Premed 101 Forums

Commuting to Mississauga

Hey - I'm entering my first year at Mississauga, and I currently live in Hamilton (right near Mac). Do you guys think it would be unrealistic for me to want to remain in Hamilton and then commute in every day? It would be like 1 hour each way. I know first year is especially intense, so I'm not sure if I would be doing myself a disservice by remaining at my current address. I'm also aware of anatomy labs being downtown, which may further exasperate things.

Thanks!

As a MAMer, I highly advocate for living in Mississauga. I grew up in Burlington and the QEW isn't very pretty in the mornings. I personally moved to Mississauga when I started at MAM and I really enjoy being able to get to school in 10 minutes. If you add up all the time you would spend commuting, it's quite a bit. The only reason most students commute is if they are living at home (and thus saving quite a bit of money).

If you do choose to live in Hamilton, I would highly advocate for taking the GO train for anatomy labs - Hamilton straight to Toronto - it's probably worth your sanity. You can also study on the train...better use of your 2 hours!

Also, they may be changing anatomy around a bit for MAMers because of the Gardiner construction. I was at a meeting recently where different ideas were flying around (but there was no consensus yet made).

Definitely agree with above. I commuted from Mississauga to Hamilton for undergrad (am now at MAM). The undergrad commute was do-able because its a straight GO bus. But if you have to go from Hamilton to Mississauga and then to Toronto on some days (if you decide to do some ECs or research that may require you to go to Toronto) it would be really hard on you.

Not a U of T student, but I do the opposite commute so thought I'd chime in. I live in Mississauga (walking distance to the Square One GO bus station), and am just finishing first year at Mac. I've been commuting, and will continue to commute (my SO is in law school at Osgoode, so we live halfway in between the two schools). The only reason that it's doable for me to do the commute is that I'm going against traffic the majority of the time (I take the GO bus about 50% of the time and drive the other half, any time I'm at a hospital or teaching location off campus), but even then it still sucks. Compared to my classmates who live within walking/short bussing distance of campus, I tend to lose at least 10 hours per week commuting. Sometimes I can do work on the bus, but not always. The biggest annoyance for me is when I have a long break between classes (5 or 6 hours), and can't just go home for a few hours. To think that you'd even have to be at St. George on top of MAM for some sessions, that's a lot of commuting.

That said, it really depends on your reasons - even though the commute isn't ideal, it's worth it to me to be able to live with my SO and see him every day instead of just on weekends. If it was to save money or something though (eg living with parents) I'd definitely advise against it - for one thing, commuting has turned out to be way more expensive than I budgeted for (feel free to PM me if you want numbers), and the benefits don't really outweigh the costs in that situation. It's definitely a personal decision though. :)

Archived