Premed 101 Forums

How To Be Competitive To Match To Ophthalmology

Ophtho is getting less competitive, this years applicant to place ratio was only 1.34

I would generally disagree with that statement. This was a pretty typical year compared to the last couple matches, right in the middle of the pack.

Ophtho was a lot more competitive 15 years ago or so, but the match rate in most specialties has changed a fair bit since then.

I'm not sure if that ratio is lower than usual, but I know that out of the surgical specialties, ophtho ended up with the highest percentage of unmatched people this year, even more than plastics (I don't have the source handy, but I remember that it was a very trustworthy one... The Match Book, maybe?). Plus, that ratio only includes applicants who interviewed (as far as I know), and not those who applied and were not offered an interview.

In the past few years that's pretty much been the case. Ophtho gunners unfortunately don't have a lot of good back-up options to match into that don't tank their competitiveness for Ophtho itself and doing a gap year just to match to Ophtho isn't unheard of. However, the most recent match (2016), which doesn't year appear in the Match Book, bucked that trend a bit. A good number of people who were unsuccessful at matching to Ophtho in 2016 got into something else. Those shooting for Plastics, unfortunately, were the ones most likely to go completely unmatched in the first round this year.

In the past few years that's pretty much been the case. Ophtho gunners unfortunately don't have a lot of good back-up options to match into that don't tank their competitiveness for Ophtho itself and doing a gap year just to match to Ophtho isn't unheard of. However, the most recent match (2016), which doesn't year appear in the Match Book, bucked that trend a bit. A good number of people who were unsuccessful at matching to Ophtho in 2016 got into something else. Those shooting for Plastics, unfortunately, were the ones most likely to go completely unmatched in the first round this year.

Ah, my bad. I must've read the Match Book from the previous cycle. :)

Archived