Premed 101 Forums

We Are Some First Year Year Ubc Medicine Students - Ask Us Anything!*

Would you recommend living on campus at UBC better or living off campus near VGH? If I live at UBC, housing is a bit more expensive, but I save time; if I live at VGH, housing is a bit cheaper, but then it may take longer to get home?

I should add, I also lived in an apartment on the endowment lands next to UBC for several years before I got my current place. It was definitely convenient for school, and also a very nice area to live in, but for me it just felt a little bit isolated -- I found it more difficult in the evenings and on weekends to find the energy to get off campus and go and do things that weren't related to school. So I think it really depends on your preferences and on the type of social life you want to have as well.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wondering if anyone's SSC has been updated? Mine doesn't say anything about the program and stuff and it says I am not eligible for registration! 

Your registration status and registration date will be updated some time in June and you will be eligible to register in early July. There are enough seats for everyone to register in all of the required med courses so don't worry about it.

You will get an email from UBC sometime in June with information about how and when to register for courses on the SSC, too.

Would you recommend living on campus at UBC better or living off campus near VGH? If I live at UBC, housing is a bit more expensive, but I save time; if I live at VGH, housing is a bit cheaper, but then it may take longer to get home?

This is a difficult decision, but it comes down to convenience and the amount of time that you want to spend commuting to and from campus. Most of your 1st year classes will be at UBC so living on campus will save you a lot of time in terms of your commute. However, in 2nd year most of our classes are at VGH so if you are living at UBC you will either have to commute to VGH for 2nd year or move closer to VGH if you want a shorter commute if you are in VFMP.

Vgh. Easy via 99 bline and then you save yourself the extra move for 2nd year.

On 2017-05-28 at 1:47 PM, Reastat said:

I heard that UBC is going to require CASPer in the next cycle?  UBC nursing requires CASPer now.

I haven't heard anything about UBC Medicine requiring the CASPer for the 2017/2018 cycle, but admissions requirements could change in future years.

On 5/28/2017 at 10:03 PM, OwnerOfTheTARDIS said:

Doubt it - I believe that changes have to be announced by a certain date and it seems pretty late to make such a big change like introducing CASPer. 

But of course the adcom gods could just surprise everyone  :rolleyes:

UofA required CASPer mid cycle last year and made all their interviewees do it on interview day!  

On 2017-05-31 at 7:02 PM, awalkingshadow said:

This year (2017), we had OSCEs (exam for history taking and physicals) on April 8, multiple choice exam on April 18, lab exam (Anatomy, Histology, Neuroanatomy/Radiology) on April 19.

Just as an addition to this post, we had our FLEX activities which were scholarly projects in medicine relating to clinical or biomedical research projects, community outreach projects, healthcare quality improvement projects, literature reviews and global health projects to name a few for a 6 week block after exams were over on April 19th this year. So while exams are over in April we were still engaged in work on projects of various sorts until the end of May. So for the purposes of the official start of summer break and planning summer travel and holidays we were off at the end of May this year.

How are you placed for family practice sessions? For example, I've heard that some people have to go to Langley for family practice, while others get to do family practice a little closer to UBC? Is it a random process? And do you go to the same location for family practice for the entire term? year? 

6 hours ago, doctorUBC said:

How are you placed for family practice sessions? For example, I've heard that some people have to go to Langley for family practice, while others get to do family practice a little closer to UBC? Is it a random process? And do you go to the same location for family practice for the entire term? year? 

As far as us students know, it's random. They tell us explicitly you are not allowed to switch, barring an extremely good reason (inconvenience doesn't count as a reason).

Family practice placements change each term, and if you're unlucky, may even change within a term.

5 hours ago, UBC_GRAD said:

Also, when do we here from CPSBC regarding the CPSBC ID and registration? 

Thanks in advance :)

I heard back from CPSBC on Jun 14.

21 hours ago, awalkingshadow said:

As far as us students know, it's random. They tell us explicitly you are not allowed to switch, barring an extremely good reason (inconvenience doesn't count as a reason).

Family practice placements change each term, and if you're unlucky, may even change within a term.

I heard back from CPSBC on Jun 14.

Just wondering if those family practice sessions are scheduled for every week or are there certain number of sessions in each term? Thanks.

Hi there!

I was wondering how many hours of ECs are "doable" in first year? I was and still am very much active in a lot of my ECs as I'm sure a lot of you also are and I would hate to give them up just because I am starting med school. Does any upper years have recommendations on how they were able to juggle academics as well as out of school activities? Which days of the week are generally more free other than the Tuesday/Thursday morning times?

Also I am aware that for carms they also look at your ECs?!!!? (it never ends!) and wanted to ask what activities are important to them when they look through applicants for residency?

Many thanks in advance!

9 hours ago, faithoverfear said:

Hi there!

I was wondering how many hours of ECs are "doable" in first year? I was and still am very much active in a lot of my ECs as I'm sure a lot of you also are and I would hate to give them up just because I am starting med school. Does any upper years have recommendations on how they were able to juggle academics as well as out of school activities? Which days of the week are generally more free other than the Tuesday/Thursday morning times?

Also I am aware that for carms they also look at your ECs?!!!? (it never ends!) and wanted to ask what activities are important to them when they look through applicants for residency?

Many thanks in advance!

Do ECs if you want or dont. They dont nearly as matter as much for CaRMs as people think. Just like how many people get into med school without ever being in any clubs or execs of anything, as do many med students for carms.  Research can matter for some specialities or not even within different centres. Its a crap shoot.

Elective performance and LORs seem to carry far more weight, and the interview than fluff ECs.  Do something, but dont go overboard if you dont want to.

Archived