Premed 101 Forums

Osap Bank Balance

I've been saving for the past 4 years and just have enough to pay for first year's tuition. By the time I actually start med, I'll have $0 in my bank, save for my LOC (and still have to pay for housing). But as OSAP looks at income/bank balance for the previous 16 weeks, I was wondering if they would take into account the money I just spent on school fees and the reduction of my bank balance when calculating the funds they will grant.

Facing a similar situation. I had a decent chunk of change in my bank up until a few weeks ago when I had to pay some debts. But OSAP thinks I still have it. Turns out there's nothing you can do NOW. The OSAP person at my school suggested that I wait until I get my sessment, and then submit an appeal. I guess you can explain your situation in the appeal. Does anyone else have experience with this?

• 1 year later...
19 minutes ago, plastics91 said:

Bumping on old thread with a few questions:

1) Is there an exact date at which the pre-study date begins? Or do we manually calculate from day each respective med schools begin?

2) Does MSc stipend count as income if received within this pre-study period?

Your “pre-study period” is one of the following (whichever is fewer weeks):

• The 16 weeks immediately before the start of your current study period; or
• The number of weeks from the end of your last period of full-time high school or postsecondary studies and the start of your current study period. 

Yes. This is taxable in the eyes of the CRA - hence included in income that you report.

11 minutes ago, la marzocco said:

Your “pre-study period” is one of the following (whichever is fewer weeks):

• The 16 weeks immediately before the start of your current study period; or
• The number of weeks from the end of your last period of full-time high school or postsecondary studies and the start of your current study period. 

Yes. This is taxable in the eyes of the CRA - hence included in income that you report.

Thanks for replying!

What if I technically don't have a pre-study period as I'm finishing my grad studies by June as per deadlines of many med schools but not actually convocating until Nov? 

3 hours ago, plastics91 said:

Thanks for replying!

What if I technically don't have a pre-study period as I'm finishing my grad studies by June as per deadlines of many med schools but not actually convocating until Nov? 

I think the convocation date (i.e., Nov 2018) is just a red herring. What matters is when you're done your graduate studies, which in this case, is June 2018. I would just do a simple calc: the lesser of 16 weeks or the time between June 2018 and the start of medical school. I think most medical schools have their rosters up for 2018-2019 academic year already so you should be able to see when it starts. Use this handy calculator to find the # of weeks between two dates if you're lazy like me: https://www.timeanddate.com/date/timeduration.html

12 hours ago, la marzocco said:

I think the convocation date (i.e., Nov 2018) is just a red herring. What matters is when you're done your graduate studies, which in this case, is June 2018. I would just do a simple calc: the lesser of 16 weeks or the time between June 2018 and the start of medical school. I think most medical schools have their rosters up for 2018-2019 academic year already so you should be able to see when it starts. Use this handy calculator to find the # of weeks between two dates if you're lazy like me: https://www.timeanddate.com/date/timeduration.html

Thanks for replying la marzocco!

Is this the form we are to submit to the financial aid services?: https://osap.gov.on.ca/prodconsumption/groups/forms/documents/forms/prdr018322.pdf

It seems the banking information we are to put in is for the start of the study period not for pre-study period, which I'm not sure how applicants would have if they have to apply for osap before the study period starts..

Archived