Premed 101 Forums

Surgery Residency Info

I was wondering a few things about the surgery residencies in general:

1)How competitive is it to match without a Masters or a PhD.

2)Can one do both research and work as a surgeon without obtaining a PhD?

3)Are the job markets saturated now? And will it be say in 10 years?

4)Is the life of a surgeon really as bad as people make it sound?

Anyone with any insight on these questions?

I was wondering a few things about the surgery residencies in general:

1)How competitive is it to match without a Masters or a PhD.

2)Can one do both research and work as a surgeon without obtaining a PhD?

3)Are the job markets saturated now? And will it be say in 10 years?

4)Is the life of a surgeon really as bad as people make it sound?

Anyone with any insight on these questions?

1) as hard as it is for everyone else. The majority of applicants don't have them. Unless it's applicable directly to the specialty, it doesn't really matter. It's definitely way down the ladder for important applicant characteristics.

2) Yes. The vast majority of academic surgeons, even the biggest names, don't have phd's.

3) jobs aren't great now. Some variability depending on specialty. Expect to be required to do a fellowship to land a community job (as stupid as that is) in any community even remotely desirable to the average person. Some specialties may require 2 or more. I'd like to say it'll get better, but honestly, I don't think it will improve much.

4) Yes and no. It's busy, but highly variable based on specialty and location.

By community, you mean remote areas?

No, any practice that isn't in an academic hospital (aka teaching hospital, aka university associated hospital) is a community practice.

Quebec is a different kettle of fish. Nobody wants to work there (bad pay, less resources, lots of inept bureaucracy, French, the normal issues with Quebec government politics etc.) so the job market may be different.

Quebec is a different kettle of fish. Nobody wants to work there (bad pay, less resources, lots of inept bureaucracy, French, the normal issues with Quebec government politics etc.) so the job market may be different.

You also have to deal with PREMs (possibly less so in surgery than in general practice) which is an additional barrier to working in the city/region that you want. In short, there are tons of obstacles.

No, any practice that isn't in an academic hospital (aka teaching hospital, aka university associated hospital) is a community practice.

Quebec is just so undesirable. Unless you're from there, I don't see what would attract anyone to Quebec if they had a choice.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived