Premed 101 Forums

Where To Live For Oop?

This cycle almost done, Manitoba is better choice than USA for me. 

Here're my questions,

1. Is it a safe area near HSC? walking after dark alone?

2. where to live in Winnipeg for M1? by walking, by bus and by car? what's the living costs about?

3. which is easier for M1? by walking, by bus or by car in Winnipeg for OOP student?

Any info, opinion and input are welcome. Thanks.

1. There are apartments at HSC where a lot of doctors and residents live. They're maybe a five minute walk from the school. I wouldn't advocate walking around there at night alone. I'm around there a lot during the day and I've never had an issue.

2. The exchange/osbourne is a really vibrant area with lots of things to do. You can get a decent apartment alone for <$1000/month. Roommates would obviously make this a lot cheaper.

3. A lot of med students drive, however I find Brodie to be really accessible by bus from where I live (central area). Depends on how much time you want to spend commuting.

The U of M medicine campus at the HSC is in, to be brutally honest, a very seedy area. There is a lot of crime and would never, ever recommend walking around that area at night. However, because it is a very highly populated area, there aren't usually too many problems during the day. So I would not feel uncomfortable going to school there during the day, but would not like to live in that area. As wpggal said, the Osborne/Exchange areas are lively, but still a tad on the danger side. However, many people don't find it that bad and feel the slight risk is worth the active night life and convienent location. The rent there can be cheaper than other areas of town too. The Corydon area can be really good. Higher on the safety scale but still lively and interesting. I'm a south end person myself, but it is a bit further than most people would like, and rent is higher. Not really any activity or night life either. Still only about 20 minutes on the bus though.

Parking around there can also be both expensive and difficult to come by. Busses run very frequently to the HSC and come from all over the city. If I ever end up getting into med school, I will probably bus. It's probably the most convienent and students get a good discount on bus passes. Also, there are no worries if there are a few beers happening after class :D But do keep in mind that it gets God damn cold in Winnipeg during the winter. Waiting for the bus at -40 is not everyone's cup of tea. Based on that alone, some people feel that paying and searching for parking is worth it.

So, if I were in your shoes, I think that living a short bus ride away (Eg. Corydon/Osborne) would be the best thing. It's pretty cost effective, and if you are at school late a cab (to avoid waiting for the bus after dark) probably wouldn't cost too much. There are lots of options, you just need to make a list of priorities. Feel free to PM me if you like, I've been in this city for a long time and have lived all over it.

The U of M medicine campus at the HSC is in, to be brutally honest, a very seedy area. There is a lot of crime and would never, ever recommend walking around that area at night. 

It's not that bad.  I've only been attacked once in the past couple years.  :D

Anything can happen anywhere.  Wait until you get an acceptance and ask again in the eventual FB group.  There will be a ton of people to help you out.  Even people graduating that want to sublet their places.

Archived