Premed 101 Forums

Q&a With Mcgill Med Ambassadors

10 hours ago, Eudaimonia said:

Hi sharkeisha, for your first question you can look at the recent posts in the Post-refusal thread. 

I couldn't find any FB group for previous classes, maybe because they're private, so I'm not sure if Mcgill uses them. But I'm also moving to Montreal and am open to having a roommate if I can't find any suitable 1.5 units. Maybe we can make a thread here if the ambassadors confirm there is no FB group

Thanks for redirecting me, Eudaimonia!

Just to clarify, there are McGill MD FB groups (they are private and access is restricted by joining with your McGill email address if I am not wrong). I actually go to McGill and can see the MD groups for Classes 2019, 2020 and 2021. I'm just wondering when the 2022 FB group will be created!

Keep me in the loop if ever you're looking to have a roommate. Looking forward to meeting you in August! 

2 hours ago, sharkeisha said:

Thanks for redirecting me, Eudaimonia!

Just to clarify, there are McGill MD FB groups (they are private and access is restricted by joining with your McGill email address if I am not wrong). I actually go to McGill and can see the MD groups for Classes 2019, 2020 and 2021. I'm just wondering when the 2022 FB group will be created!

Keep me in the loop if ever you're looking to have a roommate. Looking forward to meeting you in August! 

The group hasn't been created yet, but it should be within the next couple of days/wks! If you still don't hear of anything in a couple of wks, get in touch and we'll hook you up!

1 hour ago, CanaD0c said:

@McGillMedAmbassadors

Thank you so much for this forum and the work you do, it’s incredibly helpful!

I was just wondering if you know of any McGill med students who had not finished their graduate studies by the time they started med school? Did they continue to work on their thesis/project while in school or finish up the following summer?

There were a few who finished their masters or Ph.D during med school. Not gonna lie, it will be hard to find time to finish grad school at the same time. So, definitely possible but it is challenging. There are 3-4 who defended their PhD during preclerkship.

10 hours ago, CanaD0c said:

@McGillMedAmbassadors

Thank you so much for this forum and the work you do, it’s incredibly helpful!

I was just wondering if you know of any McGill med students who had not finished their graduate studies by the time they started med school? Did they continue to work on their thesis/project while in school or finish up the following summer?

Just like Arztin said - can be challenging but has been done, usually in preclerkship though because afterwards it gets much busier. If you want to talk to someone who has been through this situation about it, let us know and we'll connect you!

Related to the above, do we get a "finalized" acceptance letter via email/mail once we fulfill all conditions of admission? Or just anything that lets us know that they've reviewed all our paperwork (immunization, BLSC, transcript, etc.), approved them and marked us as officially admitted? I don't wanna have a bad surprise comes August haha

4 hours ago, Organeer said:

Post-acceptance, are we expecting anything in snail mail? 

3 hours ago, MedP111 said:

Related to the above, do we get a "finalized" acceptance letter via email/mail once we fulfill all conditions of admission? Or just anything that lets us know that they've reviewed all our paperwork (immunization, BLSC, transcript, etc.), approved them and marked us as officially admitted? I don't wanna have a bad surprise comes August haha

Hello Organeer and MedP111,

The only and final admission letter that is sent to newly admitted students is the PDF document uploaded to your Minerva account. However, as you upload all your paperwork, your Checklist will be updated accordingly. You will be notified by the admissions committee, before the deadline to upload documents, should there be anything that was not received. That being said, please note that you will not be receiving a second offer of admission once all of your documents are uploaded and marked received. 

Hello, 

I interviewed at McGill this year but did not get in :(

I think a major reason as to why I did not get in is because my prerequisites from CEGEP are not great... 

I am aware that I can take the 4 recommended courses and that these can replace my 7 prereqs from CEGEP. I have already taken 2.

Here is my dilemma, I need to take molecular biology (BIOL200) and Cell Biology and Metabolism (BIOL201) still. BIOL 201 is only offered in the winter which means I cannot take it at McGill. BIOL200 I can take in the fall 2018 semester. 

I was wondering if you have any suggestions as to where/how I can take an equivalent BIOL 201 either in the summer or fall semester? I found an online class at a different university but I need to be sure that it will actually be able to count for the BIOL 201 course. Have you heard of anyone in your years doing this? 

Thank you! 

25 minutes ago, canada747 said:

Hi! In which building are classes mostly held? I need to start looking for an apartment, and would like to have a place really close, in order to go home for lunch (or for naps).

I believe they're in the McIntyre building?

Classes for FMD (first 1.5 years) will either be in the McIntyre Medical Building or the Strathcona Anatomy & Dentistry Building

On 4/8/2018 at 3:38 PM, DFMED said:

Hello, 

I interviewed at McGill this year but did not get in :(

I think a major reason as to why I did not get in is because my prerequisites from CEGEP are not great... 

I am aware that I can take the 4 recommended courses and that these can replace my 7 prereqs from CEGEP. I have already taken 2.

Here is my dilemma, I need to take molecular biology (BIOL200) and Cell Biology and Metabolism (BIOL201) still. BIOL 201 is only offered in the winter which means I cannot take it at McGill. BIOL200 I can take in the fall 2018 semester. 

I was wondering if you have any suggestions as to where/how I can take an equivalent BIOL 201 either in the summer or fall semester? I found an online class at a different university but I need to be sure that it will actually be able to count for the BIOL 201 course. Have you heard of anyone in your years doing this? 

Thank you! 

Hi,

The recommended courses can be taken at other universities and distance learning is accepted too. If you have a specific course in mind, you can always call or send an email to the office of admissions to make sure that they consider it equivalent to BIOL 201.

I hope this helps. 

Hi,

I have a question regarding the schedule for the first 1.5 years (checking with the buses, moving in an apartment or no). Is it generally the same hours everyday? I know it's lectures in the morning and labs/small group learning/others in the afternoon - but around what time does a day usually end and is it relatively the same throughout the week?

Thank you!

5 minutes ago, pepito21 said:

Hi,

I have a question regarding the schedule for the first 1.5 years (checking with the buses, moving in an apartment or no). Is it generally the same hours everyday? I know it's lectures in the morning and labs/small group learning/others in the afternoon - but around what time does a day usually end and is it relatively the same throughout the week?

Thank you!

Hi, 

It's usually the same hours every day: lectures in the morning from 8h35 to 11h25, then small groups/labs in the afternoons (or sometimes more lectures) from 12h35 to 15h25. The afternoon might end later sometimes, especially when it's a full day of lectures.

I hope this helps.

Are tests taken on our personal laptops? If so, are there any technical requirements? I hear the exam software that shuts down all the background processes takes a couple extra minutes to do its job on PC, which would be annoying/nerve-wracking during every exam. I can't use Macs to save my life so I was wondering if there were any recommendations for PC laptops?

4 hours ago, Eudaimonia said:

Are tests taken on our personal laptops? If so, are there any technical requirements? I hear the exam software that shuts down all the background processes takes a couple extra minutes to do its job on PC, which would be annoying/nerve-wracking during every exam. I can't use Macs to save my life so I was wondering if there were any recommendations for PC laptops?

Tests are taken on a software called Speedwell. The software works well generally on PCs and Macs, so we wouldn't worry about that. There are always people around during exam time to help with troubleshooting whenever there's an issue, and this happens just as often with PCs as it does with Macs. 

"The Speedwell eSystem Secure system will only work on systems running Windows 7 or later, and OS X 10.8 or later. The following systems will not support the exam system:

- Devices not running full operating systems (may apply to some Surface tablets, etc.)

- Android based operating systems

- iOS devices (iPad, iPhone, etc)"

For more info, please see link on the software we use. http://www.mcgill.ca/ugme/files/ugme/speedwell_manual_v1.0.pdf

Hope this helps!

Do you happen to know of any other cases of deferrals that are not apart of the reasons listed on the McGill website? They say that the reasons for deferrals listed there are not exhaustive. I am wondering if there are cases where deferrals are granted to applicants who apply concurrently to MDCM and are offered one year competitive fellowships to work with, let's say, a PI with an MD to do medical research in the USA. I think these experiences would be highly beneficial to incoming medical students and their medical research careers if they are granted a deferral. 

Thanks

11 minutes ago, Organeer said:

Do you happen to know of any other cases of deferrals that are not apart of the reasons listed on the McGill website? They say that the reasons for deferrals listed there are not exhaustive. I am wondering if there are cases where deferrals are granted to applicants who apply concurrently to MDCM and are offered one year competitive fellowships to work with, let's say, a PI with an MD to do medical research in the USA. I think these experiences would be highly beneficial to incoming medical students and their medical research careers if they are granted a deferral. 

Thanks

It doesn't hurt to ask and have a conversation about your particular circumstances. But, I think deferrals are generally reserved for those "completing" an advanced degree rather than starting something completely brand new. I have seen people take a year off school between 2nd and 3rd year to pursue personal goals (inclusive of research opportunities), but that's once they have done 2+ years of medical school. 

12 minutes ago, Organeer said:

Thanks

From our experience, at this point there are definitely case-by-case situations. The Faculty tends to be open to discussion and will definitely give you the opportunity to justify how the opportunity would contribute to your overall education and career. So don't hesitate to reach out directly to Faculty. As la marcozzo mentioned, we've seen some people take breaks after 1st or 2nd year to pursue other scholarship, research or career opportunities :)

Cheers!

29 minutes ago, sharkeisha said:

Hey guys,

I only have the "Final Transcript" task as remaining on my checklist. I only studied at McGill and I can assume that the admission's office will take care of simply looking at my transcript, right?

Thanks for clarifying!

Hi, 

As mentioned on the Office of Admissions website - Academic Records from Institutions of Higher-Learning (e.g., transcripts), in the section ''Exceptions'', ''Transcripts of studies at McGill University (post-1972) are automatically uploaded into your application's supporting document checklist item using your McGill ID number.''

Hope this helps.

2 minutes ago, Neji3 said:

Hi guys,

I'm confused about the security check by CMQ. Is this done during orientation week or should it be done before then?

Thanks!

Hi, 

During orientation, you will be given the instructions on how to register with the CMQ during orientation week. You will receive from the CMQ a code to set up your account within the first few weeks of school. 

Prior to orientation you are not expected to do anything with respect to the CMQ. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2018 at 9:33 PM, McGillMedAmbassadors said:

The group hasn't been created yet, but it should be within the next couple of days/wks! If you still don't hear of anything in a couple of wks, get in touch and we'll hook you up!

Hi any idea when the group will be created? Or perhaps it already exists but I can't find it