Premed 101 Forums

Usmle Score Carms

I want to keep doors open with USMLE. First of all, my priority would be to match in a competitive specialty in Quebec. Then, I would use US as a backup. Also, I want to write USMLE not only for residencies but also for fellowships.

But, since the USMLE step 1 is a one-shot thing, do Quebec schools (or other Canadian schools) see that score? I might do less than average. After all, I'm already too busy with my own classes.

Does CaRMS oblige you to input all USMLE scores?

Also, for residencies, do you need step 2 CK and CS?

I think the home schools might see your score, or at least know your pass/fail status but this means nothing. They just know for their stats which is why McGill was always encouraging us to only write the exam if we were planning to actually prepare for it. 

CaRMS doesn't oblige you to put them in. You can if you like but most canadian programs don't even know what the scores mean. A good step 1 score is very important to get into a competitive specialty in the US. 

You should also do a bit of digging into applying both in QC and in the US. The match day is not the same, however which one comes first can sometimes alternate. That means that if the US match happens first and you match, then you will automatically be withdrawn from CaRMS. The same is true for when the Canadian match happens first. I think the Canadian match happens first more frequently but i've been told that the US has released match results beforehand. 

Another thing to take into consideration is the interview timeline in the US. They don't have a nice, well-organized, tour like what we have in Canada. i think interviews start in the fall and go all the way until February or something similar. You'll be running around the US, needing to take off a ton of time from your clerkship rotations and you need to make sure you don't miss more than 25% of any given rotation. 

I'm pretty sure you do need step 2 CK/CS - although it might be program specific. Everyone who applied to the US form my class wrote those exams. 

I wouldn't say "alternates".  Both matches tell you the date in advance, and so it shouldn't be a surprise unless there is some kind of real blooper on the part of CaRMS or NRMP.  The Canadian match almost always goes first from what I know.  I think there was like one year when it didn't.

The CaRMS website currently says:

"In order to facilitate the process for applicants who wish to participate fully in both the US and Canadian matches, CaRMS honours the contract for the US NRMP Match.
You may register for both matches and apply to Canadian and US programs, with the understanding that the CaRMS match is run before the NRMP match. You can submit a rank order list to both the NRMP and CaRMS."

http://www.carms.ca/en/residency/eras/

Archived