Premed 101 Forums

Transferring From Us To Canadian Residency Program

DJDakoo

Does anyone know if this is possible? I am currently in an american ACGME accredited program, but am looking to transfer to a Canadian residency program in the same field. 

Would I have to apply through CaRMS all over again? Or can I contact Canadian programs directly to see if any spots are available for the upcoming year?

Thanks

Does anyone know if this is possible? I am currently in an american ACGME accredited program, but am looking to transfer to a Canadian residency program in the same field. 

Would I have to apply through CaRMS all over again? Or can I contact Canadian programs directly to see if any spots are available for the upcoming year?

Thanks

Not happening - two different systems. You'll have to apply to CaRMS, and you'll probably be only eligible for 2nd iteration(since you have prior training).

Just stay in your current program.

Though it seems that it has happened in the past, it's likely very rare.

• 1 month later...

Thanks

I know of a handful of people from American residencies who transferred into my former residency program outside of the CaRMS process.  I don't know the details, other than they contacted the PD and then had some sort of interview...somehow.  Sorry don't know much more than that but I do know that it is possible, though probably more the exception than the rule

I know of a handful of people from American residencies who transferred into my former residency program outside of the CaRMS process.  I don't know the details, other than they contacted the PD and then had some sort of interview...somehow.  Sorry don't know much more than that but I do know that it is possible, though probably more the exception than the rule

Are you sure this wasn't for fellowship purposes?

Seems highly suspect that one would be able to go outside of the CaRMS match process(anyone with prior training would be round 2), and especially since its two different systems.. I guess since its an american residency they wouldn't have an issue with used funding - but they should strictly be going through CaRMS?

EDIT: Seems that there are documents that indicate it may not be out of the question...

Seems perplexing, since its a requirement of programs that if they participate in the match, that they should not be offering positions outside of the match process.

Here's an old document for the OP that may provide insight, or a starting point of who to contact:

http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/postgrad/documents/TransfersPolicyFINALJUNE2010_000.pdf

The wording seems to suggest, that in rare situations, it is possible....

"Such requests will be considered after the internal, intra-provincial transfer request processes, and the 2nd iteration of CARMS are complete. "

Also the below link:

http://www.med.uottawa.ca/postgraduate/eng/graduates_usa.html

"

D. Repatriation Program (for USA medical graduates)

USA medical graduates currently enrolled in a residency program in the USA may qualify for the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care Repatriation program. This program is designed to attract medical graduates who have Canadian citizenship or Landed Immigrant Status to Ontario to complete their residency program toward Royal College certification. The Ministry of Health and Long Term Care will fund 6 months to 2 years of specialty training if the candidate agrees to sign a return to service commitment to an under-serviced area."

Good luck

Are you sure this wasn't for fellowship purposes?

Having actually been there at the time, spoken to these people, drunk beer with them, worked with them clinically, studied for Royal College exams with them, etc etc, etc -- I am quite sure these were transfers from an American residency to an equivalent Canadian residency. 

That, plus the fact that I'm actually not quite as mentally deficient as you seem to believe that I am, makes me think that I have some degree of credibility to comment on the original poster's question.

I'm not sure what else I can say about this to convince you that I'm not mistaken and to allay your suspicions and perplexity.

Having actually been there at the time, spoken to these people, drunk beer with them, worked with them clinically, studied for Royal College exams with them, etc etc, etc -- I am quite sure these were transfers from an American residency to an equivalent Canadian residency. 

That, plus the fact that I'm actually not quite as mentally deficient as you seem to believe that I am, makes me think that I have some degree of credibility to comment on the original poster's question.

I'm not sure what else I can say about this to convince you that I'm not mistaken and to allay your suspicions and perplexity.

I think you missed my edit, and that it does seem possible as a pathway(in general, as it obviously happened in your program) ( it also wasn't clear that they were your co-residents since you said it was your "former program", but that's besides the point).

I more so meant that it was suspect/perplexing at face value that programs were allowed to do that, not questioning its factual correctness based on your providing of the insight.

Sorry for that confusion on my part!

Archived