Premed 101 Forums

Value Of Volunteering

Thanks for the insights, W0lfgang.

Go along with your lecture material and supplement with textbooks and uptodate at home. The more you know, the better off you will be.

You will most definitely forget a lot by 3rd year but the difference between you and the next guy is that it will take you a lot less to relearn it or learn new but related topics. You won't forget everything, which means you can answer a few lucky pimp questions during rounds that others can't. It all helps for your image.

You may think that some concepts are irrelevant now, but chances are they are fundamental to the understanding of higher level material in the future. Furthermore, your attendings and senior residents will know what level of knowledge to expect from you. You may get asked to draw a wigger's diagram by a cardiologist, or a JVP wave by an internist, or to name the layers of the abdominal wall in gen surg.

You won't know what's truly irrelevant but I suggest you err on the side of too much vs. too little.

I heard advice from this forum (cannot remember from whom) that it can be helpful to do electives in CTU or other specialties in the summer after the first year to know how to shine in clerkship, which could be more beneficial than doing research or volunteering. I am wondering how helpful this will be. Also, is it common/possible to do electives before completing the preclerkship years? 

I heard advice from this forum (cannot remember from whom) that it can be helpful to do electives in CTU or other specialties in the summer after the first year to know how to shine in clerkship, which could be more beneficial than doing research or volunteering. I am wondering how helpful this will be. Also, is it common/possible to do electives before completing the preclerkship years? 

Yes, helpful. This would be generally after the second year though, in 4-year MD programs. It's a different type of benefit compared to research. Elective opportunites in the preclerkship phase will vary according to the school.

Honnestly it is up to you.

I'm in the CARMs right now and personally I'm super happy to have other things to write in my CV than just my rotations and the bit of research I've done.

I got involved because I liked it and not only to fill up my CV. 

I'm the kind of person that believes that there's other things to life than med school and it can be a great discussion subject during your interviews (or even in your personal letters).

So it's up to you. If you feel like you can still keep average grades and volunteering and you like it, do it! (And arent grades pass or fail almost everywhere in Canada except U of Montreal?). Pre clinical years don't really count for your application (except a few programs like IM, radiology, neurosurgery). Check the program descriptions if you're worried)

Archived