Premed 101 Forums

Uoft Interview Invites/regrets 2015

TIME STAMP: March 25th - 2:06PM
Result: Regrets
cGPA: 3.6, 3.8ish if eligible for weighting
MCAT: 12/10/11
ECs: Extensive IMHO - some research, lots of teaching, work with underprivileged youth, elder populations, some hospital
Essays: Felt great, spent nearly two weeks working on them because I was so close to an interview last year
Year: B.Sc, M.Sc (Math), B.Ed complete, second masters in progress
Geography: IP

--------------------

To be honest, if I hadn't already resigned myself to giving up medicine and pursuing other goals, I'd be utterly crushed by this. Absolutely devastated. Last year I was held onto until the last second when interviews were full (interview wait-list I assume?) so I figured I needed to better myself and I'd be pushed every so slightly up the list, into a coveted interview spot.

Either the applicant pool was much stronger this year (I'm not sure about this, as the applicant pool has actually shrunk by several hundred!), or whoever reviewed my file last year determined that I was eligible for weighting, and this year I wasn't...I've bettered myself in almost every way this cycle (sinking many hours into an MCAT re-write, substantial amounts of volunteering with "difficult patients" among other things, meticulously agonizing over every minuscule detail of my application, picked up a second masters), and it hasn't shown at all. In fact, I've absolutely no idea how long ago I was actually cut which makes things even harder (for all I know, this year they took one look at me, went "Pfft" and figuratively threw my app in the garbage).

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, not the result I was hoping for, but at this point I'm just glad it's over. 

TIME STAMP: April 6th - 10:30 AM EST
wGPA: 4.0
MCAT: 13/10/14
ECs: Feel fairly good about them. Probably around average to slightly above. 
Essays: Actually thought these were quite good. Had a couple friends edit them. 
Year: 4th Year UG
Geography: OOP

Congratulations to everyone who received an interview. You guys are awesome. Good luck with the interview. Onward to May 12th/15th!

TIME STAMP: April 6th, 10:30 AM

wGPA: 3.92

MCAT: 11/10/13 (PS/VR/BS)
ECs: physician shadowing (several specialties), summer clinical research, general/executive/President university club positions, MCAT instructor and several other teaching opportunities (in and out of country), residence staff member + relevant awards, scholarships, high school student council president, etc. 
Essays: Finished them close to the deadline but was quite happy with them. 

Year: 4 UG

Geography: IP

• 10 months later...

Time stamp: 2:28pm

Invite: Yes

IP/OOP: IP
cumulative GPA: 3.78; don't think I'm eligible for weighted GPA

Old MCAT: 10PS/11BS/10VR

New MCAT: 128CPBS/127CARS/130BBFL/126PSBB Total: 511

ECs: Several years of research, 1 publication, 3 manuscripts in prep, lot of undergraduate and graduate involvement in student groups and student gov’t, leader of a large not-for-profit student organization for many years, built schools and community centers in marginalized countries, volunteered in hospitals for years, completed my MSc and working as a research associate

Time stamp: 2:28pm

Invite: Yes

IP/OOP: IP

cumulative GPA: 3.78; don't think I'm eligible for weighted GPA

Old MCAT: 10PS/11BS/10VR

New MCAT: 128CPBS/127CARS/130BBFL/126PSBB Total: 511

ECs: Several years of research, 1 publication, 3 manuscripts in prep, lot of undergraduate and graduate involvement in student groups and student gov’t, leader of a large not-for-profit student organization for many years, built schools and community centers in marginalized countries, volunteered in hospitals for years, completed my MSc and working as a research associate

was this invite received yesterday? also what date is your interview? thanks!

Archived