Premed 101 Forums

Foreign Medical Grad Finds Ontario System Tough To Crack

ploughboy

I have never understood the mentality of these kinds of articles.  Do they actually think that Canada, not limited to Ontario, 'owes' IMGs something?  These people are presumably adults, so why are they not capable of doing their own research and deciding if the risks are worth the possible benefits?  

I'm of the opinion that just because you desire to do something (i.e. Medicine), or work somewhere (i.e. Canada), doesn't mean it will happen.  This is a reality even for CMGs.  Ultimately, you have to make calculated decisions and even if you work hard and possess the necessary skills, you may still end up somewhere you hate or unemployed all together.  It's called the land of opportunities, not the land of guarantees..

I don't deny the process could be more seamless, and less punishing.  But, I could probably say the same thing for pretty much everything else in life.  At some point or another, people need to take the system at face value, and realize it's not going to change fast enough to benefit you.  If that ends up being fuel for an internal fire, then please start advocating on behalf of future generations.  In the mean time, plan your own life according to reality.

/endrant

• 3 weeks later...

i never understand the rationale behind recruiting more foreign doctors instead of training more canadian medical students.

Putting a medical student through medical school and residency is expensive and time consuming.

If you can get a fully trained family physician on the dime of another country, who will willingly claw at the chance to practice in an underserved area for a few years, then why not? It is called underserved for a reason.

I have never understood the mentality of these kinds of articles.  Do they actually think that Canada, not limited to Ontario, 'owes' IMGs something?  These people are presumably adults, so why are they not capable of doing their own research and deciding if the risks are worth the possible benefits?  

I'm of the opinion that just because you desire to do something (i.e. Medicine), or work somewhere (i.e. Canada), doesn't mean it will happen.  This is a reality even for CMGs.  Ultimately, you have to make calculated decisions and even if you work hard and possess the necessary skills, you may still end up somewhere you hate or unemployed all together.  It's called the land of opportunities, not the land of guarantees..

I don't deny the process could be more seamless, and less punishing.  But, I could probably say the same thing for pretty much everything else in life.  At some point or another, people need to take the system at face value, and realize it's not going to change fast enough to benefit you.  If that ends up being fuel for an internal fire, then please start advocating on behalf of future generations.  In the mean time, plan your own life according to reality.

/endrant

In a word it could be marketing.

Look who sends their children overseas to medical school (obviously they are getting help from somewhere). Now those people want their children to come home to work here. They are organized, powerful, wealthy as a rule, and highly motivated. Plus one other thing - persistent :)

Whether you think they should be able to return or not, it would be illogical to underestimate the politics of the situation. CMGs are on top right now, and anyone on top ever is always going to be a target.

Archived