Premed 101 Forums

More Questions About Research

I just finished up first year, and my plan was to do research this summer but things sort of fell through and I'm not sure if it's going to work out anymore. While I really love my past experiences with research, I think it's too late to find a project for this summer and I was planning on travelling for at least a month next summer. If anyone could answer my questions and quell my anxiety I'd greatly appreciate it :)

1) I perused the forum and from what I gather research is necessary for "competitive" specialties. What classifies as competitive? I am mostly interested in internal, family, and psych right now. 

2) I have past research experience (2 years in basic science, 1 year in chart review for a geriatric psychiatrist, 1 year collaborating on a quality improvement project); however I only played a major role in the basic science project and I only have one publication from it. Would I benefit from more clinical research experience?

3) Does it matter what type of research I am involved with? Does involvement on a quality improvement project "count" as research?

4) Are there times other then the first two summers to get involved in research?

Thanks!

I just finished up first year, and my plan was to do research this summer but things sort of fell through and I'm not sure if it's going to work out anymore. While I really love my past experiences with research, I think it's too late to find a project for this summer and I was planning on travelling for at least a month next summer. If anyone could answer my questions and quell my anxiety I'd greatly appreciate it :)

1) I perused the forum and from what I gather research is necessary for "competitive" specialties. What classifies as competitive? I am mostly interested in internal, family, and psych right now. 

2) I have past research experience (2 years in basic science, 1 year in chart review for a geriatric psychiatrist, 1 year collaborating on a quality improvement project); however I only played a major role in the basic science project and I only have one publication from it. Would I benefit from more clinical research experience?

3) Does it matter what type of research I am involved with? Does involvement on a quality improvement project "count" as research?

4) Are there times other then the first two summers to get involved in research?

Thanks!

DISCLAIMER: haven't started med yet!

1. Competitive specialities are generally ones with fewer seats or that follow the ROADS acronym (rads, ophtho, anest, derm, surg). From my understanding, internal, family and psych aren't competitive as compared to others but depends on if you plan to do GIM or specialize further after internal. For example, if you go for cardio or something after IM, then you may need some related experiences to that. So I'd say your plans for residencies aren't competitive but it may help if you plan to subspecialize from IM or if you want to go to certain schools that really value research (e.g. UofT)

2. You'll benefit from more clinical experience if you want to. You have some research experience and a publication. That's more than a lot of med students. If you want to incorporate research in your future and are interested in the topics, then you'll benefit immensely.

3. I want to say it doesn't matter but I'm sure they want more research related to the field. For plans to do cardiology, I'm sure they'd prefer clinical research or something in the discipline than if you went to a botany lab haha. But anything relevant should be fine. I know lots who do public health research and get into very clinical residencies. 

4. I think that if you can manage, you could conduct research during the year. Obviously your commitment wouldn't be as much as a full-time four-month position, but some supervisors might be fine with you working on the project during school. 

I'd recommend you wait for more experienced people reply to you on this but this is what I can share from my understanding. 

Hey Epona,

If you plan to pursue internal, family and psychiatry; those three specialties are not competitive; unless you are aiming for UofT (for example). Nevertheless, does research help to show your interest and you could build good connections with doctors easily :)

Thanks!

DISCLAIMER: haven't started med yet!

1. Competitive specialities are generally ones with fewer seats or that follow the ROADS acronym (rads, ophtho, anest, derm, surg). From my understanding, internal, family and psych aren't competitive as compared to others but depends on if you plan to do GIM or specialize further after internal. For example, if you go for cardio or something after IM, then you may need some related experiences to that. So I'd say your plans for residencies aren't competitive but it may help if you plan to subspecialize from IM or if you want to go to certain schools that really value research (e.g. UofT)

2. You'll benefit from more clinical experience if you want to. You have some research experience and a publication. That's more than a lot of med students. If you want to incorporate research in your future and are interested in the topics, then you'll benefit immensely.

3. I want to say it doesn't matter but I'm sure they want more research related to the field. For plans to do cardiology, I'm sure they'd prefer clinical research or something in the discipline than if you went to a botany lab haha. But anything relevant should be fine. I know lots who do public health research and get into very clinical residencies. 

4. I think that if you can manage, you could conduct research during the year. Obviously your commitment wouldn't be as much as a full-time four-month position, but some supervisors might be fine with you working on the project during school. 

I'd recommend you wait for more experienced people reply to you on this but this is what I can share from my understanding. 

Thanks for the response!

Hey Epona,

If you plan to pursue internal, family and psychiatry; those three specialties are not competitive; unless you are aiming for UofT (for example). Nevertheless, does research help to show your interest and you could build good connections with doctors easily :)

I'm not interested in Toronto at all. I do really want to get involved with research, but I don't know how I'll be able to manage it next summer and take advantage of the time off to travel. 

Probably you could take one summer off, and one summer for research?

I don't suggest you to continue research during clerkship, since you will be at the hospital more than 40 hours per week; it is not good for your mental health :o

I'm not interested in Toronto at all. I do really want to get involved with research, but I don't know how I'll be able to manage it next summer and take advantage of the time off to travel. 

Probably you could take one summer off, and one summer for research?

I don't suggest you to continue research during clerkship, since you will be at the hospital more than 40 hours per week; it is not good for your mental health :o

Well that was the plan, but the research project seems to have fallen through this year and I have other stuff going on this summer that I have to be physically present for so travelling isn't an option. I guess I should have planned for the summer a bit further in advance!

Thanks for the advice though.

You could always travel next summer, no worries. It is always great to have research experience for CaRMS.

If you are still aiming for family medicine, psy or internal medicine, they are fairly easier to get into if you perform well during clerkship, and have no red flags during pre-clerkship. I hope that you are going to enjoy your research experience this summer!

Well that was the plan, but the research project seems to have fallen through this year and I have other stuff going on this summer that I have to be physically present for so travelling isn't an option. I guess I should have planned for the summer a bit further in advance!

Thanks for the advice though.

Might be unrelated, but still concerns research. I am a CEGEP student who has 0 experience in research. How do you "do" research? I know you have to contact some professors and such. But what do you do then? I feel like my knowledge as a student, even after finishing first school med school, is not strong enough to actually participate actively in papers and publications. How do you get your name on a publication?

I know some people from my year who attend all these "science fairs" and present neat super complicated projects on genetics, but they cannot even explain how DNA replicates with the lagging/leading strand. Is this normal? Does the researcher who supervises these kids do all the work and then attribute all credit to them?

I know I sound like a "hater," but it just amazes me how strong the contradiction between what these students learn in class and what they do research on is.

Quite the opposite actually lol, the supervisor does very little "work" on the actual project and mostly serves as an adviser to the researcher (can also provide the funding/infrastructure to do the research). Then when the researcher publishes/presents the work, the supervisor will get credit as well (for advising, etc.).

Research projects can (should?) be very specific so the author may know a lot about that particular topic but not necessarily much else. In the example you mentioned, maybe the project was on epigenetics, or the function of a specific gene, and not so much DNA replication. That being said, DNA replication is taught in highschool, so maybe s/he just has a bad foundation/forgot.

Does the researcher who supervises these kids do all the work and then attribute all credit to them?

In the case of the person I am talking about, she is in what would be considered high school in other province. It was the first time introducing the subject of gene replication. Her project also did have a significant portion on gene replication.

However, I am not bashing every single person out there. I know there are quite some talented and passionate people.

If anyone else has advice on research, please help! Especially Québec research.

Archived