Premed 101 Forums

May 12 Support Thread

So, we're under three weeks until decision day.

What are you doing between now and then? Any special plans for the day or plans of what you'll do if you receive an acceptance?

What distractions are you employing to help pass the time?

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be busy with school & exams until just a few days before May 12 then I'm immediately heading overseas for travel and will be there when decisions are released. Soooo I'm keeping myself pretty occupied and it's nice not thinking about it constantly!

I'm gonna enjoy my travels regardless of the decision and continue to travel the rest of summer. Also planning to attend lots of awesome music festivals. I already know I'll be starting somewhere new this fall regardless of the decision so I'm taking it easy  ^_^

Let's see... trying to focus on A&P when I get a spare hour here and there, playing minecraft & Zelda (N64) with my 2.5-year-old, baking, chillin' with the baby, garden planning, community garden planning, helping the yoga studio I volunteer at with their website emergencies, training someone to replace me at work, finding new tenants... I feel like that should all be distracting enough, but it's all on my own schedule so barely an hour goes by when I don't think about the possible outcomes.

On May 12th I have parent & peanut yoga in the morning, so I probably won't go unless I get an acceptance by 9am. If I get rejected or haven't heard by then I'll be sitting at home, probably playing Zelda or Minecraft with the kids to keep me occupied (though we'll probably have beat Zelda by then, or it'll get too dark & scary for her to handle). Then I suspect I'll get my parents to buy us dinner - takeout if rejected/waitlisted and a restaurant if accepted!

How about you, Birdy?

I'll be busy with school & exams until just a few days before May 12 then I'm immediately heading overseas for travel and will be there when decisions are released. Soooo I'm keeping myself pretty occupied and it's nice not thinking about it constantly!

I'm gonna enjoy my travels regardless of the decision and continue to travel the rest of summer. Also planning to attend lots of awesome music festivals. I already know I'll be starting somewhere new this fall regardless of the decision so I'm taking it easy  ^_^

Wow you are lucky (in my opinion) to have quite a bit on your plate till May 12. I don't have exams and although I'm keeping myself somewhat occupied, I always have tons of time to think about it.

As for me, I plan to gym it and stalk Premed101 (sad, I know) till the day of. It seems this year there is significantly less traffic on this site unfortunately. Also going to try to keep a bit busy on May 12th - already have a few things planned for the morning of because I hear some schools don't necessarily release decisions by 12pm.

Got 1 more week of finals to finish... whilst replaying MMIs over and over in my head like some sort of PTSD. Once exams are done, probably going to start actually hanging out with friends and relaxing for about 3 days, before starting a research position as part of my Co-op program.

If everything goes well, research work would finish by the end of summer and I'll move on into med. If not, my PI has been awesome enough to offer me an 8 month term despite knowing I could leave halfway through so I figure I'll stay for the full 8 months, get enough research done to publish something, and move on to another work term.

Let's see... trying to focus on A&P when I get a spare hour here and there, playing minecraft & Zelda (N64) with my 2.5-year-old, baking, chillin' with the baby, garden planning, community garden planning, helping the yoga studio I volunteer at with their website emergencies, training someone to replace me at work, finding new tenants... I feel like that should all be distracting enough, but it's all on my own schedule so barely an hour goes by when I don't think about the possible outcomes.

On May 12th I have parent & peanut yoga in the morning, so I probably won't go unless I get an acceptance by 9am. If I get rejected or haven't heard by then I'll be sitting at home, probably playing Zelda or Minecraft with the kids to keep me occupied (though we'll probably have beat Zelda by then, or it'll get too dark & scary for her to handle). Then I suspect I'll get my parents to buy us dinner - takeout if rejected/waitlisted and a restaurant if accepted!

How about you, Birdy?

We - kids, husband, and I - all like Zelda and Minecraft too. I love that we can all play games together as a family. Although when my son deleted my file on Twilight Princess I could have screamed.

I'm streamlining stuff at work to prepare for a replacement should my boss need one. I have created a lot of new systems and metrics and am the only person who knows how to do some things so I need to ensure the info is passed on. I'm also garden planning and trying to get the house spruced up after the mess it devolved into during exams. Also starting the spring cleanup/purge in preparation for the eventual move (if not this year, it will still happen eventually.)

Day of, I'm not going to work until I've heard. If the news is good, there will be happy dancing and a barbecue with friends. If the news is bad, there will be baking and a long walk on the beach to get the moping out of the way.

I agree with mononoke - the predmed moms on here insipre me too :) Love your resilience and fearlessness in starting a new career

As for me, I'm finishing up my Master's degree, meeting up with friends, watching old tv shows, and trying not to stray down the painful path of post-interview analysis.

If I get in, I'll dance and cry... If I don't, I'll mope and cry - then use that Sinatra song as inspiration to get back in the game again.

I was on a cruise when I got my pre interview rejection email. It was our travel home day, and I wasn't in the best mood to begin with, because the boyfriend and I were both violently ill the entire trip, and would have been better off at home!

On the flight home, I watched the Shawshank Redemption. I found this to be pretty comforting, highly recommend for any time you get bad news.

I'm finishing up a research job at a hospital next Friday, and then moving into a very chill lab job for the summer along with TAing a few courses. Hopefully it'll keep me busy so that there isn't much to think about. Also going to be continuing to train for my powerlifting meet in June, as well as game like crazy - I've bought way too many 3DS games in the past 2 weeks that I have not yet finished.

Haha. I'm intrigued by all the gamers in this thread! If anyone plays halo MCC I'll need a gaming buddy during weekdays while the rest of the world moves by while I wait for May 12th. I'm going to watch an absolute ton of Netflix and pick as many shifts up at the restaurant to try keep my mind busy. I know 3 weeks are going to fly by though :). Most of all, I'm going to try stay positive. We'll see how that goes

I'm more of an RPG / strategy person myself. Huge Zelda and Mass Effect fan. If you're into darker tv shows, you should check it Daredevil. It's actually really, really good.

Haha. I'm intrigued by all the gamers in this thread! If anyone plays halo 5 I'll need a gaming buddy during weekdays while the rest of the world moves by while I wait for May 12th. I'm going to watch an absolute ton of Netflix and pick as many shifts up at the restaurant to try keep my mind busy. I know 3 weeks are going to fly by though :). Most of all, I'm going to try stay positive. We'll see how that goes

I'll be working full time in a lab so that will keep me pretty occupied I guess! If I get in, then i'll be hoping for a trip to europe - although probably won't actually happen haha. And as for May 12th, I have nightmares about it like all the time hahaha, I know Ottawa releases their emails by 9 am so it will be a restless night thats for sure! 

Mac has sent out emails as early as 8:30 (EST. I'm an hour ahead) and they seem to send out acceptances first then waitlists a couple hours later then rejections in the afternoon. So my anxiety level will crank up by the minute that day, I'm sure.

Also, working full time just isn't a distraction to me. I get home after work, help the kids with homework and my husband with supper. Do the usual evening routine, get stuff done. And then what?! I have like four hours during which I have nothing to do and I can't clean much since the kids are in bed.

So I've started a research proposal for next year.

Daredevil is awesome! I'm maybe halfway through and will probably finish it by the weekend considering I watched 4 in a row yesterday. Haha.
So we're basically just waiting on an email in our inbox during the day like we did for the interview email? And I'm assuming the rest is done through the SSO website from there?

Yep I've been binging and now I'm on episode 11.... I'll be sad when I run out of them.

And yes, we're waiting for emails. I think I might just gym and put my phone in airplane mode until 10 AM and check for emails all at once. What do other people plan on doing if they're waiting for more than 1 school?

Daredevil is awesome! I'm maybe halfway through and will probably finish it by the weekend considering I watched 4 in a row yesterday. Haha.
So we're basically just waiting on an email in our inbox during the day like we did for the interview email? And I'm assuming the rest is done through the SSO website from there?

Yep I've been binging and now I'm on episode 11.... I'll be sad when I run out of them.

And yes, we're waiting for emails. I think I might just gym and put my phone in airplane mode until 10 AM and check for emails all at once. What do other people plan on doing if they're waiting for more than 1 school?

Binge watched this show in under a week! So good :) They renewed it for a second season.

Keeping fantastically busy with lab work but also volunteering too! Travelling up North from Apr 26 - May 3rd for some Aboriginal Science outreach. Should be lots of good geeky fun! 8)

When it starts to feel more like Spring again will break out the golf clubs for a round or two leading up to May 12th too! Nothing like chasing a little white ball around a green space to keep your mind at ease! :)

If you ever find yourself with some time to kill, reading can really help! 'The Map of TIme' by Felix J. Palma was a fantastic read. Just finished it! 

P.s. Now that we're on a comic book trek  ... The Flash, Gotham and Arrow are both awesome shows to watch up on if you haven't checked them out yet. The Flash does particularly fantastic fandom nods! Can't wait for the Professor Thawne v. Barry Allen season finale (or the hope is there anyhow!) 

P.s. Now that we're on a comic book trek  ... The Flash, Gotham and Arrow are both awesome shows to watch up on if you haven't checked them out yet. The Flash does particularly fantastic fandom nods! Can't wait for the Professor Thawne v. Barry Allen season finale (or the hope is there anyhow!) 

Started watching Arrow to treat my Daredevil withdrawal. I watched the first episode of Flash but it seemed tacky and horrible, does it get better over the season?

I am heading off to backpack Central America with my best friend on Wednesday! Gotta say I'm very thankful to be doing this at this stressful time, although slightly nervous about internet connection down there on May 12. 

PS Birdy, just from a few of your posts, I think we were sitting together Pre-MMI at Mac. I could be wrong but the description of your kids' ages sounds very familiar! Premed is such a small world.

Archived