Premed 101 Forums

Can People With Naq>30 Post What They Had?

We always try to post GPA and MCAT scores and look for correlations.

but for UBC, I think it is also important to look at the EC to understand how UBC grades their students on NAQ.

I was wondering if people who had a high naq can eloborate on what they had and how many hours they had.

If you don't want to make it specific for privacy reasons, you can substitute an alternative activity.

I think this is something many would benefit from.

It's also interesting to note what people didn't have. I had a 33 and here's what I didn't have: 

- scholarships

- awards

- student club positions

- research publications

Here's what I had:

- themes to my work

- consistent direction in my work 

- long-term focus on particular causes, not necessarily limited to one activity

- targeted CanMeds skills

- wide range of type of activities within my theme and focus

- clear progression in my work

I'm going to say it again. It's not what you do that counts. It's the why and the how that matters along with your ability to present yourself.

Do no, I repeat, do not present yourself as a gunning premed (resume padding, committing to activities that "look good on a resume" - trust me I've heard so many of these) that wants to be a medical student. Rather focus on demonstrating skills and experiences that show why you're going to be an outstanding physician.

It's also interesting to note what people didn't have. I had a 33 and here's what I didn't have: 

- scholarships

- awards

- student club positions

- research publications

Here's what I had:

- themes to my work

- consistent direction in my work 

- long-term focus on particular causes, not necessarily limited to one activity

- targeted CanMeds skills

- wide range of type of activities within my theme and focus

- clear progression in my work

I'm going to say it again. It's not what you do that counts. It's the why and the how that matters along with your ability to present yourself.

Do no, I repeat, do not present yourself as a gunning premed (resume padding, committing to activities that "look good on a resume" - trust me I've heard so many of these) that wants to be a medical student. Rather focus on demonstrating skills and experiences that show why you're going to be an outstanding physician.

Can you let us know more about the number of hours you dedicated to your activities? thanks

I would think that if you have a long duration, a large time commitment is expected unless it is a once a year type activity. Example, I am in charge of a fundraiser once a year, so it is not a consistent thing every year in terms of hours. Like it will be a large number of hours for one month a year.  

But lets say you volunteer at the hospital, I would think 100 hours over 3 years is not enough.

This is all speculation of course. 

I keep hearing about people who have had major NAQ drops from one year to the next. Has anyone heard of a jump in NAQ or does this rarely happen?

That was due to changes in how NAQ was calculated. It was standardized amongst the app pool last year, and presumably this year too. People definitely have bumped their naqs up from last year to this year, as seen in the thread. There have also been people who stalemated or dropped. Hard to tell how it plays out, since it depends on how awesome the app pool is and the type of ECs you have.

Here's a little bit more info about my NAQ's. To maintain anonymity I wont go in too much detail.

Compared to what other people on this forum have done, my activities are pretty ordinary.

- Senior care facilities (long term), Kids camps  (lt), Research assistant, Tutoring & mentoring, Non profit organization exec, Multiple Special Events volunteer, Intramural sports , student club, diverse travels, and a few other unorganized community related volunteering

- Held 2 jobs throughout UG with a full course load - 1 PT/FT, 2 FT.  I needed these to support my family.  

To describe my activities I followed the advice of my friends currently in med school. I followed the Help Guide. Each category looks for specific qualities. Your job is to describe activities within those categories in a way that demonstrates those abilities. Where I had extra space left I added a few words about what I learned to show personal development, but emphasis was still on responsibilities. Use concise descriptions that include duties, people involved and impact you made. Avoid using filler words to polish your descriptions, Adcoms are not stupid and such indicators could make them less receptive towards your achievements. The less vague it is, the easier it is for adcoms to understand and will keep them focused on your application. I know it looks good to the applicant but for an adcom the words 'adapt' and 'cope' mean the same thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived