Premed 101 Forums

Official University Of Alberta 2016 Pharmacy Applicants - Class Of 2020

starrynight111

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got an interview myself! Right now is prepping for UBC. Honestly though I would greatly prefer to be accept by UofA more. UBC is just too expensive and I cannot imagine myself able to afford a home anywhere around Vancouver or southern BC at all.

As well, if you guys are worried about the fact Alberta offers only Bachelor of Pharmacy, don't worry. I talked with someone from the admission office. While they cannot confirm anything, they are hoping that we will be allowed to graduate as PharmD and just Bachelor just like toronto and UBC. Or, at least, we have the option to do something to get that PharmD. It is the impression, I get. So, don't sue me if I am wrong.

Pre-req: 3.9

cGPA: 3.75

OOP

I am not totally sure what to make of the interview offer. Did everyone who applied get an interview or is it just some of the applicants?

I believe last year almost everyone received one, and it is my understanding that they offer one to every applicant that meets the criteria for application (has the necessary prereqs and the minimum GPA). Since it is online it doesn't require any extra resources for them to facilitate interviewing everyone.

how?! can you tell us the questions you had/ how to do that ourselves?

Awkward if the questions turns out to be about ethics and professionalism.

If you think you need assistance or to 'cheat' your way through the interview, there are people more deserving of your seat - although it wouldn't be the first time in the Faculty that someone's online activity has resulted in reprimand.

Hey everyone! So I'm not applying for pharmacy but I am asking a question for a friend... she doesn't want to do it herself because she feels humiliated but I still want to help her out. So she applied for the  Pharmacy program for Fall 2016, submitted her LOI, some consultant form and received an online interview. But her admission status for the program was updated to "Ineligible " on Beartracks (I'm guess due to her GPA, but I don't want to say anything...). And she hasn't submitted her interview, so I guess she wants to know if she should still do the interview and submit it. She wants to do it just to complete the whole admission process and experience it so she knows what it' s like if she were to apply again in the future. But at the same time, she doesn't want to do it because she feels like a big let down and pretty useless, and does not want to humiliate herself by submitting it because there's no point anyway. So what should she do??? I really want to help her out to give her some sense of comfort, I have never seen her so disappointed before :(

Thank you in advance for your suggestions

Hey everyone! So I'm not applying for pharmacy but I am asking a question for a friend... she doesn't want to do it herself because she feels humiliated but I still want to help her out. So she applied for the  Pharmacy program for Fall 2016, submitted her LOI, some consultant form and received an online interview. But her admission status for the program was updated to "Ineligible " on Beartracks (I'm guess due to her GPA, but I don't want to say anything...). And she hasn't submitted her interview, so I guess she wants to know if she should still do the interview and submit it. She wants to do it just to complete the whole admission process and experience it so she knows what it' s like if she were to apply again in the future. But at the same time, she doesn't want to do it because she feels like a big let down and pretty useless, and does not want to humiliate herself by submitting it because there's no point anyway. So what should she do??? I really want to help her out to give her some sense of comfort, I have never seen her so disappointed before :(

Hey! You should definitely tell your friend to complete the application process. Even though she isn't eligible for the 2016 year, it is a huge advantage to have interview experience for next year! It'll make her more confident for future interviews. She's got nothing to lose, so tell her to cheer up and work on what she needs to do to get accepted next year :)

May I ask Where it says ineligible? I still have decision pending on my dashboard at bear-tracks website

Just in the admission decision section. I'm not completely sure why she was ineligible to continue her application, but I think it might have been her GPA, so she might have been cut because the competitive admission GPA may be higher this year and she was possibly in the "lower" range of GPA's

May I ask Where it says ineligible? I still have decision pending on my dashboard at bear-tracks website

Hey, let her know that she has nothing to be ashamed about. Some people trip but that doesn't mean they have fallen. Tell her to take this experience for what it's worth and build upon it.

Just in the admission decision section. I'm not completely sure why she was ineligible to continue her application, but I think it might have been her GPA, so she might have been cut because the competitive admission GPA may be higher this year and she was possibly in the "lower" range of GPA's

That's really unfortunate that her application was considered ineligible. But she definitely should try again, and take it as experience for next year.

Just curious though, how "low" was her GPA? Because I'm surprised that they would cancel it this early - the only time I've heard of an application being ineligible was because of a missing prerequisite.

I think it was something between 3.0 - 3.2, but I'm not really sure about that... She didn't tell me what her actual GPA was... But even though she didn't meet the competitive GPA of 3.5, she still wanted to apply because last year they apparently accepted someone with a 23.4. She's just in shock that she was denied admission so early in the process, she didn't even get a chance to do her interview yet. So I guess she saw this coming but just not this soon.....

I think it was something between 3.0 - 3.2, but I'm not really sure about that... She didn't tell me what her actual GPA was... But even though she didn't meet the competitive GPA of 3.5, she still wanted to apply because last year they apparently accepted someone with a 23.4. She's just in shock that she was denied admission so early in the process, she didn't even get a chance to do her interview yet. So I guess she saw this coming but just not this soon.....

That doesn't seem right to me. Does she go to the uofa? Is she sure she completed the pre-requisites? Maybe she did something on the LOI that they flagged her for.  

Hello. To those who have done the interview already, how did you find it?

Did mine like a week ago. Honestly, I was still recovering from having my wisdom teeth extracted and it was probably a very poor choice to do my interview after literally not having talked for a week. I have this sort of compulsion to get things done though, and leaving my interview untouched left a bad feeling in my chest.

Overall, I felt that I did very well on the first question, but the second question they threw at me was so straight forward that I choked up a bit. I swear I spent like 20 seconds getting my thoughts together in a 2 minute 30 second question. After the initial panic attack, I managed to recover and pump out a fluid answer, so I hope that displays that I can think on my feet and act quickly after being taken by surprise. (at least...I hope it does)

Hello Guys,

I was just reading through the forum and I thought I could ask afew questions of my own. I know most of the students accepted to the program are from Alberta with afew OOP. I am a first time applicant applying from OOP and I was wondering what my chances are of getting in. A little info about me:

Bachelor of Science in Biology - 2014

Master of Science in Biology - 2016 

Met all prerequsites

Overall GPA as of May 2016 - 3.571

I know the PCAT is not required but I took it anyway and scored in the 95th percentile.

Do you guys think I have a chance? Just curious :)

Hi just wanted to ask how long the preparation time is for the actual interview? It was 30s (I think) for the practice, but I remember last year the interview had only 10s of preparation time.

Also to people who have done this before, is it similar to the past interviews?

Archived