Premed 101 Forums

Some Informative Posts For Those Who May Be Considering The Caribbean As Their Second Chance.

• 2 months later...

Great post and very informative.

What is the summary for practicing in canada vs the US as a caribbean medical graduate? Why do many say it is almost impossible to come back to canada (currently), but the US is very possible. How is the current situation?

Next year, likely much more difficult than ever before. I'm not an expert in this, but Health Canada has put substantial restrictions on the amount of Canadians who can do a residency in the US. Less than 300 in family, for example, which was previously unlimited. And that includes everyone, Canadians, people who went to top US schools, and Carib grads.So even if you find a residency in the US, you have to then hope to be one of those who gets the statement of need

While I don't disagree with the very knowledgable post above, I think the next couple years will see the options for IMGs go from bad to worse. Like the first poster said, it will be a risk and a choice no one should make if they have any other option

Statement of need is first come first serve. A superstar candidate from Harvard can literally be rejected just out of dumb luck

That's what I mean. It's a total gamble. The difference is a Harvard grad has the option of applying first-round in Canada, while the carib grad doesn't

That's what I mean. It's a total gamble. The difference is a Harvard grad has the option of applying first-round in Canada, while the carib grad doesn't

The Harvard grad also has a much better shot at the non-J1 visa options in the US, bypassing the gamble.

The Caribbean route is a risky option that's getting progressively riskier. That's true for both US and Canadian citizens. The author presents it as a cutthroat-but-meritocratic pathway. There's definitely some truth to that. But there's a fair bit of luck involved too, as there is for all points in medicine. There are no sure things, even for a high-performing Caribbean grad.

Statement of need is first come first serve. A superstar candidate from Harvard can literally be rejected just out of dumb luck

Except that every US Grad (not Carribeans) can simply just go on their F1 OPTI Visa for PGY1 and retry for SON for J1 again, or H1B.

IMGs(Non-US grads), do not have the option of going on F1 OPTI visa, so if they dont get the SON, they are sitting out a year.

There is too much of a risk going on F1 if you're not sure that you would have a visa in hand. It's one thing to go on F1 with the program saying: "yes we'll sponsor you for H1b, just give us a year to process it" versus going on F1 and the program saying: "you might get an H1b after the intern year."

If you don't get a visa after intern, then you're really screwed

Your program is going to support you. No one is going to hang you high and dry after 4 years of medical school in the US and 1 year of US residency, they've invested so much in you and aren't going to let a good candidate fail because of visa issues. I'm sure they will get you onto a H1B, those would be the exceptional circumstances that warrant one. 

Archived