Premed 101 Forums

Official Psychiatry Carms Discussion Thread

Hey OP, I assume that UofT psychiatry sends out several waves? It happened to be the case with UofOttawa psych.

Best of luck!

I am a CMG, and I also did not receive an interview despite having done an elective there. I find it hard to believe they will interview ALL of the CMG applicants. Perhaps there were too many qualified applicants this year :(  Oh well, what can we do.

Does anyone know what McGill's policy on French is for psychiatry this year?   I have heard rumours but nothing concrete

My understanding is the it definitely helps but is not necessary to match. Also, if you do match to mcgill with limited French skills, you will expected to take courses.

Also what rumours have you heard? 

When I interviewed at McGill last year, they were HEAVILY trying to sell the program to me even though I speak zero French, like "we have tons of residents who don't know any French and it's totally fine" selling it.

I didn't totally buy that, and I'd be really cautious about buying into that idea.

But they seemed very unconcerned with my inability to speak French.

I accepted my U of T invite over the break, and didn't realize I hadn't gotten a confirmation until I saw that someone here had.  So I emailed the coordinator again and got a quick reply confirming my interview that same day.  If I were you, would maybe just email again to make sure, since I think the deadline to reply was the 6th.  I did mention in my email the date that I had originally confirmed, so that she could find proof that I had in fact responded before the deadline.  

I accepted my U of T invite over the break, and didn't realize I hadn't gotten a confirmation until I saw that someone here had.  So I emailed the coordinator again and got a quick reply confirming my interview that same day.  If I were you, would maybe just email again to make sure, since I think the deadline to reply was the 6th.  I did mention in my email the date that I had originally confirmed, so that she could find proof that I had in fact responded before the deadline.  

Thanks for the reply! I wonder if they are not replying to the RSVP email we sent since it isn't really necessary on their part/they included all the interview details on the original email.

Are all the psychiatry interviews for IMG's finished?

Do all programs not respond with either an invitation or rejection?

I am a Cdn student but don't think all programs respond with a rejection email. I have not heard back anything from a few schools (Mac, calgary). Maybe we can all post where we have got rejections from to see if there;s a chance that we are on waitlist?

I've received a rejection from Ottawa.

What do people thinking about McGill doing one interview and french and one in english? A bit concerning to me as I don't really speak french at an adequate level to express myself in an interview setting. 

Having some sort of proficiency in French will certainly benefit you if you are applying to McGill. Patients in Montreal hospitals aren't always segregated by language, lots (lots.) of francophones go to the McGill MUHC hospitals, and have a right get their service in French. I don't know how legal it is for them to force interviews in two languages on you, but I'm certain they'll give some extra points to candidates that can prove some fluency in both languages.

• 1 year later...

Hello all,

I know I'm reviving an old thread, but I was wondering if some of you who applied to psych (either last cycle or this cycle) and successfully matched (esp. to more competitive programs) could share your experiences with the application process (how did you make yourself competitive for psych? Did you do relevant research, electives, etc.)? I'm particularly interested in those who interviewed and matched at McGill! I'm bilingual, so I'm wondering if you guys got the feel that bilingual applicants are favoured! (seems like it from their info page and interview format) Feel free to message me as well! 

Thanks in advance 

Archived