Premed 101 Forums

Tfi Pour Sherbrooke?

If you guys don't mind, I'd like to ask my question in English in order to avoid confusion...:$

Basically I'm doing my undergrad in mechanical engineering and I applied to medicine at université de Montréal and Sherbrooke. I received an email from UdeM telling me to write the TFI, and if I get less then 85% my application will be refused. But I didn't get an email from Sherbrooke about this, is it mandatory for them? I tried searching there website and I saw something about taking extra French courses or something.. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Merci!

In Sherbrooke you don't need to do the TFI beforehand. They will ask you to do their own French test during the first year after you are accepted, so no stress. You only need a passing grade. If you fail it, you will have to take french classes once a week for one year while still doing your medschool classes. So basically, Sherbrooke is the easiest french university to get into for non-francophones.

• 2 years later...

In Sherbrooke you don't need to do the TFI beforehand. They will ask you to do their own French test during the first year after you are accepted, so no stress. You only need a passing grade. If you fail it, you will have to take french classes once a week for one year while still doing your medschool classes. So basically, Sherbrooke is the easiest french university to get into for non-francophones.

is this still true?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No longer true indeed; 860/990 is now the cut-off. Any French as first language person should be fine though, I scored 960 with virtually no prep.

damn so they required 85% as well...

If you don't get over 85%, can you re-take the test? And what if you get admitted but you fail the test?

damn so they required 85% as well...

If you don't get over 85%, can you re-take the test? And what if you get admitted but you fail the test?

You can retake in the future, but I don't know about retaking it in the same cycle :/ and not sure for second part.

Unfortunately, it will be difficult to perform optimally, at one's best in med school, if one's level of French isn't at least at the threshold given.  It might seem that 860/990 is relatively high, so "fail" could be a little misleading - but the reality is that the language proficiency needed to do med school successfully in French is quite high.  Sherbrooke added the criteria this year, more precautionary than anything, I think.  They also give a few alternate language criteria formulations.       

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the answer. What do you mean by this?

Besides the TFI, there are some other options, for people with courses from Ste Anne's for instance (link).  If you can navigate a French webpage easily, read articles or books, easily understand TV or movies, and have some exposure to French grammar, then the TFI shouldn't be too much of an obstacle.  If not, then it might take some time to be able to succeed on the TFI.  

• 4 weeks later...

Wrote this today: it's pretty simple if you have a good mastery of French. Listen carefully during the oral comprehension part, it's fairly fast so don't get distracted. For the reading comprehension, manage your time and you'll be fine!

Good job pour ton TFI!!

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the TFI scores ?

I got into Sherbrooke, and the only test available is July 22, which I signed up for. I have to send in my scores by August 28. I am bilingual and did all of high school and elementary school in French. 

Could someone tell me how difficult it is likely to be for a frenxh speaking student? Also if anyone knows how long it usually takes to get the results by mail, please share :)

6 minutes ago, sophsoph said:

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the TFI scores ?

I got into Sherbrooke, and the only test available is July 22, which I signed up for. I have to send in my scores by August 28. I am bilingual and did all of high school and elementary school in French. 

Could someone tell me how difficult it is likely to be for a frenxh speaking student? Also if anyone knows how long it usually takes to get the results by mail, please share :)

I also did my high school and elementary school in French and did really well. If you're comfortable in French, it really should be no problem at all. I wrote mine May 5th and got the results May 29th (by email).

On 2017-06-18 at 7:13 PM, Haribo7173 said:

I also did my high school and elementary school in French and did really well. If you're comfortable in French, it really should be no problem at all. I wrote mine May 5th and got the results May 29th (by email).

THANKS!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived