personal submissions: It is my first time applying this year, so I don't really know if I did well on my personal submission sections, but I do feel good about them.

Everyone on this thread has such high GPA's :). Hopefully this year, The GPA requirement drops (I think highly unlikely) or at least stay the same.Best of lucks to everyone!

are you from alberta? if not unfortunetely the out of province gpa to get an interview is usually 3.9++

Yup I'm from Alberta =). However I had no idea the out of province gpa for UofA was that high :/. By any chance do you know what the GPA cutoff might be for in province students for UofA?

I don't know about PT but for OT I don't believe that out of province played a role to be honest. I was top 50 on the waitlist last year with a 3.5 sub gpa and people with 3.8 were rejected. UofA is one of the schools that actually looks at references and personal statements closely when admitting students from what I could tell.

I don't know about PT but for OT I don't believe that out of province played a role to be honest. I was top 50 on the waitlist last year with a 3.5 sub gpa and people with 3.8 were rejected. UofA is one of the schools that actually looks at references and personal statements closely when admitting students from what I could tell.

Ya its definitely different for PT. Sorry not sure what the in province cut-off is. But I bet it is significantly lower, I am sure your in good shape.

Applied: UofT, Mac, Queens, Western (all PT/OT)

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

SubGPA: 3.76 ; CumGPA:3.41

-Fairly strong references from one of my former Professors and a Physiotherapist

-Volunteered at a private physiotherapy clinic and hospital as a physiotherapy assistant volunteer for approximately 300 hours total.

I am 24 years old and applying for the first time to PT/OT. My grades weren't competitive last year so I didn't bother applying. I would prefer PT at any University over OT but after looking at this forum I am not sure if my SubGPA is competitive. Just hoping for the best. Goodluck to everyone else applying.

Applied: UofT, Mac, Queens, Western (all PT/OT)

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

SubGPA: 3.76 ; CumGPA:3.41

-Fairly strong references from one of my former Professors and a Physiotherapist

-Volunteered at a private physiotherapy clinic and hospital as a physiotherapy assistant volunteer for approximately 300 hours total.

I am 24 years old and applying for the first time to PT/OT. My grades weren't competitive last year so I didn't bother applying. I would prefer PT at any University over OT but after looking at this forum I am not sure if my SubGPA is competitive. Just hoping for the best. Goodluck to everyone else applying.

I bet you have a good shot at queens

My GPA was 3.85 and I got rejected from U of A. I think my references and personal statements weren't that bad though considering I got accepted into Queen's, U of T, and UWO.

Applied: UofA, McMaster, UofT, Queens, Western PT

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:UofT, McMaster

GPA: sub-GPA 3.57; cum-GPA 3.55

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I think my essay was pretty good, but I have stellar references.

Got UofA Interview on April 26th

My GPA was 3.85 and I got rejected from U of A. I think my references and personal statements weren't that bad though considering I got accepted into Queen's, U of T, and UWO.

Were you applying out of province? I think OOP GPA's are inflated because (as rumour has it) some schools get As converted to 4.0s

Applied: UofA, McMaster, UofT, Queens, Western PT

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

GPA: sub-GPA 3.57; cum-GPA 3.55

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I think my essay was pretty good, but I have stellar references.

You know the GPA cut offs for McMaster, UofT and Western are all 3.75+++?

First post..

Applied: McMaster, UofT, Queens, Western (All PT), Western OT

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

GPA: sub-GPA 3.86; cum-GPA 3.19

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I think I did good, but it is hard to know exactly what they're looking for. I talked about my different experiences (volunteering with a PT, working with stroke patients, shadowing other PT's..) so I hope that will be good enough.

It is my second time applying and I hope I have a better chance this time around.