Premed 101 Forums

Anxiety With Waiting

Gundabba

I am looking for support here: I am going mad with waiting for Jan 19th. Did I miss the memo on how to deal with waiting game? Left to my own devices, I have thought up gizillion of possible ways for how everything can go south. I have driven my best friend and family up the wall, even my cat now hates me. I don't think my boyfriend can withstand me any longer either. How does any of you deal with it?

As well, I have some questions for those of you who might know something regarding reapplicant.  I was rejected post-interview last year. I have been looking back to my interviews critically and I figured some mistakes might have made me sound like a right idiot. I was wondering whether they would have kept any notes regarding our last performance. Does McGill keep your files from last cycle? As well, I have included a job that I did not include in my last cpvn. Back then, I assumed stupidly that McGill would not be interested in a long term yet menial job. During this cycle, I thought I might as well go all in so I have included it. Do you think McGill will compare this year's cpvn to last year's one. Will they look upon it unfavorably?  

Thanks

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as McGill comparing this year's application to last year's, I asked them that once (Vesna) and they said no, and I believe it wouldn't be fair if they actually did that. In my application, I was rejected post-interview 2 years ago, last year I was not even invited, so who knows what goes on in that office.

As for your stress, I think everyone goes through that to a certain extent. You just have to believe in yourself and that you will pull through in no time, hopefully positively.

well it's without a doubt somewhat stressful experience. You have no control over anything right now. That's the problem.

Just live life normally, and stop talking about your anxiety all the time. It does annoy others :P

Menial job or not, what's the problem? I can't see in any way how it can impact your negatively.

Until then, I wish you good luck, and try to take your mind off of it and enjoy life.

What exactly should we expect if we're invited for an interview/rejected? First time applier here - do you receive an email? Also from previous experiences, were they on time? Is Jan 19th pretty solid or do you think it might be delayed (for whatever reason)? Or alternatively, have they ever sent out invites/rejections early? Thanks!

bellejolie1, this might be help you:

I am international so our interview invites have already been sent out and I saw mine by accident. I didn't even know the date they were supposed to be disseminated (I think it was actually posted on the same day that they sent out the invitations) and I randomly decided to check my minerva portal. I was procrastinating studying I think, lol. Anyway my portal status had been updated to "Further Review Required" and there were new places to upload documents, one which included my interview date and time. I kind of freaked out and thought I was waitlisted for an interview and thats what it meant, or something and I was calling my boyfriend (a McGill med graduate) trying to figure out what it meant. Eventually, on the McGill faq I learned this is what they say when you are invited for an interview (who knows why they have to code it like that though!). 

This was on Dec. 17th, the day they said the international invites would go out but I didn't get an email until a few days after (I didn't even tell my parents until I got the email because it didn't feel real lol)

I think I recall it being delayed last year though. I think the general trend is that the interview invites go out on the date set (unless the twitter announces a delay) and then it sort of becomes rolling as some people don't accept the interview within the allotted time (5 business days).

good luck! 

Thank you, everyone! It is gratifying to know that I am not alone in this mad rush. Sometimes, it felt as if my friends have no understanding at all about what I am going through: the emotional investment, years of work... 

In my opinion, it's a bit dangerous to see it that way. Try to avoid making your pursuit too personal; you'll just suffer a whole lot more if you do. Don't make it about you, or what you CAN and CAN'T do. The application process is just one way of selection among many others, and it has its own biases. What I mean is: a rejection won't tell you that you're incompetent, but only that you don't meet THEIR own criteria.

Try to be more objective (I know it's easier said than done, and I'm also quite anxious about the interviews as well). You're doing your best, and it may work or not. If it doesn't, well, you'll just find another path to climb that mountain of yours. The path you choose won't define you, because rather it's how you do it and what  accomplishments you make along the way that will.

Last tip from a psych student: let me tell you that "nailing" that dream career has no long-term effect whatsoever on your subjective well-being. In other words, you won't be happier (for sure at first, but it'll go down to it's natural baseline after a while). It's the sad sad truth, and it's insane how our society makes such a big deal about careers. Truth is: there a LOT of other things that will define who you are as a person.

Cheers (and I hope that helped a bit)!

Thank you, everyone! It is gratifying to know that I am not alone in this mad rush. Sometimes, it felt as if my friends have no understanding at all about what I am going through: the emotional investment, years of work... 

I've been rejected by McGill twice now after two application cycles, post-interview. I totally get the emotional investment bit, it took me a loooonnnnngggg while to over my last one.

Yet, as FlorenceOD posted:

Try to avoid making your pursuit too personal; you'll just suffer a whole lot more if you do. Don't make it about you, or what you CAN and CAN'T do. The application process is just one way of selection among many others, and it has its own biases. What I mean is: a rejection won't tell you that you're incompetent, but only that you don't meet THEIR own criteria.

Try to be more objective (I know it's easier said than done, and I'm also quite anxious about the interviews as well). You're doing your best, and it may work or not. If it doesn't, well, you'll just find another path to climb that mountain of yours. The path you choose won't define you, because rather it's how you do it and what  accomplishments you make along the way that will.

I received my 2nd rejection last March… not happy times. But I (finally) decided I had to change how I thought about things. I've always been a worrier, but I've been trying to change that. So I decided I would treat the following (this) year as a gift year: whatever I'd do- academically, extracurricularly, occupationally- would only have been possible because I hadn't gotten in. I don't mean crazy stuff, just things things that I was in a position to do and know I wouldn't be able to do, or do easily, if I were in med school. Of course, I know med students have lives outside school! But everyone has to admit that med school is time consuming (understatement). My point is, if you realized you were going to get into med school this year, what are some things you would want to do before you got in? 

I've been trying to remember to live in the moment, I realized I don't want to wish my life away 'until i get in.' I'm not saying you're doing this, I just know that this was unfortunately something I was tending to do at times when I felt particularly despairing after my rejections. But I want to make sure I'm living my life while still working towards something that, as you said, I've put "emotional investment, years of work" into. I want to enjoy that work and emotional investment because I'm doing things I care about (and then it's not really work or as emotionally draining). I don't want to think that I'm in some holding pattern until I 'get in.' This time matters too. I've met people this past year I wouldn't have met if I had gotten into mcGill last cycle, and there are friends I've reconnected with because of this extra year. I know I'm not the same person who got rejected the first time I applied. I realized that every year I don't get in is another year towards the person I'll be when I do eventually get in. Does that make sense?

UGH, this is all probably the last thing you want to hear and doesn't help at all with your anxiety. And who am I kidding? My stomach totally flipped when this was posted

Just thought you'd like to know, but it seems that the date has been changed to Jan 20th !! An extra 24hours to wait :)

http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/categories/roq/md-roq-u

ahhhhhhh….

In my opinion, it's a bit dangerous to see it that way. Try to avoid making your pursuit too personal; you'll just suffer a whole lot more if you do. Don't make it about you, or what you CAN and CAN'T do. The application process is just one way of selection among many others, and it has its own biases. What I mean is: a rejection won't tell you that you're incompetent, but only that you don't meet THEIR own criteria.

Try to be more objective (I know it's easier said than done, and I'm also quite anxious about the interviews as well). You're doing your best, and it may work or not. If it doesn't, well, you'll just find another path to climb that mountain of yours. The path you choose won't define you, because rather it's how you do it and what  accomplishments you make along the way that will.

Last tip from a psych student: let me tell you that "nailing" that dream career has no long-term effect whatsoever on your subjective well-being. In other words, you won't be happier (for sure at first, but it'll go down to it's natural baseline after a while). It's the sad sad truth, and it's insane how our society makes such a big deal about careers. Truth is: there a LOT of other things that will define who you are as a person.

Cheers (and I hope that helped a bit)!

I completely agree with you and I am really happy with many people who are sharing their experience. I am sure they are very valuable to everyone in this forum who are looking for perspective. Also, @FlorenceOD, I must admit, at time, the process does get the better of me. Normally, I try to look at it with objective eyes. However, as the day approaches, I found myself looking at the calender quite uncomfortably. However, just like what @RedLily have mentioned, I have learnt alot about myself with this year off. Time, in any case and to a certain extent, does numb the punch of last year's rejection. 

Another point that you (@FlorenceOD) have raised and I again agree wholeheartedly is the non-existence of eternal happiness, there is a baseline that it must return to. Fortunately, pain seems to follow the same rule.  

I hope that, faaaaar into the future, I can look back with fond memories to this rather unnerving period.

I've been rejected by McGill twice now after two application cycles, post-interview. I totally get the emotional investment bit, it took me a loooonnnnngggg while to over my last one.

Yet, as FlorenceOD posted:

I received my 2nd rejection last March… not happy times. But I (finally) decided I had to change how I thought about things. I've always been a worrier, but I've been trying to change that. So I decided I would treat the following (this) year as a gift year: whatever I'd do- academically, extracurricularly, occupationally- would only have been possible because I hadn't gotten in. I don't mean crazy stuff, just things things that I was in a position to do and know I wouldn't be able to do, or do easily, if I were in med school. Of course, I know med students have lives outside school! But everyone has to admit that med school is time consuming (understatement). My point is, if you realized you were going to get into med school this year, what are some things you would want to do before you got in? 

I've been trying to remember to live in the moment, I realized I don't want to wish my life away 'until i get in.' I'm not saying you're doing this, I just know that this was unfortunately something I was tending to do at times when I felt particularly despairing after my rejections. But I want to make sure I'm living my life while still working towards something that, as you said, I've put "emotional investment, years of work" into. I want to enjoy that work and emotional investment because I'm doing things I care about (and then it's not really work or as emotionally draining). I don't want to think that I'm in some holding pattern until I 'get in.' This time matters too. I've met people this past year I wouldn't have met if I had gotten into mcGill last cycle, and there are friends I've reconnected with because of this extra year. I know I'm not the same person who got rejected the first time I applied. I realized that every year I don't get in is another year towards the person I'll be when I do eventually get in. Does that make sense?

UGH, this is all probably the last thing you want to hear and doesn't help at all with your anxiety. And who am I kidding? My stomach totally flipped when this was posted

ahhhhhhh….

This statement is so wisely said: "Remember to live in the moment...". Such a simple statement should not be a lesson that we must often be reminded of, but it seems to be one that we (or really just me) often seem to forget. And, just like you have said, there are indeed many things that I have done this year that I could not have done otherwise. You sounds just like someone that I would be very happy to know and be friend with and I hope we will be in the near future. This also applied to everyone: one can never have enough friends :D 

Just thought you'd like to know, but it seems that the date has been changed to Jan 20th !! An extra 24hours to wait :)

http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/categories/roq/md-roq-u

Regardless of my lofty sentiments and statements above, I rather sure that I will be spamming F5 till kingdom coms on the 20th. Live life as it comes: be damned.

I am undecided and hopefully I will be able to decide soon:

1. My work place; Pro: Familiar enough with good computer and high bandwidth. Con: I don't think my supervisor will appreciate my "emotional imbalance". I also don't think my passive-aggressive relationship with my centrifuge will be helpful at all for me.

2. My Home; Pro: Home, what can I say more. Con: I don't believe my cat can withstand my emotional outbust, good or bad, anymore. He is such a dear old pet and I was told by his vet to be kind to his heart.

3. My mom's shop; Pro: the support of yours truly. Con: My neighbour and the public at large will finally have proof that I am cracked for good, regardless of outcome.

4. Musee des beaux arts; Pro: Beautiful surrounding and I haven't been there for some times. If things go well, it will be in the midst of impressive artworks. Con: If things go south, I don't want to be responsible for any valuable objet d'art. Beside, it is too public, just imagine the headline of the wenesday montreal gazette.

This statement is so wisely said: "Remember to live in the moment...". Such a simple statement should not be a lesson that we must often be reminded of, but it seems to be one that we (or really just me) often seem to forget. And, just like you have said, there are indeed many things that I have done this year that I could not have done otherwise. You sounds just like someone that I would be very happy to know and be friend with and I hope we will be in the near future. This also applied to everyone: one can never have enough friends :D

Hey same here! Here's to all of us getting interviews and freaking out about it together  :D

Where will you guys be on the 20th? I'm afraid I might lose it at work.  :P

Before the date changed to the 20th, I was happy because I was going to be home all day and could do my weird process of logging into Minerva, clicking on the applicant tab thingy, be about to click 'check status' but then chickening out and logging off (repeating this process every 5 minutes for 3 hours) and then finally checking: because I neither received an interview or did-not-receive an interview until I check. But I'm basically at school all day the 20th and I'm afraid of somehow deleting my application if I try to check during class with my phone... plus 'emotional imbalance' isn't appreciated by profs either  :P  (wait this plan all hinged on how I think we get notified, but now I'm blanking on how it worked in the past. We don't get told in an email, we get an email saying "check your Minerva status chump," right?)

4. Musee des beaux arts; Pro: Beautiful surrounding and I haven't been there for some times. If things go well, it will be in the midst of impressive artworks. Con: If things go south, I don't want to be responsible for any valuable objet d'art. Beside, it is too public, just imagine the headline of the wenesday montreal gazette.

hahahaha do this one, "A McGill medical school applicant began hugging random strangers yesterday…"  :D

Hey same here! Here's to all of us getting interviews and freaking out about it together  :D

Before the date changed to the 20th, I was happy because I was going to be home all day and could do my weird process of logging into Minerva, clicking on the applicant tab thingy, be about to click 'check status' but then chickening out and logging off (repeating this process every 5 minutes for 3 hours) and then finally checking: because I neither received an interview or did-not-receive an interview until I check. But I'm basically at school all day the 20th and I'm afraid of somehow deleting my application if I try to check during class with my phone... plus 'emotional imbalance' isn't appreciated by profs either  :P  (wait this plan all hinged on how I think we get notified, but now I'm blanking on how it worked in the past. We don't get told in an email, we get an email saying "check your Minerva status chump," right?)

hahahaha do this one, "A McGill medical school applicant began hugging random strangers yesterday…"  :D

In fact, I believe whatever the decision is, you'll get an e-mail titled "Notice of decision" that explains what the outcome of your application is and if invited how to confirm your attendance.

In fact, I believe whatever the decision is, you'll get an e-mail titled "Notice of decision" that explains what the outcome of your application is and if invited how to confirm your attendance.

Thanks, and you're right, I just went back through my old emails and that's exactly what they do. I'm going to be refreshing my email all day Tuesday…   

Is there an email sent if your status on Minerva has been updated? Or do you just have to check regularly tomorrow? Thanks!

According to previous years. yes there will be an e-mail sent titled "Notice of decision // Avis de decision" at the end of the day (last year 10:30pm for me) but minerva updates will occur throughout the day.

Archived