Premed 101 Forums

Asking Dentist For Reference Letter

So I'm applying to Detroit Mercy Dental school and I realized they need a recommendation letter from a dentist. The thing is I have never really shadowed a dentist. I'm visiting my dentist today, and fortunately she is the same dentist that my mom did co-op with for her dental assistant course. So I don't think the dentist will mind writing a reference letter. But I'm wondering should I ask the dentist if I can shadow her first and then ask her for a reference letter? or should I ask her directly for a reference letter? Thank-you, i'm not quite sure how to approach this situation :(

Edit: Couldn't get the reference letter in time and so i got rejected :( fmL

Most if not all American schools actually do indeed require a reference letter from a dentist as well as some shadowing. Though most aren't hard and fast rules schools generally have guidelines as to how many hours of shadowing they want you to have done. NYU for example recommends at least 100 hours worth.

I'd shadow first. Then toward the end of your shadowing experience, ask the dentist if they'd be willing to write you a reference letter. If they're willing to allow you to be present in the operatories while they work, chances are they're happy to write you a letter. One is certainly much easier than the other. An extra body in the operatory for hours a day can be distracting, and can get in the way, so they're definitely doing you a favour.

So I'm applying to Detroit Mercy Dental school and I realized they need a recommendation letter from a dentist. The thing is I have never really shadowed a dentist. I'm visiting my dentist today, and fortunately she is the same dentist that my mom did co-op with for her dental assistant course. So I don't think the dentist will mind writing a reference letter. But I'm wondering should I ask the dentist if I can shadow her first and then ask her for a reference letter? or should I ask her directly for a reference letter? Thank-you, i'm not quite sure how to approach this situation :(

I think it's better to shadow and then get the dentist to write you a reference letter, that way they will have something to say in terms of writing you that letter. 

It just gives bulk to the letter instead of the "I think "so-and-so" would be a great dentist because of 1. 2. and 3. 

they can talk about you actually seeing procedures conducted i.e extractions, root canals etc and you showing interest 

good luck :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived