Premed 101 Forums

Pt/ot Accepted/ Rejected 2016

Hi all, 

in the previous years, this template has been used in order to keep up with those in the same boat as u (applying for physio/OT) as well as to see how competitive ones application is. Please feel free to share which schools you applied to, ur cGPA and sGPA and which schools accept, reject or wait-list you.. Good luck to all new applicants and repeat applicants like me :)

Hope we get in. 

Applied:
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
cumGPA:

subGPA:
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Applied:UBC, Alberta, Queens, U of T

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected: UBC, Alberta

cumGPA:ORPAS 3.15

subGPA: ORPAS 3.5

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: 2100 hours working with special needs children at an elementary school, where I also got to learn pediatric OT strategies and apply them in classrooms. Over 300 hours of volunteer experience at a senior care center. My GPA are not great but I am hoping my work and volunteer experiences compensate for my lower GPA.

Applied: U of A (OT...might apply to PT as well)

Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
cumGPA: ~3.6

subGPA: 3.73
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:1100 hours working with special needs adults in group homes and at a day program. A few hours of shadowing OTs. Both of my references should be good. Only problem is I have 2 W's on my transcript...

Applied: DAL, Queens
Accepted: Queens, DAL (July 28th off waitlist)
Waitlisted: DAL
Rejected:
cumGPA: 3.5

subGPA: ~3.6
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: My essays were pretty good, and so were my references - one of my profs that had went to Harvard at one point in his academics, the other references were all strong as well! Hoping for good luck :)

Applied: UofT, Queens, McMaster (PT)

Accepted: UofT
Waitlisted: - 
Rejected: Queens, McMaster
cumGPA: 3.91

subGPA: 3.94
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: volunteering at PT clinic for past 2 years,personal training, reference from CEO of clinic/Canada Olympic Committee and prof who is also PT

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

cumGPA: 3.91

subGPA: 3.93

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: volunteering at PT clinic for past 2 years,personal training, reference from CEO of clinic/Canada Olympic Committee and prof who is also PT

WOW.THAT IS SO IMPRESSIVE. I WILL SHOCKED IF  YOU DO NOT GET INTO ALL THE SCHOOLS. 

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

cumGPA: 3.57

subGPA: 3.83

Perceived strength of essays/ interviews/references: volunteering- PT clinic (1 year), Toronto Rehab (1 year), worked with autistic children in a sports club for a summer, certified personal trainer, I have references from: A physiotherapist/adjunct lecturer at UofT and my exercise therapy professor

This is my first time applying, and I know my GPA isn't super competitive. I'm taking another semester to boost my sub GPA in case I don't get in this time around. I hope to at least get an interview at UofT or Mac so my knowledge of the profession can shine through! 

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

Perceived strength of essays/ interviews/references: volunteering- PT clinic (1 year), Toronto Rehab (1 year), worked with autistic children in a sports club for a summer, certified personal trainer, I have references from: A physiotherapist/adjunct lecturer at UofT and my exercise therapy professor

This is my first time applying, and I know my GPA isn't super competitive. I'm taking another semester to boost my sub GPA in case I don't get in this time around. I hope to at least get an interview at UofT or Mac so my knowledge of the profession can shine through! 

Look into OT too, if you're interested. You have competitive GPA for that program 

Look into OT too, if you're interested. You have competitive GPA for that program 

I think your GPA is quite competitive and with all your experience, you have a very good chance. YOur personal experiences are geared towards PT so I think you have an advantage there. All the best and good luck. 

Am sure you will get in. One more competitive applicant than me lol. no jealousy here. :P

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

I didn't mean you don't have competitive GPA for PT. I was suggesting OT as a backup (only if you're interested though) because you would definitely get into that program. I would know, I'm trying for OT myself and you have a much better shot than me

Applied: UofT, Queens, McMaster, Western, UofA (PT)

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

cumGPA: 3.53

subGPA: 3.87 (should be correct unless I calculated wrong)

Perceived strength of essays/ interviews/references: A little over 2 Years of volunteering at a PT clinic, a year on student council at UofT (male athletics director), references from a physiotherapist/lecturer at UofT and from my professor whom I've taken two exercise therapy related courses with.

Second time applying, first time I applied I had a 3.81 sGPA, ended up waitlisted at UofT (98) and Western, didn't get an interview at mac. Took a semester at York in the fall to improve marks. Heres hoping this time around is better!

I didn't mean you don't have competitive GPA for PT. I was suggesting OT as a backup (only if you're interested though) because you would definitely get into that program. I would know, I'm trying for OT myself and you have a much better shot than me

Don't use OT as a backup, that's a terrible idea.  Unless you know what OT is and how you can fit in OT don't do it.  I was a PT die hard and I , after consultation with my undergrad professors decided to select OT and I am gad that I did, especially with the employment prospects and not to mention I love it.  Using O|T as a backup is terrible advice

Applied:Queens, Mac, UofT, Western, Dal, UofA, McGill(all OT and PT), UofM(OT only)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
cumGPA: 3.78
subGPA:.3.7
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

Great references, strong essay(i think) 6 years experience working with individuals with disabilities, 80 hours shadowing/volunteering at physio clinic.  

I hope my references and experience gets me into at least one school since my gpa is low (plus I spent a lot of money on applications lol). Good luck to us all

Applied: UofA, UBC, Western, UofT (All PT) 
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected: UBC (didn't get an interview)
cumGPA: 3.90

subGPA: 3.96 (for U of A), 3.91 (ORPAS), and not sure how to calculate GPA for UBC
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: First time applying and I think this part of the application process is going to be my downfall. I have 130 hours volunteered at a physio clinic, and 120 hours volunteered at a hospital. After that, my EC's are not very good and I think I have weak references. I am an Alberta resident, so I am hoping to get into U of A or UBC. Anyways, good luck to all and I will be following this thread for the next few months! 

Don't use OT as a backup, that's a terrible idea.  Unless you know what OT is and how you can fit in OT don't do it.  I was a PT die hard and I , after consultation with my undergrad professors decided to select OT and I am gad that I did, especially with the employment prospects and not to mention I love it.  Using O|T as a backup is terrible advice

I have all the respect for you as well as the OT profession. I just hope you have been speaking to the right individuals when you were discussing employment prospects for Occupational Therapy.. this is a gruesome era for OT grads.

Applied: UofA, UBC, Western, UofT (All PT) 

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

cumGPA: 3.90

subGPA: 3.96 (for U of A), 3.89 (ORPAS), and not sure how to calculate GPA for UBC

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: First time applying and I think this part of the application process is going to be my downfall. I have 130 hours volunteered at a physio clinic, and 120 hours volunteered at a hospital. After that, my EC's are not very good and I think I have weak references. I am an Alberta resident, so I am hoping to get into U of A or UBC. Anyways, good luck to all and I will be following this thread for the next few months! 

u looking good buddy. I think u will get in f u do pass the interview. good luck

I have all the respect for you as well as the OT profession. I just hope you have been speaking to the right individuals when you were discussing employment prospects for Occupational Therapy.. this is a gruesome era for OT grads.

I've been hearing/reading a lot of mixed information regarding OT employment prospects....this is very discouraging to hear :( Are you an OT grad?

I have completed my master of physical therapy degree. I just want to make sure that all students applying to the program know about the struggle in regards to finding a job and how clinics are closing due to low income. Also, the way the clinic operates is not the same as it use to be! 

The marks students have in the past 2-3 years are capable of doing dentistry, optometry, pharmacy or even medical school! There is no need to apply to physical therapy if people have gpa's above 3.85+!

I hope everyone does additional research and even speak to physical therapists that have been working for 10+ years before attending physical therapy school. I know so many physical therapists go look for other jobs. Its very sad to see this happening even though I have a serious passion about the career. 

I have completed my master of physical therapy degree. I just want to make sure that all students applying to the program know about the struggle in regards to finding a job and how clinics are closing due to low income. Also, the way the clinic operates is not the same as it use to be! 

The marks students have in the past 2-3 years are capable of doing dentistry, optometry, pharmacy or even medical school! There is no need to apply to physical therapy if people have gpa's above 3.85+!

I hope everyone does additional research and even speak to physical therapists that have been working for 10+ years before attending physical therapy school. I know so many physical therapists go look for other jobs. Its very sad to see this happening even though I have a serious passion about the career. 

I love when jealous physio applicants make accounts and post things like this :)

..but if I am wrong (which is always possible), you should be able to support your claim with a couple news articles, sources, or links explaining that this is going on across Canada

My source: www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/qc/job_futures/statistics/3142.shtml 

cytochrome-B your comment makes no sense.  :huh:  i have already graduated. Just go ask current physio's working in clinics about their earnings now compared to before 2011. My answer will be clarified. 

Clearly, you haven't researched about the occupation well enough. A clinic operates along side a chiropractor. A chiropractor usually hires the physio but not always! 

Get your facts straight before you post stuff. You don't need to take the advice. Just sharing the current struggle. In the past the GPA required for physio was never high just go search the GPA of incoming students in the past few years. After 2010 the insurance companies have changed some policies and stuff which has made it difficult to make good earnings.

Your link does not explain anything, the statistics for all occupations are inaccurate. Go search the earnings of chiropractors it will say a range in the 6 figures. However, they are struggling along with new physio's trying to open up clinics.  :( I'm looking to become a police officer now.

Hi. I am a current PT student. It seems which ever school you just went to failed to teach you on statistics. It is evident that you are not a PT. peace in the middle east.

cytochrome-B your comment makes no sense.  :huh:  i have already graduated. Just go ask current physio's working in clinics about their earnings now compared to before 2011. My answer will be clarified. 

Clearly, you haven't researched about the occupation well enough. A clinic operates along side a chiropractor. A chiropractor usually hires the physio but not always! 

Get your facts straight before you post stuff. You don't need to take the advice. Just sharing the current struggle. In the past the GPA required for physio was never high just go search the GPA of incoming students in the past few years. After 2010 the insurance companies have changed some policies and stuff which has made it difficult to make good earnings.

Your link does not explain anything, the statistics for all occupations are inaccurate. Go search the earnings of chiropractors it will say a range in the 6 figures. However, they are struggling along with new physio's trying to open up clinics.  :( I'm looking to become a police officer now.

Surely you can get a job somewhere else. This guy seems phony to me.

Applied: Queens, U of T, McMaster

Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
cumGPA: 3.7

subGPA: 3.88
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Feeling ok about my essays (100 hours volunteer PT clinic, 100 hours volunteer PT research, 40 hours volunteer with PT in hospital abroad, volunteer research in mental health, volunteer crisis support worker etc.) Trying to finish up my prerequisite Anatomy and Physiology course before April so I can show its completion before admission decisions are made. Is anyone in a similar boat, with any prerequisites still to finish?

Applied: Queens, U of T, McMaster

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

cumGPA: 3.7

subGPA: 3.88

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Feeling ok about my essays (100 hours volunteer PT clinic, 100 hours volunteer PT research, 40 hours volunteer with PT in hospital abroad, volunteer research in mental health, volunteer crisis support worker etc.) Trying to finish up my prerequisite Anatomy and Physiology course before April so I can show its completion before admission decisions are made. Is anyone in a similar boat, with any prerequisites still to finish?

I am finishing one prerequisite. 3 credits of Psychology. You are not alone. :).

Archived