• Last Reply

Applied: UofM (ot), UofA (ot & pt)

Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
cumGPA: ~3.6

subGPA: UofA - 3.77(pt), 3.73(ot)

UofM - 3.98/4.5
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Lots of good OT related experience, good letters of reference, personal statements were okay, a couple of withdrawals on my transcript...overall a pretty good application I think, but nothing exceptional. Also, I would be considered an in-province applicant for both U of A and U of M.

Good luck everyone!

Applied: UofM (ot), UofA (ot & pt)

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

cumGPA: ~3.6

subGPA: UofA - 3.77(pt), 3.73(ot)

UofM - 3.98/4.5

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Lots of good OT related experience, good letters of reference, personal statements were okay, a couple of withdrawals on my transcript...overall a pretty good application I think, but nothing exceptional. Also, I would be considered an in-province applicant for both U of A and U of M.

Good luck everyone!

interesting. How can one be an in province applicant in two provinces? Parents live in one and you live in another? just curious

cytochrome-B your comment makes no sense.  :huh:  i have already graduated. Just go ask current physio's working in clinics about their earnings now compared to before 2011. My answer will be clarified. 

Clearly, you haven't researched about the occupation well enough. A clinic operates along side a chiropractor. A chiropractor usually hires the physio but not always! 

Get your facts straight before you post stuff. You don't need to take the advice. Just sharing the current struggle. In the past the GPA required for physio was never high just go search the GPA of incoming students in the past few years. After 2010 the insurance companies have changed some policies and stuff which has made it difficult to make good earnings.

Your link does not explain anything, the statistics for all occupations are inaccurate. Go search the earnings of chiropractors it will say a range in the 6 figures. However, they are struggling along with new physio's trying to open up clinics.  :( I'm looking to become a police officer now.

I'm a current PT student and I'm wondering where you went to school/where you're looking for jobs? There are many opportunities if you do your research and live in a well-populated area.

Exactly which changes are you referring with respect to insurance companies? Is this related to MVA, WSIB, private insurance? 

I'm confused as to what you mean by "a clinic operates alongside a chiropractor". Can you elaborate? 

As a disclaimer to readers, the reasons why some clinics fail are: 1) they don't have a proper business plan, and 2) they start a business based on faulty knowledge (or no knowledge) of financial/risk management.

Fun fact: U of T holds a business symposium for 2nd year PT students conducted by a dozen incredibly successful physiotherapists who teach students how to start/develop/maintain a successful business. I'm not sure if other programs offer this, but it's certainly helpful for those considering private practice.

interesting. How can one be an in province applicant in two provinces? Parents live in one and you live in another? just curious

Well I grew up and completed my undergrad in Manitoba. Then I moved to Alberta a couple of years ago and have been taking full-time coursework here......so I contacted both universities because I was confused about whether to apply as an in-province applicant or out-of province. And both replied back saying that I would be considered in-province so i guess it just works out that way. But who knows, they could have misunderstood my exact situation so I guess I don't feel 100% sure that I will actually be qualified as "in-province" for both!

Well I grew up and completed my undergrad in Manitoba. Then I moved to Alberta a couple of years ago and have been taking full-time coursework here......so I contacted both universities because I was confused about whether to apply as an in-province applicant or out-of province. And both replied back saying that I would be considered in-province so i guess it just works out that way. But who knows, they could have misunderstood my exact situation so I guess I don't feel 100% sure that I will actually be qualified as "in-province" for both!

oh ok. makes sense. I am sure you are good. all the best

Applied: OT: U of A, McGill, Queens, Western
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
cumGPA: 3.33

subGPA: 3.59

I've worked the past 2 years as a registered kinesiologist alongside an OT for return to work (LTD) focusing on cancer, mental health, and brain injury programs specifically. I've completed practicum placements in long term care, inclusive education, recreational therapy, and cancer rehabilitation all alongside an OT. I've worked as a peer mentor in a student success centre, focusing on mental health and working one on one with students suffering from anxiety and depression to thrive in school. I'm certified in completing functional capacity evaluations, and pre-employment screens. I've also worked in vocational services looking at alternative options for individual's with work injuries that have changed their ability to work and they need to find alternate suitable employment based on their restrictions. Due to my lower GPA, I'm really hoping my strong background shows in my applications, if not it's back for more courses. Good luck to everyone :)  

Applied: UofT, Queens, McMaster (PT)

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

cumGPA: 3.71

subGPA: 3.82

Perceived Strengths:

- 176 hours as Cardiac Rehab Assistant

- 60 hours of Physiotherapy Assistant

- 150+ hours as research assistant 

SubGPA is a little low, but I'm just hoping for the best!

Hoping my personal submission scores well for Queens University.

Applied: OT: U of A, McGill, Queens, Western

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

cumGPA: 3.33

subGPA: 3.59

I've worked the past 2 years as a registered kinesiologist alongside an OT for return to work (LTD) focusing on cancer, mental health, and brain injury programs specifically. I've completed practicum placements in long term care, inclusive education, recreational therapy, and cancer rehabilitation all alongside an OT. I've worked as a peer mentor in a student success centre, focusing on mental health and working one on one with students suffering from anxiety and depression to thrive in school. I'm certified in completing functional capacity evaluations, and pre-employment screens. I've also worked in vocational services looking at alternative options for individual's with work injuries that have changed their ability to work and they need to find alternate suitable employment based on their restrictions. Due to my lower GPA, I'm really hoping my strong background shows in my applications, if not it's back for more courses. Good luck to everyone :)

your experiences will most likely get u into Queens at least

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

cumGPA: 3.71

Perceived Strengths:

- 176 hours as Cardiac Rehab Assistant

- 60 hours of Physiotherapy Assistant

- 150+ hours as research assistant 

SubGPA is a little low, but I'm just hoping for the best!

Hoping my personal submission scores well for Queens University.

u look good on paper. I dont see why you would not get into Queens. You might even get interviews at the other schools.

Thanks for your opinion but I think people will apply to both anyways. Everyone has their reasons. I honestly, shadowed both OT and PT and I loved both. I applied to OT cos it is more along the lines of m previous work experience which I happen to enjoy. PT on the other hand was less directly related and I loved it as well. I am 25 (graduated high school at 16) and it took me so long to find what I loved and wanted to do. Do you know how happy I was to find that I had two options? I do not like to put all my eggs in one basket. BTW, I also shadowed a pharmacist and I knew it was not for me even though it is in healthcare. I want to own my own practice one day and PT makes it easier so I would probably say I have a slight preference for it. But either way am a happy camper .

I don't have to explain myself to u but I hope you will see why some of us applied to both. Besides, no one will go and cancel their OT application just because u feel this way. Good luck to us all. 

Applying to both OT and PT does not necessarily mean you view one or the other as a back up. It demonstrates an interest in both programs. I've done the same when applying to professional in the past. A great idea so long as you see yourself fit for either career! Good luck

Applying to both OT and PT does not necessarily mean you view one or the other as a back up. It demonstrates an interest in both programs. I've done the same when applying to professional in the past. A great idea so long as you see yourself fit for either career! Good luck

i totally agree

Applied: Queen's, McGill, UofT, Dal, Alberta (OT); McGill (PT)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
cumGPA: 3.33 ORPAS

subGPA: 3.38 ORPAS
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Work experience primarily in sport coaching and sports marketing with big sport organizations, 1 journal publication, 1 pending (health organization) website publication, 3 leadership positions in interprofessional clubs at both a regional and national level, competed in a national interprofessional competition, a few humanitarian and leadership experiences, interprofessional education award, ~60hrs volunteering with a physio and an above average personal statement + strong references.

Applied: U of T, Western, Queen's, McMaster (all PT)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
cGPA: 3.90

sGPA: 3.92
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: My references were pretty good, one was my research supervisor and the other was a physiotherapist I volunteered with. I have ~80 hours of physio volunteering so I think my weakest point will be that I don't have more. Kind of botched the Queen's essay but it isn't my top choice of school anyway so oh well

Applied: UofT, McMaster, Western, Queens (all OT) 

Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
cumGPA:3.79

subGPA: 3.78
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I have almost 200 hours working with a paediatric OT who provided me with the opportunity to be heavily involved in the therapeutic process. I currently work at a community outreach and respite program for individuals with dementia in a rehab hospital (for over a year), and I have experience working in a group home for individuals for disabilities. I think that my statement of intent was strong, though I find myself second guessing myself. I did not get a chance to read my reference letters but I had an OT and my work supervisor write them. Hoping for the best, good luck everyone! 

Applied: UofT, McMaster, Western, Queens, McGill, UBC (PT)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
cumGPA: 3.49

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: 400+ hours total volunteering in two different physio clinic's (one in hospital). Also have research experience through the summer and school year. I am sure my two references are good. Not sure how great my essay is. Weakness is obviously my GPA. 

Applied: U of M, McGill, U of T, Queens, Mac, Western (All PT)

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

cumGPA: 3.61

subGPA: 3.78

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: 5 year Varsity athlete with 100 plus hours volunteering in both Physio clinics and Senior residences. The Past two summers I've had the opportunity to work as a NSCA-CPT with athletes, general pop and persons with a disability. Have also worked as a research assistant in a motor control lab this year but only started in the first semester. Felt as though with my ECs the essays went well, but don't know if they will compensate for my lowish GPA. References are a Physio who owns the gym where I worked and the professor I'm working for as a research assistant. Best of luck to all!

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

cumGPA: 3.66

subGPA: 3.88

Perceived strength of essays/ interviews/references: volunteering- PT clinic (1 year), Toronto Rehab (1 year), worked with autistic children in a sports club for a summer, certified personal trainer, I have references from: A physiotherapist/adjunct lecturer at UofT and my exercise therapy professor

Luckily, I miscalculated my GPA the first time I posted. I'm more confident about getting an interview now. But I'm blown away by everyone on this thread, the competition is real. I wish everyone all the best!  

Applied: McMasters OT/PT, Western OT/PT, & UofT OT 
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
cumGPA: 3.45 (had a terrible first year)

subGPA: 3.76
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I think my letters of intent were pretty strong. I had a lot of personal experience both with PT and OT. Experience isn't much though...10 months at a PT rehab clinic working with people with Aphasias/neurological disorders, 2 months at a sports physio clinic, and working with my autistic future brother in law around the house.  Non-related experience includes 5 years at Agriculture-Canada working with bees...tried to tie it in with research abilities and working in teams etc. Any thoughts on my chances? I'm leaning more towards OT than PT, but I thought I'd apply to both even though my subGPA isn't the most impressive.  Fingers crossed! :D

Archived