Premed 101 Forums

Course Load Road Map

Wartortle

Thanks for the input everyone. Also just to clarify, what I meant when I said "Looks at all courses (CGPA)" I just meant that they don't care about course load, unless otherwise stated under another subsection such as FAQ on the school's website. Hopefully this can get stickied so it can really help users who are confused.

Sigmund I added the point you made. However, I believe in total you do require 10 courses but if you have taken atleast 8 courses during an academic year (September to April) you will have to make up for the credits during the summer or another academic year. Is this correct?

that is my understanding :)

Sigmund I added the point you made. However, I believe in total you do require 10 courses but if you have taken atleast 8 courses during an academic year (September to April) you will have to make up for the credits during the summer or another academic year. Is this correct?

Yes. This is correct. I meant that they require 4 credits in a year, not courses. Sorry about the confusion.  

Hi everyone 

I have a question about my UOTTAWA application. So I am in my 4th year and I already applied to MD program, I have my 1st,2nd and 3rd year with full course load but unfortunately due to some problems I decided to take only 5 courses in my 4th(2.5 credits) year and defer my graduation to next year first semester. Do you know whether I am still eligible or not? and If I be eligible but not get in this year which years will be looked at toward my wGPA for the next application cycle? 

Thanks a lot

• 2 weeks later...

I looked on the University of Western Ontario admission requirements, and it says that you need 6/10 courses to be a 300 level course or higher only if you are "embarking in a second undergraduate degree program". Can somebody confirm what a second undergraduate degree program is, and if I'm okay if I'm just in normal undergrad? Thanks.

Hey UWO,

A second undergraduate is simply an undergraduate degree you pursue, usually in a different subject of study, after completing your first undergraduate. Example: Person X has a B.Sc. in biology that he/she completed in 2012 and is now finishing a B.Sc. in astronomy, which will be completed in 2016. In your case I am assuming you are completing your first undergraduate degree like most of us. For your questions about if you are OK, yes you are IF the degree you are completing follows the same rules that are posted above. The rules are the same regardless of which degree, unless they very recently changed it, but I am very sure the rules are the same regardless of degree or if it is a special non-degree year.

Hi! 

I'm sorry if this is redundant but I just want to clarify. The wording on the uOttawa website has me slightly panicked when it says "if the missing course/credit is completed either as an additional course within another academic year". Does this mean that it has to be taken above and beyond the regular course load (e.g. over 5 courses/semester)? Or does this mean it can be made up in a new semester?

I took 4 courses/semester the last 2 years and I took an extra semester to complete the additional 4 courses. Do you think I am still eligible?

Thanks!  ^_^ 

For anyone interested:

I called uOttawa admissions and was told that this was fine. Essentially, you just need to have 3 years of full-time studies (4 courses/semester) by the time you apply! It doesn't matter if you take the extra courses in another year or during the summer, so long as the equivalent of 3 years have been completed.

• 1 year later...