Premed 101 Forums

Rejected - Advice?

Hi all,

In a nutshell, I'm about to prattle off a surely oft-heard sob story: I applied to Canadian med schools with what I think was quite a competitive application, and wasn't invited to interview anywhere. I don't want to beat around the bush, but I'm absolutely devastated, and while I know I can apply the next year, my mind is absolutely reeling trying to figure out what I should do in the intervening year. I know the situation could be a lot worse, as some people pursue second undergrads and other things and still end up empty handed, but another's misfortune doesn't make me feel better, and doesn't necessarily help me deal with my own.

I applied to the following schools U of T, Manitoba, Dalhousie, McMaster, Ottawa, and Queens. I just graduated from the University of Toronto (so 4th year IPR when I applied) with a computer science and neuroscience double major. I worked my ass off for my 3.80 OMSAS GPA, which, after skimming the forum, I guess isn't the most impressive but fml I really killed myself over it. MCAT was V10 P11 BS13.

I had very strong research experiences - NSERC, OGI, IMS - working in 3 different labs since grade 10 for a minimum of 1 year each. I presented oral and poster presentations at international conferences, had two published abstracts and a review paper, all of which were first author. One of these projects was an original research project.

In the way of volunteering, I teach piano and voice once a week therapeutically at a senior's home. I also organize caroling and a concert, including a performance in the inpatient psych wards, at one of the city's hospitals.

In terms of extracurriculars, I was heavily involved in a course union for most of undergrad and served as president this year, organizing several huge events such as an undergraduate conference and an inter-university competition. I also sang in two different choirs over a period of two years.

What I think is most important is that I didn't do these things for resume padding, but because I was passionate and deeply engaged with these pursuits. I tried to develop the best quality of character I could, for its own sake... I did a lot of soul-searching in deciding whether medicine would be right for me and sacrificed a lot to try and make it happen.

I should be ecstatic, having just graduated, but I just feel downright horrible... I feel like nothing I could possibly do in this year would put me to as good a 'use' as med would. A year 'off' can be a good thing but I just feel sick to my stomach because I feel as though the rug has been pulled out from under me. I have applied for a couple jobs but I still can't shake this awful feeling.

Surely, I'm not the only person who's faced this situation so I'm grateful to hear how others have dealt with both the crippling pain of rejection and the indeterminacy of an intervening year. Some of the questions on my mind include: should I apply to American schools next time, should I apply to Carribean or UK schools, should I do grad school right away, should I work, should I take some more courses...

A little more about me... I am interested in research but don't want to pursue a graduate degree until after medicine, because I want to be able to bring that clinical expertise to the table. It's also a huge commitment that I don't just want to jump into just because my hand is forced. I pursued a computer science degree for many reasons, and one was precisely for the contingency of opening up options for me in case med didn't pan out, but with some bitterness I realize I'm not interested in most of the opportunities that are opened up to me (I'm most interested in the theoretical intersection of neuroscience and computer science).

Whatever I do this year, I want it to be some kind of logical extension of my academic/professional/personal growth - so in general I don't want to explicitly 'pad' and think the very concept is degrading... especially since I feel like I have had a very well-rounded experience.

Again, grateful for people's thoughts. And please be kind, it's easy to forget that behind the wall of text there's an actual person with feelings.

Sorry about not getting in! But seriously, it is not a big deal and you are far from alone...you weren't even done your UG degree, your GPA is on the low side of matriculants. The rest of your app sounds pretty good, MCAT is okay, though low verbal for places like Mac and definitely not high enough for OOP UMan), so I would wager to guess it is mostly your GPA that got you rejected. 

Remember that the average matriculant had to apply >2 times, and some people try for many years. I would start working in a field you like, or perhaps doing an MSc (ONLY if you are actually interested in doing research), etc while keeping up with some of your ECs and volunteering. Don't let one rejection get you down! Just live your life and aim to be a better applicant next time!

The one thing i would add and i hope it helps you in time (similar boat as you) is that you need to realize that you gave it your best shot. That's all that we can really do cause results are out of our hand. Theres a certain myopic point of view one tends to have when all they think about is getting into medicine and rightfully so-it is extremely competitive. But, that also means we tend to overlook the good we are doing ans the good things happening in pur life. Try and not take it as a personal failure and lose your confidence. Take sometime and re-evaluate objectively what you can improve on. Think of alternatives that can bring you the same happiness that medicine would. I mean dig deep and think of the reasons why you wanna be a physician and see if anything else will bring that in your life. When i talked to my mentor after getting rejected last year, he said somethinng along the lines of "whatever profession/career you end up in is whats best for you and not what you think is best for you-you can make the best of whatever situation you are in as lonn as you are puttig in your best effort". Your gpa and stats have put you in a position that gives you many more options and opportunities that you should consider. So it should bring you comfort knwoing that all is not lost and maybe help ypu feel a bit more optimistic. Use that optimism and apply again next year with a stronger app and see if luck favors you. If it doesn't, go through thr same process again pr do somethig different. But just know, that it is not a personal failure and that all is definetely not lost.

Honestly, you sound like a well-rounded, intelligent person who would be an asset to any med school. No matter what you do with this year, you'll only have a stronger application in September. A lot of schools (U ot T, Ottawa, UBC, Dal) have some kind of GPA wieighting thing that only gets better the more years of schooling you have. The only thing I can think of that might have kept you from an interview if your GPA, and that alone might be increased enough after you apply the weightings that you're eligible for now.

Again, so sorry this didn't work out for you this year. But people have had to overcome far lower GPA's, MCAT, and less experience then you, and I'm sure you'll get there soon :)

My last cycle story again, tips for you.

1. Start to apply USMD at least 15+ Canadian friendly MD schools - Columbia, Dartmouth, Emory, Case Western, NYMC, Albert Einstein, Jefferson, Oakland, Wayne State, SUNY-upstate, Virginia, VCU, Kentucky, Penn State, etc. All within 12 hours driving from Ontario.

2. For Canadian, private schools are cheaper than state universities in general and you can't apply financial aid from state universities.

3. Most private schools will give you some financial aid, especially top tier schools - here are some special programs,

- Case Western 5 years college track program - FREE tuition

- Columbia upstate MD program at Bassett - tuition is 30k, and you can apply financial aid depending your parents income.

4. MD/PhD - all come with financial aid from US fed

5. Apply ALL Canadian MD schools, you never know what's going to happen. 2013-2014 Saskatchewan interviewed 65 OOP with MCAT 35+ for 10 seats but only 2 enrolled, this cycle they interviewed 130 OOP with MCAT 34+, if you applied, you have good chance get in.

6. Just my opinion, your chance in USA is much better in Canada, why?

- Toronto is an AAU universities, well respected in USA, not so much in Canada MD admission

- Your dual major in computer science and neuroscience will be highly appreciated in USA but not so much in Canada

- Your 3.8 GPA for schools no need MCAT like McGill or Ottawa is 99% out at first step pre-screen by admission staffs

, but well respected in USA, even top tier ivy schools will look into your application for full review.

7. While applying 2015-2016 cycle, keep yourself busy, a job or part time job, volunteering, join Toastmasters for speech and social, you almost there, just need apply broadly both in USA and Canada.

Archived