Premed 101 Forums

Uoft Interview Invites/regrets 2015

Please post only invites/regrets. Discussion will be here.

It will make it easier for everyone if you guys follow this format as usual:

TIME STAMP: XX:XX
Interview Date: MM DD
Result: Invite / Reject
wGPA:
MCAT: PS/VR/BS/WS
ECs: 
Essays:
Year: UG, Masters, PhD
Geography : IP/OP? 

Any discussion in this thread will be erased so please post only stats here!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TIME STAMP: 11:25AM
Interview Date: Feb. 21st (MD/PhD) & Feb. 22nd (MD)
Result: Invitation!! :D
wGPA: 3.92
MCAT: 12/10/10/--
ECs: A lot during undergrad and even now during grad (lots of mentoring, health promotion, sports) and took on lots of leadership positions. 
Essays: Worked at this for a long time, lots of reflection and polished it until I felt they shined. Felt good about them.
Year: Master's
Geography : IP

TIME STAMP: 11:54 AM
Interview Date: Feb. 21/22 (MD/PhD)
Result: Invite!
wGPA: 3.90
MCAT: 12/11/13/--
ECs: 3 years of research, publication, NSERC, student leadership, hospital volunteer
Essays: Spent lots of time on it, got several people to proof-read prior to submitting. Guess they liked them!
Year: 4th year UG

Looking forward to meeting everyone in the MD/PhD stream on interview date!

TIME STAMP: 4:14 PM
Interview Date: Feb. 21/22 (MD/PhD)
Result: Invite
wGPA: 3.94
MCAT: +9/+9/+9/--
ECs: Overall ~ 2 years of wet lab research experience in different labs (polymer chem, oncology, genomics). 4 co-authorships, including a 2nd author. Various posters and oral presentations. Typical student leadership involvement, club activity, student mentoring, TAing, volunteering.
Essays: Rushed, and felt they could have been a lot better.

This was a pleasant surprise today.... but now getting very nervous. Still excited to meet everyone else!

TIME STAMP: 4:24 pm Jan 29th 
Interview Date: Feb. 22 MD
wGPA: cGPA 3.98 at application, Idk if they removed my worst grades cause I got the credits for the first year of uni but if so, then my wGPA is 4.0
MCAT: +9/+9/+9/--
ECs: Overall ~ average see my McGIll/Ottawa post for more information

Essays: Felt sooooo unsure about them. This is honestly a shock I'm so surprised and happy and wow

My 3 interviews are in the same week AH

TIME STAMP: 4:25 PM

Interview Date: 02 22
Result: INVITE!
wGPA: 4.0
MCAT: 13/11/13
ECs: Quite a few, but namely: research summer placement at toronto general hospital (heart transplant) from which I published an abstract as first author and did a poster presentation at the CCC. Research at sick kids. Sumer placement at fertility clinic lab. Volunteer trip to Kenya, weekly volunteer at a science club for underprivileged youth etc. 
Essays: worked on them for quite a while, was happy with the result. 

TIME STAMP: Jan. 29, 2015 4:20 PM so excited!!!!!

Interview Date: Feb. 21

wGPA: 3.98 (no weighting)

MCAT: 12/11/13

ECs: TAing, two first author publications, co-author on a few journal articles, abstracts and book chapters, powerlifting (competitive), volunteering at hospitals, tutoring experience, NSERC in molecular biology lab, science outreach volunteer, peer leader program, sports in high school, musical performances (talent shows, etc.), a few scholarships from my school, 1 oral presentation

Essays: Did them the week before they were due, got a few people to read over them, thought they were decent, had a typo in one of them haha :)

Year: 3rd year UG

Edit for more info: LORs are probably crazy good, they've all have known me for more than 2 years. This definitely contributed to my pre-interview score.

TIME STAMP: Jan. 29, 4:25 pm

Interview Date: Feb. 22 MD
wGPA: 3.99 (cGPA, didn't qualify for weighting)
MCAT: 13/9/13
ECs: Varsity track and field captain (competed at the national level), vice president of club executive, lots of work experience, average volunteering I think (a lot with marginalized populations), 15+ scholarships for both academics and community work. 
Essays: Felt very confident with them 

Year: 3rd year UG

TIME STAMP: 4:25 pm

Interview Date: Feb 22nd MD
wGPA: 4.0
MCAT: PS 11 /VR 10 /BS 12
ECs: Hospital volunteering, Research at hospital, club VP, TA, tutoring, overseas medical trip
Essays: Thought they were a little on the cheesy side, tried hard to avoid generic essays, but guess they went okay :) 

TIME STAMP: 4:20 on Jan 29TH
Result: Invite!!!
wGPA: 3.91 (Didn't qualify for weighting)
MCAT: 10/10/11 (PS/VR/BS)
ECs: Paid and volunteer work with newcomer populations; high school sports at the national level; business competitions at the international; tutoring since highschool; university committees; exec & pres on a few clubs; choirs since highschool; lab research assistant; clinical research; principal investigator on a funded project; first author pub; awards for research, academics, and community service.

Essays: Composed the week before they were due. LOTS of effort put into them. Drew a lot from the stuff put on my ABS. Edited multiple times by my two best friends. Both phenomenal writers and they knew me best. Satisfied at the end of the day.
Year: 4TH Year UG

TIME STAMP: 10:36 a.m.
Result: Regrets
wGPA: 3.84
MCAT: 11/11/10
ECs: I think strong
Essays: Worked really hard on them, had multiple people read them, hired consultant to read and advise.
Year: Graduated 1999

I'm very concerned that this might be about the OMSAS mess-up with my references.  Last year, I didn't hear back until the (almost) final big batch of regrets e-mails and my application was certainly stronger this year.  Can someone please post on the discussion board if you have heard about any other regrets at this point?  Is there any chance of having someone at U of T even take a second peek at my application because of this issue?

Good luck to all,

P

TIME STAMP: 10:34 a.m. Feb 10
Result: Regrets
wGPA: 3.80
MCAT: 7/10/10
ECs: Lots of volunteer hours; publications, etc.
Essays: ? Not good enough
Year: Master's completed; working
Geography : Unsure

I hope this helps the person above me out! However, I submitted the grad part of my app, to my horror,  a day late. So perhaps we both got rejected for incomplete applications? (Although with my MCAT, it's also no surprise that I got rejected) I can't rule that out for you, sorry!

TIME STAMP: Phone Call (Cancellation)
Interview Date: Feb. 22nd
Result: Invitation
wGPA: 3.91
MCAT: 13/9/11
ECs: Lots of research (from grad school), volunteering with local sports organizations and with various clubs during my masters, research and fitness employment.
Essays: Felt good about them. Lots of personal experiences and tons of revisions. Spent about 2 months writing/editing.
Year: MSc Completed

Wish I had more than 4 days to prepare for this, but what can you do... I am torn between overly excited and freaking out right now at the short notice. At least I am local.

TIME STAMP: Feb 21st, 9:24 PM
Interview Date: March 8th

wGPA: 3.99
MCAT: 11/10/14
ECs: hospital clinical research, lab based research, student association executive member, volunteer tutor, music  
Essays: felt pretty good about them
Year: 4th year undergrad 

TIME STAMP: Feb 21st, 9:24 PM

wGPA: 3.90
MCAT: 9/10/10
ECs: Hospital ER volunteer, sports, a couple scholarships, co-author in textbook, research in three labs  
Essays: spent a lot of time revising, felt confident in the final results
Year: Graduated UG last year 

TIME STAMP: Saturday, Feb 21st, 9:24 PM

wGPA: I don't know, cGPA is 3.87

MCAT: 14/13/11

ECs: A bunch of volunteering in undergrad, VP of program's graduate society for a bit, several paid jobs (worked ca. 16 hr/wk in undergrad), foreign academic exchange.

Research: Several pubs., conferences, etc.

Essays: ??? Thought they were okay, I spent a bunch of time on them.

Year: Completed Ph.D.; currently a Post. Doc.

Geography: IP

Archived