Premed 101 Forums

Saskatchewan Interview Invites/regrets (2015)

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site so I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong thread? This is the most relevant I could navigate to.

I have an interview as an OOP to Sask med school. I was wondering if anyone had insight into the following questions

-References are required post-interview, but what about extracurricular activities list etc? Do they want that at all, at any point?

-For the interview, the website says a knowledge of the healthcare system is required. What does that entail, I have lived in Alberta my whole life so am familiar with the provincial healthcare here, do I need to be doing specific research on the healthcare system/policies in Saskatchewan?

-The Sask med school website mmi example questions are much more broad than other schools. How representative are these, can anyone who has interviewed there comment on this? For example "Why do you want to be a physician? Discuss this question with the interviewer." are questions more like that, and open ended, or scenario based?

Thanks!!

Hi Newbie,

1) Question about application requirements: When I applied to UofS, we did not need any extracurricular activity lists, however those were things we could discuss in the interview. As the entrance requirements may have changed since I applied, I will let someone else who knows more about that topic respond.

2) For knowledge of healthcare, here are a few things I would focus on:

- Advent of medicare & delivery (publically and privately paid for, and private (non for profit) delivery. Tommy Douglas.

- Principles of Canada Health Act: Comprehensiveness, Universality, Portability, Public Administration, & Accessibility (CUPPA)

- Pros and Cons of the Canadian System

- Dimensions of Healthcare Quality: Safety, equity, effectiveness, patient-centeredness, efficiency, timeliness

- Barriers to healthcare, particularly for Aboriginal people in Canada

- SWITCH (specific to SK)

- Current healthcare issues around the world

3)  Questions about MMI: Like most schools, MMI questions at the UofS vary quite a bit each year -- Be prepared to answer broad, open-ended questions as well as scenario based questions that require a more focused answer. Practice with friends or family beforehand answering both open-ended and scenario-based questions. Find a delivery structure that will work for you in most situations, but prepare most for scenarios that you are less comfortable answering. I apologize that I cannot answer more directly to this question, hopefully that helped a little bit.

Best of luck!