Premed 101 Forums

University Of British Columbia 2016 Applicants - Class Of 2020

bcftw123

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey there,

I'm applying for first time this year as OOP. 3rd/4th year student. CGPA ~ 83% so far.

Have you applied to UBC in the past?

Anyone from Toronto planning to apply to UBC this year?

Hey, haven't applied in the past but you should be good with that GPA I think, its usually between 75 and 80%.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

My first year prereq GPA is 3.85, but my last 30 credits gpa is only around 3.5 ~ 3.6

Should I still apply?

What are the chances of me getting an interview?

Also, do they select people for interviews based on your GPA? Or both GPA and personal profile?

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

My first year prereq GPA is 3.85, but my last 30 credits gpa is only around 3.5 ~ 3.6

Should I still apply?

Also, do they select people for interviews based on your GPA? Or both GPA and personal profile?

Thanks!

Definitely apply.

First year prereqs: 70%

Last 30 credits: 75%

What are my chances of getting an interview? I did have a hard time during first year due to certain circumstances but I improved greatly during term 1 of second year (79%) but unfortunately first year courses is what brought the average of my last 30 credits to 75%... do you guys think they care about improvement? If I explain in my application my circumstances during first year do you think they will care? Is admission to interviews only GPA-based or a mixture of GPA and application? Do they care if a course is taken during the summer or winter session? Because some courses like CHEM 233 has a higher class average in the summer than winter session.

I put off the personal profile for long enough... 

Finally done it!  :P

Hey everyone,

Should I still apply?

Thanks!

Interviews based only on GPA. Definitely apply, you have the GPA for an interview from what I've seen on previous years threads. I know last year there were people that got in with 3.5 pre req GPA and 3.8 last 30 credits, yours is just the opposite so you should be good.

What are my chances of getting an interview? I did have a hard time during first year due to certain circumstances but I improved greatly during term 1 of second year (79%) but unfortunately first year courses is what brought the average of my last 30 credits to 75%... do you guys think they care about improvement? If I explain in my application my circumstances during first year do you think they will care? Is admission to interviews only GPA-based or a mixture of GPA and application? Do they care if a course is taken during the summer or winter session? Because some courses like CHEM 233 has a higher class average in the summer than winter session.

As far as I know, the personal profile (where you would explain your situation) isn't even looked at for determining an interview, only acceptance, so you'd need the average grade at least to get an interview. Don't think they care about winter or summer, I'd say give it a shot, maybe go and re do some of the lower grade first year courses if you don't get in?

anyone know if you are only missing 1 prerequisite because of University issues if it would still be possible to get admitted? I would have close to double the required credits too by end of the term.

No, you have to have all the prereqs prior to application, unless the issue was say a transcript issue in which case you could potentially contact the office to discuss your case.

The class average this year had some pretty high GPAs.  Statistically the way I see it you seem to be on the fence for getting an interview, but do be aware that your GPA is working against you even with some stellar ECs once you pass the interview portion.  They are tweaking the program this year and it's entirely possible the application process will or has changed.

Hey,im a third year microbiology and immunology student planning on applying to pharmacy (deadline coming up on 31!!!). I have a 82% average but have chem 235 lab and a humanities class (GRSJ 102) this semester. Im really anxious about chem 235 because its a lab and because grsj is pretty foriegn to me as a arts course (didnt take many). What dk you think my chances are if i can manage to pull of an A in both? Im super anxious about all this and appreciate any feedback :)

No, you have to have all the prereqs prior to application, unless the issue was say a transcript issue in which case you could potentially contact the office to discuss your case.

The class average this year had some pretty high GPAs.  Statistically the way I see it you seem to be on the fence for getting an interview, but do be aware that your GPA is working against you even with some stellar ECs once you pass the interview portion.  They are tweaking the program this year and it's entirely possible the application process will or has changed.

Where did you hear this tweaking thing and what have you heard about it?

Personally, I hate that it's GPA to get an interview then completely disregarded after that. It makes no sense to have somebody with a 99% GPA and 75% GPA have equal odds of getting in after they get an interview (assuming equal ECs). GPA should be a factor after that too, it screws those of us that aren't too heavy on the ECs but have the high grades to make up for it.

Personally, I hate that it's GPA to get an interview then completely disregarded after that. It makes no sense to have somebody with a 99% GPA and 75% GPA have equal odds of getting in after they get an interview (assuming equal ECs). GPA should be a factor after that too, it screws those of us that aren't too heavy on the ECs but have the high grades to make up for it.

Even though GPA is important, it is important for them to admit well-rounded students. Yes grades are important, but so are life skills and people skills, and being a pharmacist is all about interacting with people.

Personally, I hate that it's GPA to get an interview then completely disregarded after that. It makes no sense to have somebody with a 99% GPA and 75% GPA have equal odds of getting in after they get an interview (assuming equal ECs). GPA should be a factor after that too, it screws those of us that aren't too heavy on the ECs but have the high grades to make up for it.

I understand where your coming from bcftw123 but the program is more competitive even with the extra prereqs relative to b.pharm because they want pharmacists to start doing much more now- pharmacists are expected to do some diagnosis too now( i work in a pharmacy and the college sent letters out detailing the new responsibilities and hinting it may require b.pharm holders to update some courses)

I just finished my chemical biology degree at TRU in kamloops. We have a 4.33 max GPA (for A+). I my graduating GPA was 3.88 out of 4.33. If converting this to UBC grades, would that be competitive? Should I only worry about the pre-req grades?

Also, I have not done ANY pharmacy related work or volunteering. Both my dad and sister are pharmacists, and of course any question I have, I can ask them. I tried job shadowing my dad once, but due to patient confidentiality, literally all I could do was sit there and watch. What do you guys do to get pharmacy exposure???

Do you think it would be okay if I said (on my personal profile) I have 2 pharmacists in my family and anything and everything I need to know about the profession has been answered, in order to make up for zero job shadowing?

I just finished my chemical biology degree at TRU in kamloops. We have a 4.33 max GPA (for A+). I my graduating GPA was 3.88 out of 4.33. If converting this to UBC grades, would that be competitive? Should I only worry about the pre-req grades?

Also, I have not done ANY pharmacy related work or volunteering. Both my dad and sister are pharmacists, and of course any question I have, I can ask them. I tried job shadowing my dad once, but due to patient confidentiality, literally all I could do was sit there and watch. What do you guys do to get pharmacy exposure???

Do you think it would be okay if I said (on my personal profile) I have 2 pharmacists in my family and anything and everything I need to know about the profession has been answered, in order to make up for zero job shadowing?

Pharmacy experince isnt a requirement anymore in PharmD so you dont need to worry about it i think. You could staisfy any extracurricular components of the application with literally any other experince (volunteering at a soup kitchen, setting up a school club, etc.). As for your grades can you tell us what % range that falls into? 3.88 is like 83.5% i think at UBC which should be good based on previous years

Pharmacy experince isnt a requirement anymore in PharmD so you dont need to worry about it i think. You could staisfy any extracurricular components of the application with literally any other experince (volunteering at a soup kitchen, setting up a school club, etc.). As for your grades can you tell us what % range that falls into? 3.88 is like 83.5% i think at UBC which should be good based on previous years

I think that sounds about right. A- is 80-84% (GPA of 3.67), A is 85-89% (GPA 4.0), A+ is 90-100% (GPA 4.33). So according to my school grading, 3.88 is somewhere in the middle of A- territory, so 83.5% sounds about right.

Do you know if they require us to send in anything physical? I know when applying to dentistry, you have to send in proof of citizenship, and proof of BC residency. Do we have to mail that for pharmacy too? Or just transcripts? I've been trying to contact the number they listed --- 604 822 3014, and no one has answered the 3 times I called. That number is for undergraduate admissions. I'm surprised they don't have a direct line for pharmacy admissions.

I think that sounds about right. A- is 80-84% (GPA of 3.67), A is 85-89% (GPA 4.0), A+ is 90-100% (GPA 4.33). So according to my school grading, 3.88 is somewhere in the middle of A- territory, so 83.5% sounds about right.

Do you know if they require us to send in anything physical? I know when applying to dentistry, you have to send in proof of citizenship, and proof of BC residency. Do we have to mail that for pharmacy too? Or just transcripts? I've been trying to contact the number they listed --- 604 822 3014, and no one has answered the 3 times I called. That number is for undergraduate admissions. I'm surprised they don't have a direct line for pharmacy admissions.

I know i dont know why noyone ever seems to answer.ive called them twice so far. Since i am a UBC student i just apply through my student login so we dont send anything but they may need you to send them yoir transcript(but thats it i think).

Hey everyone,

For anyone who is outside of British Columbia, how do you plan on traveling to the campus if you get interviews?

I am from Toronto and it would be awesome to meet anyone who is also applying and possibly traveling together!

You can PM me as well.

Archived