Premed 101 Forums

Queen's 2018 Ama

So for the first two years of school, I know we have classes from August/September until Winter break, and then January until March break and March break until May. I was wondering around what time in May classes/exams wrap up? i.e. near the start or near the end? Any info would be appreciated!! Thanks :)

So for the first two years of school, I know we have classes from August/September until Winter break, and then January until March break and March break until May. I was wondering around what time in May classes/exams wrap up? i.e. near the start or near the end? Any info would be appreciated!! Thanks :)

Exams finish at the end of May. In first year we also have community week from June 1st-5th.

Also can anyone comment on the demographics of the class? For example age and background?

Also what is the teaching style and content like? Is the emphasis more on clinical or scientific? For example are you expected to learn and know about content like the Krebs cycle, in depth anatomy etc. 

Thanks in advance :) 

Can you elaborate on your curriculum? How are your courses structured?

What is your evaluations like? exams for each course? or exams at the end of the semester?

What is needed on each exam to pass a course? (60%? 65%? 70%?)

Check out the Whats Up Doc? website (linked on the facebook group) and http://meds.queensu.ca/education/undergraduate/prospective_students/curriculum for more information on the courses. Don't really know how much you want elaborated - let me know if you have more specific questions!

We have midterms and exams for each course. Midterms are usually formative and not worth more than 15-20%, with exams worth 50-60%. You need at least a 65% to pass each course (pretty standard for all med schools, but the course averages tend to be way higher than this cutoff so no worries in that respect.

Also can anyone comment on the demographics of the class? For example age and background?

Also what is the teaching style and content like? Is the emphasis more on clinical or scientific? For example are you expected to learn and know about content like the Krebs cycle, in depth anatomy etc. 

Thanks in advance :)

We're pretty diverse :) 1/3rd of the class is from grad programs. We have people from both coasts, the prairies, and even the territories! People come from science, music, engineering, and humanities programs. Age ranges from early 20s to early 30s. A few parents/parents-to-be in our class.

Teaching style really depends on the prof teaching you, but they are all taking the time out of their busy practices to come and teach you. Therefore, not only are they experts in their field but they are genuinely excited to teach you. There's more of a focus on the big concept picture than minute details in med school (no memorizing of the Kreb's cycle yet!). There is a lot of anatomy because it's a foundation for every other subject you'll take; but all of us from non-life science backgrounds survived the course just fine! While they give some scientific, I would say there's more of a focus on clinical - they try to relate each concept to a real-life medical issue so we recognize the problem when we see it in clinic.

Thanks Dassy!

I also can't find fees information on the website, do you (or anyone else) happen to have a fees breakdown?

Np :)

Check out here for fees/cost: http://www.queensu.ca/registrar/sites/webpublish.queensu.ca.uregwww/files/files/Tuition_2014_2015_UG_Domestic.pdf

Check out here for FAQs/How to make payments: http://www.queensu.ca/registrar/financials/tuition-fees

You should be getting an email/package from Queens that also details this information later on in the summer.

• 4 weeks later...

Do you have any recommendations for a new laptop? I'm debating between a Macbook Air and a Macbook Pro. Is there any reason to pick one over the other? What do most students have?

Honestly, right now a Macbook Air would be a terrible purchase considering the hardware it's packing. If you had to go Apple, I'd go Pro, but I would highly recommend getting the new Dell XPS 13 with infinity display if you wanted something lighter and more "ultrabook"-esque. It puts the Macbook Air to shame regarding memory, processing power, etc. Due to the nearly non-existent bezel, it's a 13inch laptop screen in the chasis of a standard 11inch laptop. Super lightweight, with amazing battery life.

Do you have any recommendations for a new laptop? I'm debating between a Macbook Air and a Macbook Pro. Is there any reason to pick one over the other? What do most students have?

I was debating between the air and pro and went for the pro. It's 1lb heavier than the air but the specs were a lot better. I haven't really strained my computer yet but it's been great so far. 

I debated this a couple years ago and went with the Pro with retina display and a few upgrades. The computing power and the display are just much better, without much of a trade off for portability. There is also the new MacBook, which I can't really comment on since it wasn't around when I was in the market.

I debated this a couple years ago and went with the Pro with retina display and a few upgrades. The computing power and the display are just much better, without much of a trade off for portability. There is also the new MacBook, which I can't really comment on since it wasn't around when I was in the market.

I agree, the performance and the quality of the display on the Pro far outweigh any loss in portability since the Pro is already so light. I think the new MacBook is unnecessarily expensive for its performance. I'd say the Pro is your best bet at this point - I've been loving mine.

I would go for the Air. I was in a similar situation earlier this year and after thorough consideration I picked up a macbook air and have not regretted it. The battery life of the air is unmatched by the pro and that was a huge factor for me. I use my laptop mostly for email, web browsing and microsoft office so the extended battery life and lighter weight were great. Keep in mind the air does not have a cd-rom or an ethernet port if that is something you're interested in. It's designed for productivity on the go. 

• 1 year later...

Hello! I am currently a registered nurse and plan on taking a year off to work as a nurse, gain more experience and hopefully get involved in research, as well as take additional courses. I am wondering if Queen's has a certain perception (for lack of a better term) on nurses applying to medical school? 

Also, are there any previous nurses in your class? :) 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...