Premed 101 Forums

Last Year's Admission Stats Are Up

http://medicine.usask.ca/documents/Admissions/Admissionstats2015summary.pdf

Looks like the IP applicant pool decreased by half because of the new degree requirement, and there's about a 50% acceptance rate if you're from Saskatchewan. Meanwhile, they managed to get 12 OOP spots filled, after interviewing a shit ton of people by dropping the MCAT cutoff from the previous cycle. 

Damn I wish this thread was more active so that I could satisfy my waiting nerves hahah.

I also just remembered that this is the very first application cycle with a required MCAT (used to be that you could a) write the MCAT or B) do the prerequisites). I wonder if that will result in fewer applications? With no minimum MCAT scores required though, who knows really. It's a real wait-and-see.

Damn I wish this thread was more active so that I could satisfy my waiting nerves hahah.

I also just remembered that this is the very first application cycle with a required MCAT (used to be that you could a) write the MCAT or B) do the prerequisites). I wonder if that will result in fewer applications? With no minimum MCAT scores required though, who knows really. It's a real wait-and-see.

Oh they implemented that this year? I could see that possibly having a similar (but lesser) effect seen last year due to the degree requirement... But you're right, nothing to do but to wait and see.

I'm curious, what kind of MCAT stats are people applying with (IP)? (since this is a new thing, the scores being considered and not just a pass/fail)

I know for previous cycles it was a strict 8/8/8, but with no cut-off given this year I'm really unsure about my app... I have a 124 in one section, about equivalent to a 7, and I'm hoping that won't be a deal-breaker. Again, wishing so much that the process were as transparent as with other schools (e.g. U of C)!

I would assume the "no cut off" rule was made this year to take into account the new MCAT and the fact that people taking it might have collectively had a hard time with certain sections. They do say they look for inconsistency or differences between MCAT and GPA but no one really knows to what extent they'll consider certain scores to be too much out of line with the rest of their score. Just as is with pretty much everything in the application process, we just don't know that much.

I know it sucks but there's not much to do now but wait, see what they say and hope for the best.

It will be interesting to see what the mcat cutoff turns out to be this year. 34 VR 11 was used most recently, would that roughly be a 512-514 and CARS 128? I'm completely guessing. (This is in terms of the actual competitive mcat score good enough for an interview).

I wonder if someone scored just one point under their cutoff in a specific section, but otherwise had a competitive mcat would still be considered or if they would take someone with a lower total score and lower cars/vr score that still met all of their subsection cutoffs. 

Ultimately, I suppose it would depend on the strength of the applicant pool and the number of interview invites they are looking to send. It's kind of interesting to think about where/how you "draw the line".

Oh yeah just a heads up, I heard from a very reliable source that there's definitely more IP applicants this year. Also, for OOP, the total MCAT score is more important, and VR is just used to break the cutoff.

Damn, was hoping for similar stats to last year in terms of GPA cut-off for an interview (IP)... it seems from the official 2015 stats just posted that everyone who applied with a GPA >78% got an invite.

I still can't see how numbers would return to anywhere near historic levels, though, even with a few more applicants this year... more than last year's 170 is still likely going to be a lot better than the nearly 400 in the years before that! Also, wasn't it the case that they couldn't even find enough qualified IP applicants to fill all the interview spots available last year? If that's the case (and granted, this is my hopeful/bored at work conjecture) I'm going to predict a similar GPA cut-off to get an interview as last year, with possibly stiffer competition after that. 

And that's not counting the fact that some currently complete applications may soon be tossed for not meeting the unknown MCAT cut-off (including possibly my own...) 

Oh yeah just a heads up, I heard from a very reliable source that there's definitely more IP applicants this year. Also, for OOP, the total MCAT score is more important, and VR is just used to break the cutoff.

So there isn't going to be a minimum VR used unless there's too many people with the same score? Any idea if the cutoff will likely increase from last year overall?

So there isn't going to be a minimum VR used unless there's too many people with the same score? Any idea if the cutoff will likely increase from last year overall?

From what I remember on the U Sask website for OOP the cutoff is as follows: 126/127/127/126

However, what the actual cutoff will be (in terms of a competitive score and actually getting an interview) is unknown and depends on the applicant pool and I believe Sask is accepting both the old & new mcat this year. Should be very interesting.

From what I remember on the U Sask website for OOP the cutoff is as follows: 126/127/127/126

However, what the actual cutoff will be (in terms of a competitive score and actually getting an interview) is unknown and depends on the applicant pool and I believe Sask is accepting both the old & new mcat this year. Should be very interesting.

Opps I forgot to specify in terms of old MCAT!

And I've seen those too, I think its 30 'technically', however each year it appears there is a new 'cutoff' of sorts, that determines who actually gets interviewed

• 1 month later...

I just read this on their website "Selection of Out-of-province applicants invited to interview will be based on the MCAT total score (MCAT Sum), with the Verbal Reasoning score or Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills score being used to break ties"

So if I had to guess they would probably pick a number like 34 for the MCAT and since there would be too many students with that score they would cut everyone who scored a 34 but not an 11 on verbal reasoning (just an example)

Anyone please feel free to correct me, I know little about the process.

Am I getting this right? For the last cycle, for IP applicants, out of a total of 173 applicants, 134 were interviewed for 88 spots? And if you take into account people who have refused their acceptances, the vast majority of interviewed were accepted? Wow that seems like a crazy good ratio.

I guess in 2-3 cycles it will normalize, when everyone will start applying after an undergrad.

Am I getting this right? For the last cycle, for IP applicants, out of a total of 173 applicants, 134 were interviewed for 88 spots? And if you take into account people who have refused their acceptances, the vast majority of interviewed were accepted? Wow that seems like a crazy good ratio.

I guess in 2-3 cycles it will normalize, when everyone will start applying after an undergrad.

I'm assuming 100% of IP who passed the interview were accepted :P

They normally have the OOP quota capped at 10, but since there were 12 OOPs that means they ran out of IPs to accept

• 2 weeks later...

Do you happen to know if they're sending out the MCAT cutoffs to people who didn't make it (for OOP) in December again this year?

• 1 month later...

Is it not possible that with a high number of candidates getting offers last year, there will be a reduction in the pool? Correct me if my reasoning is wrong

• 3 weeks later...

Is it not possible that with a high number of candidates getting offers last year, there will be a reduction in the pool? Correct me if my reasoning is wrong

That's what I thought also, however Virgil says there's more ip this year so now I dunno how things are going to go

• 7 months later...

https://medicine.usask.ca/documents/ugme/admission/2016UGMEAdmissionsStats.pdf

Number of applicants for both IP and OOP went up, interview slots for OOP went down (cut off at 96 percentile, VR11/CARS127). MMI for IP went up (from 12th to 19th percentile), OOP still at 30th percentile.

Thanks!

Lol IP stats vs OOP. Surprised with the 127 for CARS most schools set at least 128 for OOP.

Archived