Premed 101 Forums

Official University Of Alberta 2016 Pharmacy Applicants - Class Of 2020

starrynight111

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Do you think I have a good chance? First time applying out of second year.

As a 4rth year student who is graduating this semester and trying for pharm for the third time, I'd highly recommend it. my cGPA will probably be 3.5-3.6 by the end of this semester, and my prereqGPA will probably be 3.6-3.7.

Honestly, your chances are probably going to be largely based on the interview, and this is where experience will come in handy. The interview is very short, maybe 5 minutes long and it will be incredibly awkward. Even if you're the type of person who'd be fine with talking to another person face to face. In the interview, you'll be essentially looking at yourself talking. You'll see every little detail, every little blemish. You'll feel pressured since you have a time limit, you'll wonder if your microphone is transmitting your voice loud enough for the interviewer to understand you.

I know people with 3.9+ GPAs and well written letter of intents who didn't get in because they flubbed the interview. I might be over-dramatising the whole thing, but take a load off. Just apply for the experience, and if you get lucky, then all is good. Oh, and remember to make sure you have no expectations whatsoever about the outcome, so in the event of rejection, you won't beat yourself up over it. 

Guh. I would really like to get in this year. I would also prefer not filling another pharmacy consultation form too, I've pretty much run out of questions to ask after the last 2 runs. As you can see though, I really do advocate working on your interviewing skills. Thats not to say to be all super serious and providing the perfect answers, but to show who you are to the person who'd be looking through all the clips later. So if you're a funny guy, show it. It'll probably get a better reaction than mr.uptight&serious(.....you can leave out the slapstick comedy though.)

...and if you haven't deduced it yet, my interviews didn't go too great the last couple times. But this year is the year!

Also if you ever did poorly on a prereq, you can always upgrade with the next level course. I lifted a couple B+s to A-s that way.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey,how is everyone doing?

Im a third year microbiology and immunology student planning on applying to pharmacy (deadline on 31!!!) and have a 82% average. I still have one humanities prereq credit to fufill and a chem 235 lab credit to do so im taking those this semester (thank god they said they'll consider it even though its second semester!) and just wanted to keep up with the group. How did you guys find chem 235? Im super anxious about it :( also i took GSRSJ 102 as my humanities prereq and would love to know your opinion on it.

As a 4rth year student who is graduating this semester and trying for pharm for the third time, I'd highly recommend it. my cGPA will probably be 3.5-3.6 by the end of this semester, and my prereqGPA will probably be 3.6-3.7.

Honestly, your chances are probably going to be largely based on the interview, and this is where experience will come in handy. The interview is very short, maybe 5 minutes long and it will be incredibly awkward. Even if you're the type of person who'd be fine with talking to another person face to face. In the interview, you'll be essentially looking at yourself talking. You'll see every little detail, every little blemish. You'll feel pressured since you have a time limit, you'll wonder if your microphone is transmitting your voice loud enough for the interviewer to understand you.

I know people with 3.9+ GPAs and well written letter of intents who didn't get in because they flubbed the interview. I might be over-dramatising the whole thing, but take a load off. Just apply for the experience, and if you get lucky, then all is good. Oh, and remember to make sure you have no expectations whatsoever about the outcome, so in the event of rejection, you won't beat yourself up over it. 

Guh. I would really like to get in this year. I would also prefer not filling another pharmacy consultation form too, I've pretty much run out of questions to ask after the last 2 runs. As you can see though, I really do advocate working on your interviewing skills. Thats not to say to be all super serious and providing the perfect answers, but to show who you are to the person who'd be looking through all the clips later. So if you're a funny guy, show it. It'll probably get a better reaction than mr.uptight&serious(.....you can leave out the slapstick comedy though.)

...and if you haven't deduced it yet, my interviews didn't go too great the last couple times. But this year is the year!

Also if you ever did poorly on a prereq, you can always upgrade with the next level course. I lifted a couple B+s to A-s that way.

Hey man if you want i can help you prep for the interview- i work full time as a HR manager and kinda know what moet my interviewers are looking for. Also, I have the same cGPA/preGPA so we might as well prep together:)

Do you think I have a good chance? First time applying out of second year.

Like QuestionableBagel said, the letter of intent and the video are crucial to your application. Your pre req GPA, cGPA, and number of preprofessional years is quite common. The average overall GPA for those that are admitted in the past few years has hovered around a 3.5, many having applied only once after the second year (~50 in class of 2019). I would say your chances are fair, provided that you spend the time and effort to write a solid LOI, and prepare for the video interview. The Alberta College of Pharmacists website was a great resource that I used when I was going through the application process. Good luck! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey man if you want i can help you prep for the interview- i work full time as a HR manager and kinda know what moet my interviewers are looking for. Also, I have the same cGPA/preGPA so we might as well prep together:)

That's be great. Sorry that I didn't get back to you sooner, it's exam season. I'm planning on starting my LOI after tommorow when I finally finish the first wave of midterms.

Just PM me your number or kik, and we can work together.

Like QuestionableBagel said, the letter of intent and the video are crucial to your application. Your pre req GPA, cGPA, and number of preprofessional years is quite common. The average overall GPA for those that are admitted in the past few years has hovered around a 3.5, many having applied only once after the second year (~50 in class of 2019). I would say your chances are fair, provided that you spend the time and effort to write a solid LOI, and prepare for the video interview. The Alberta College of Pharmacists website was a great resource that I used when I was going through the application process. Good luck! 

Thanks pandapharm! Is 3.5 the competitive average of admitted students or the average of the applying students? I thought the averages have been on the rise more towards a 3.7 to be competitive in province. Also, how do I go about the questions on the LOI? I am really lost on some of them.

• 3 weeks later...

2nd year undergrad with a 3.84 cGPA (IP) and will be applying to UofA this year. I'm wondering if that is competitive as a second year applicant, since most people on this forum seem to be in their senior years. I'm also wondering if anyone knows what the interview is like :S 

Thanks! 

That's a good GPA. If you don't mind me asking what is your pGPA? I didn't get in with a 3.7 however people with a lower GPA did. The LOI and interview are also VERY important. The interview was two questions done over a computer.

Thanks for the reply. pGPA is 3.7 :/  

Thanks for the reply. pGPA is 3.7 :/  

Don't be concerned about that GPA - it's competitive.

Important to do a good job on the LOI - clearly demonstrate that you know what a pharmacist does -> Focusing on clinical role rather than dispensing (although mention it as drug distribution is still part of our job).

Be presentable in your interview, speak clearly, enunciate, and be confident. They're looking for people who will be able become successful pharmacists and communication is an integral aspect of the profession.

That's a good GPA. If you don't mind me asking what is your pGPA? I didn't get in with a 3.7 however people with a lower GPA did. The LOI and interview are also VERY important. The interview was two questions done over a computer.

Since you've done this before can you shed some light on the specifics of the interview. How long do you have to answer the questions? What is the general topic for them? Just something to prepare for and calm the nerves :)

Since you've done this before can you shed some light on the specifics of the interview. How long do you have to answer the questions? What is the general topic for them? Just something to prepare for and calm the nerves :)

I can't say to much for obvious reasons. There were two questions with 2-3 minutes allowed for each question. As for the topics, all I can say is that they were really general. 

EDIT: Sorry for the vague answer however, once you get the interview email it will explain things fairly well. 

Hi Everyone,

When you sent your letter of intent, did you get an automatic reply saying "Thank you for your email?" I received an automatic reply when I sent my pharmacist-student consultation form but not when I sent my letter of intent and I'm a bit worried.

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

When you sent your letter of intent, did you get an automatic reply saying "Thank you for your email?" I received an automatic reply when I sent my pharmacist-student consultation form but not when I sent my letter of intent and I'm a bit worried.

Thanks!

Its alright same thing happened to me. They probably removed the automated reply since so many people will be emailing them right now. 

Hey everyone! I am currently in the program in the Class of 2019 (1st year). Last year during the admissions process some current students made posts and answered questions on here to help ease the anxiety of applications, LOIs, and interviews as well as provide insight on the program and what it is like to be a pharmacy student. Hopefully I can provide the help to you that my upper years provided all of us with when we were in your situation :). Feel free to ask any questions regarding admissions or the program itself! Best of luck to all of you.

Archived