Premed 101 Forums

I emailed the lady from Queens to ask about upgrading my GPA next year, I knew I was on the low end with a 3.64 even though last years cutoff was only 3.55. But she told me the cutoff this year was 3.65 because they had a 22% increase in number of applications! Kick in the nuts for me, but what can you do. 

Not sure if that helps anyone else but just passing it on! 

Is that sGPA or cGPA? 

Are you enrolled into OT? The scholarship is only for PT apparently.

Hi there, yes I am in OT, although not the same, there were similar scholarship emails sent out to particular OT applicants last year and not others (myself included).  But in all honesty I can't say in absolute certainty. 

perhaps. my sgpa is 3.77 and i didn't get in last year even though i was well above the cut off. when i called in for feedback the lady i spoke to basically told me that my marks were great, references were great, and gave me lots of info on how i should change my personal statement/get more experience (ie that wasn't so great). it seems to have helped since i got the email regarding the scholarship :D

with that gpa you'll more than likely get in at another school, but if not then i highly recommend calling queens, i found them very helpful.

evidently you are a OT applicant...  i should've specified from the beginning that this was for PT... OT and PT don't really seem to follow the same routines in terms of requirements and other things

• 2 weeks later...

Received an email from Queen's to apply for the Goldman Sachs scholarship.  It seems like it's been sent to people with parents who are likely to be immigrants or something but my background is just Canadian..  did anyone else receive this email? seems like only a couple out of many i know received this too

I read this on the Queens site - " If a suitable recipient cannot be found under this criterion, preference will be given to a student from a remote or rural area of Canada." Do you live in or are you form a remote or rural area of Canada? Since second preference is for students who do live in remote or rural areas.

I read this on the Queens site - " If a suitable recipient cannot be found under this criterion, preference will be given to a student from a remote or rural area of Canada." Do you live in or are you form a remote or rural area of Canada? Since second preference is for students who do live in remote or rural areas.

Not really. I live on Yonge and College.

• 1 year later...

perhaps. my sgpa is 3.77 and i didn't get in last year even though i was well above the cut off. when i called in for feedback the lady i spoke to basically told me that my marks were great, references were great, and gave me lots of info on how i should change my personal statement/get more experience (ie that wasn't so great). it seems to have helped since i got the email regarding the scholarship :D

with that gpa you'll more than likely get in at another school, but if not then i highly recommend calling queens, i found them very helpful.

What did you do to improve your chances, in your opinion?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I wanted to update the queens email threads for prospective students in the 2019 cycle (the next time they offer the entrance scholarship).

I think the way it worked out is as we suspected... receiving the email means you will be offered acceptance. However, not receiving the email does not mean that you are definitely rejected.

If anyone else can confirm this? Ie. people who did not receive the email but were offered acceptance (not waitlisted) and especially I'd be curious if anyone in the 2017 cycle did receive the email but was not immediately accepted (waitlisted or rejected).

Im going to post this same thing on the two queens email threads. Sorry for the repost!

• 1 year later...
On 5/11/2019 at 11:08 AM, PTFan said:

Do they tell you that you got the scholarship alongwith sending your acceptance letter? Or is that something they do only AFTER you accept admission?

Ya thinking the same thing bec assuming i get into queens and another school, receiving the scholarship will factor in big time if i decide to go with queens or not