Premed 101 Forums

Queens Interview Invites/regrets 2016

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TIME STAMP: Jan. 29th, 3:43 pm

Result: Invite
wGPA: 3.84 (3.54 cGPA)
MCAT: 508 (128 CP/125 CARS/127 BS/128 PS)
ECs: I don't think they're too extraordinary - I really just focused on doing things that I am passionate about, so this led to a few long term commitments. Quite a bit of research (4 abstracts and a 1st author manuscript in prep.), exec in a few groups, volunteer tutoring and mentorship through various programs, 7 yrs of hospital volunteering, etc.  
Year: 4th year UG 

I know this is late but I thought I'd add to the list so that people can get a better idea of the gpa/new mcat cutoffs :) Good luck to everyone! I'm really looking forward meeting some of you during the interview weekend :)

• 2 weeks later...

ECs: I don't think they're too extraordinary - I really just focused on doing things that I am passionate about, so this led to a few long term commitments. Quite a bit of research (4 abstracts and a 1st author manuscript in prep.), exec in a few groups, volunteer tutoring and mentorship through various programs, 7 yrs of hospital volunteering, etc.  

I know this is late but I thought I'd add to the list so that people can get a better idea of the gpa/new mcat cutoffs :) Good luck to everyone! I'm really looking forward meeting some of you during the interview weekend :)

Wow good on you! best of luck 

TIME STAMP: Jan. 29th, 7:25 pm

Result: Regrets
wGPA: 3.99 
MCAT: 36 (13/10/13)
ECs: Pretty good overall, PM for details if interested
Year: 3rd year UG 

Forgot to post in this forum when invites came out. Best of luck to the people who got interviews!

• 2 weeks later...

TIME STAMP: January 29th 

Result: Invite 
wGPA: 3.98
MCAT: 12/10/13
ECs: varsity swimmer, tutoring, athlete mentoring, research assistant, undergrad and grad research scholarships, a few published abstracts & 2 papers, hospital/sport volunteering 
Year:
1st year MSc 

I know this is super late, but I just came across this thread so I thought I would add my stats in case it may help people get a better idea of the cut-offs and such :) 

TIME STAMP: January 29th 

Result: Invite 

wGPA: 3.98

MCAT: 12/10/13

ECs: varsity swimmer, tutoring, athlete mentoring, research assistant, undergrad and grad research scholarships, a few published abstracts & 2 papers, hospital/sport volunteering 

Year: 1st year MSc 

I know this is super late, but I just came across this thread so I thought I would add my stats in case it may help people get a better idea of the cut-offs and such :)

Are you IP or OOP? 

• 4 weeks later...

For 

In just wondering, did you say that you had a 1st author in prep or was it published by this time? Thanks

so how did u put that on your 48 activities, sorry for asking but your stats are pretty amazing for getting an interview giving us hope here 

No problem, I'm glad to clear anything up that I can! I actually ended up presenting the abstract at an international conference, so in that entry (conference presentation) I mentioned that the manuscript for that project was in prep. 

No problem, I'm glad to clear anything up that I can! I actually ended up presenting the abstract at an international conference, so in that entry (conference presentation) I mentioned that the manuscript for that project was in prep. 

oh wow, so u didnt list it as a seperate part of the 48 entries in publications, because Im sure that def helped your application!

oh wow, so u didnt list it as a seperate part of the 48 entries in publications, because Im sure that def helped your application!

Yeah I didn't add it separately - I thought it might be overly redundant to have multiple entries for one project. That way I had more room to add other activities that were meaningful to me :) Of course, if it were already published at the time then I might have made it a separate entry.... This forum has really good advice as to how to format ABS entries, so if you look through it when you apply (if you haven't already applied?) it might be useful :) 

• 4 weeks later...

Better late than never

Time Stamp: Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 4:07 PM

Result: Reject

cGPA: 3.83

2YrGPA: 3.825 (second year was my weakest)

MCAT: 130, 129, 130, 130

Reference letters: Felt alright but relatively standard, no wow factor really.

Year: Was finishing fourth year

ECs: Fairly average to decent. A bit of research, good hospital volunteering, some leadership in a recreation club, lifeguarding.. 

I have been accepted to Western though, so all is good.

• 7 months later...

Hey guys, I know this is last years forum but I just found out I missed the UBC interview cutoff by 0.3 points. I'm wondering if anyone knows how Western/Queens actually look at OOP applicants? I'll list my stats here, can you guys give me some feedback on my chances at Western/Queens so I can start planning other options. 

BC resident

Major: Human Physiology and Microbiology 

Latest 2 years: 3.935-3.94?

MCAT PS/VR/BS: 10/11/13 (34)

EC's: 1 neuroscience paper, 3 years wetlab research in ASD's, clinical research in mental health and addiction (BCMHA/VGH) and ortho (BC Children's), VGH ER, Full time animal sanctuary worker in South Africa for 3 months, Paeds hospital in India, volunteering for a non-profit that provides medical care to rural Indian villages. Competitive horseback riding, worked for kaplan as MCAT instructor, worked as a server, receptionist/assistant at dental office, 3 years in therapeutic riding, working on another paper in ASD, lots of shadowing, etc. 

My first 2 years at uni were terrible because of some home/health issues so my UBC average was only an 86.93. Queen's/Western are my only shots and I'm not sure if they'll even look at me being OOP :/ Thanks so much in advance!!

Hey guys, I know this is last years forum but I just found out I missed the UBC interview cutoff by 0.3 points. I'm wondering if anyone knows how Western/Queens actually look at OOP applicants? I'll list my stats here, can you guys give me some feedback on my chances at Western/Queens so I can start planning other options. 

BC resident

EC's: 1 neuroscience paper, 3 years wetlab research in ASD's, clinical research in mental health and addiction (BCMHA/VGH) and ortho (BC Children's), VGH ER, Full time animal sanctuary worker in South Africa for 3 months, Paeds hospital in India, volunteering for a non-profit that provides medical care to rural Indian villages. Competitive horseback riding, worked for kaplan as MCAT instructor, worked as a server, receptionist/assistant at dental office, 3 years in therapeutic riding, working on another paper in ASD, lots of shadowing, etc. 

My first 2 years at uni were terrible because of some home/health issues so my UBC average was only an 86.93. Queen's/Western are my only shots and I'm not sure if they'll even look at me being OOP :/ Thanks so much in advance!!

In general, Ontario has no discrimnation for OOP applicants. McMaster has something about giving more interview spots to IP students, but Queen's and Western are a free-for-all as far as I know

In general, Ontario has no discrimnation for OOP applicants. McMaster has something about giving more interview spots to IP students, but Queen's and Western are a free-for-all as far as I know

Yes Queens has no provincial preference! You will very likely meet the GPA and MCAT cutoff. The rest depends on how they evaluate your ABS and LORs!

BC resident

Dont think anyone on these forums can give you an accurate answer as to whether or not you will interview at Queen's. Definitely worth the apply as you are above cutoffs. But honestly, you can have a 45/528 mcat and 4.0 and still get rejected from Queen's. It is the biggest blackbox school there is.

One thing Queen's really likes to see IMO is an MSc for sure seems to put you at an advantage, especially having lower than average stats. But really no one knows with Queen's. Keep your head up and hope for the best. With your marks and MCAT you are bound to get an interview somewhere, if not this year then the next. So just don't lose hope and keep trying.

• Leon unpinned this topic

Archived