Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites 2015 - Discussion

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Part of me wonders if they interviewed so many OOP because historically they have trouble getting 10 acceptances.

http://www.medicine.usask.ca/education/medical/undergrad/prospective-students/admissions/Applicant%20Information/documents/Admission%20statistics%202014%20five-year%20summary.pdf

If I'm interpreting this right, they only had 2 OOP students accept last year, even though they interviewed 50, 31 of which "passed" the interview? Assuming they reserved 10% of the seats for OOP, does that mean that 29 of those 31 just declined their admission offers? Am I understanding this right? This would also explain why they explicitly have a pass/fail at the interview, because if they didn't, you could literally be the worst person interviewing and still receive acceptance as an OOP.

I guess if you had the MCAT score/GPA to interview at UofS as an OOP, you probably had a good chance of acceptance at an in-province school as well. Seems like a rough spot to be in if you're UofS.

Part of me wonders if they interviewed so many OOP because historically they have trouble getting 10 acceptances.

http://www.medicine.usask.ca/education/medical/undergrad/prospective-students/admissions/Applicant%20Information/documents/Admission%20statistics%202014%20five-year%20summary.pdf

If I'm interpreting this right, they only had 2 OOP students accept last year, even though they interviewed 50, 31 of which "passed" the interview? Assuming they reserved 10% of the seats for OOP, does that mean that 29 of those 31 just declined their admission offers? Am I understanding this right? This would also explain why they explicitly have a pass/fail at the interview, because if they didn't, you could literally be the worst person interviewing and still receive acceptance as an OOP.

I guess if you had the MCAT score/GPA to interview at UofS as an OOP, you probably had a good chance of acceptance at an in-province school as well. Seems like a rough spot to be in if you're UofS.

Based on what was said at the info session, that would be my interpretation as well. It's interesting as it means that an OOP need only have a certain MCAT (to get an interview) and perform decently at the MMI (40th percentile or above) to get in.

Yep, that's why they invited so many. Additionally, they really wanted to fill as many OOP spots as possible this year because they also only had ~130 IP students to interview, so it's already about a 50/50 shot for them whether they get in, they probably don't want all the OOP spots going to the pool as well with such a limited selection. Since they only had 130 IP students to interview, they invited way more OOP students because they could easily accomodate them. They usually interview about 250-300 people so they were trying to keep their total interview numbers up to par. It's just that normally they interview at least 200 IP and those are usually the top 60% of applicants. This year... basically everyone got an interview unless your grades were below the 78% cutoff.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, that's why they invited so many. Additionally, they really wanted to fill as many OOP spots as possible this year because they also only had ~130 IP students to interview, so it's already about a 50/50 shot for them whether they get in, they probably don't want all the OOP spots going to the pool as well with such a limited selection. Since they only had 130 IP students to interview, they invited way more OOP students because they could easily accomodate them. They usually interview about 250-300 people so they were trying to keep their total interview numbers up to par. It's just that normally they interview at least 200 IP and those are usually the top 60% of applicants. This year... basically everyone got an interview unless your grades were below the 78% cutoff.

Did Dr. Ziola say there were only 130 IP interviewed this year? He mentioned in the post-interview session that they interviewed 130 OOP but I didn't hear him say how many IP they interviewed this year. 

Did Dr. Ziola say there were only 130 IP interviewed this year? He mentioned in the post-interview session that they interviewed 130 OOP but I didn't hear him say how many IP they interviewed this year. 

Yep.  The number of people in each pool were practically identical this year.  I think he said something like 131 vs 130.

• 3 weeks later...

On a completely different note: did anyone else notice a really high ratio of guys to women at the interview? I interviewed on Saturday afternoon and there was probably 3/4 dudes. Seems to run counter to the overall stats of Canadian med admissions being usually 50/50 and often more women than men in recent years. Did anyone else notice this in other interview slots?

On a completely different note: did anyone else notice a really high ratio of guys to women at the interview? I interviewed on Saturday afternoon and there was probably 3/4 dudes. Seems to run counter to the overall stats of Canadian med admissions being usually 50/50 and often more women than men in recent years. Did anyone else notice this in other interview slots?

Yep. I also noticed this in my slot.