Premed 101 Forums

General Surgery Residency?

Some surg programs don't like to play by the rules and you will end up staying for several hours post call a lot of the time, which definitely makes your weeks 100+ hours and rarely will you get 8 hours a sleep. Talk to current residents at each program to get the down low.

I've managed on 4-6 hour nights for most of my life (need to see a sleep clinic!) but it stills seems like a ridiculous residency. I considered it simply because I'm a generalist at heart and if I decide to go down the surgical path, this is where I'd see myself. Plus so many global health applications. But my god...

I've managed on 4-6 hour nights for most of my life (need to see a sleep clinic!) but it stills seems like a ridiculous residency. I considered it simply because I'm a generalist at heart and if I decide to go down the surgical path, this is where I'd see myself. Plus so many global health applications. But my god...

General surgery is rapidly becoming just as subspecialized as many other surgical specialties. They have their own areas of expertise (intra-peritoneal, fascia, breast etc.) but they aren't roaming the body doing a bunch of different stuff anymore. 

General surgery is rapidly becoming just as subspecialized as many other surgical specialties. They have their own areas of expertise (intra-peritoneal, fascia, breast etc.) but they aren't roaming the body doing a bunch of different stuff anymore. 

Thank you for the insight! I wasn't aware of this. It makes sense that people find their niche in any speciality but didn't think it'd be so focused.

Anybody who selects a field b/c of the pay, will live to regret this.

Why do people assume if someone is interested in surgery its because of the pay. I think that is more applicable to dermatology and ophthalmology. Even then, studies do show dermatologists to be one happy bunch.

• 1 year later...

Archived