Premed 101 Forums

Queens Interview Invites/regrets 2016

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the record, all of my letters were on-point- consisting of solid references from influential physician leaders that I have worked with.

My ECs may not have fit the traditional "Queens" applicant profile I also think my GPA may have been on the low side.

Yeah - the number of ECs may have played a role - a little different in the workforce...  It looks like people with significantly lower GPAs got interviews, supposedly Queen's uses gpa and mcat "cutoffs", after which point ECs, etc.. are evaluated.  

TIME STAMP: Called them

Result: Reject

wGPA: 3.99

MCAT: 525 total

ECs: Thought they were average at least

Current Year: 3rd year UG

Kind of bummed out because Queen's process is so obscure. I've known people with very similar ECs but much lower stats get interviews so this is confusing. Better luck next time and good luck to everyone who got an invite!

TIME STAMP: 7:07pm 29 Jan 16

Result: Reject
wGPA: 3.96 ish (best 2 years)
MCAT: 518
ECs: Non-traditional applicant with 10 years of post-undergrad experience. Masters, military, lab research, triathlete, coach, personal trainer, entrepreneur, part-time college professor, father of 2. I thought this was the strongest part of my application to be honest.
Year: Mature, Masters with 7+ years of work experience.

Still trying to figure this one out. I thought for sure that due to the e-mail errors on Friday this was a mistake, but it's Monday so I'm pretty sure it's official.

Time stamp: 29/01/2016 3:35PM

Invite: Invite

Undergraduate cGPA: 3.7 (not sure about weighted)

MCAT: BS12/PS10/VR13 

ECs: Lots of research/publications, teaching, hospital employment, physician shadowing, lots of volunteering with clinicians/community health groups/science outreach, athletics.

Year: Finished PhD last year, currently postdoctoral fellow

Time stamp: 29/01/2016 3:35PM

Invite: Invite

Undergraduate cGPA: 3.7 (not sure about weighted)

MCAT: BS12/PS10/VR13 

ECs: Lots of research/publications, teaching, hospital employment, physician shadowing, lots of volunteering with clinicians/community health groups/science outreach, athletics.

Year: Finished PhD last year, currently postdoctoral fellow

love your username; congrats :)

ECs: Non-traditional applicant with 10 years of post-undergrad experience. Masters, military, lab research, triathlete, coach, personal trainer, entrepreneur, part-time college professor, father of 2. I thought this was the strongest part of my application to be honest.

Still trying to figure this one out. I thought for sure that due to the e-mail errors on Friday this was a mistake, but it's Monday so I'm pretty sure it's official.

Seriously felt the same way... 

TIME STAMP: finally got through on the phone!

wGPA: 3.97 ish (best 2 years)

MCAT: 31 (9 PS...)

ECs: a few decent longstanding volunteer commitments, full time bush work in summers, varsity sports, worked in a clinic, awards and other things here and there

Was expecting this due to low MCAT and borderline ECs...nice that the wait is over!

TIME STAMP: Phone call

wGPA: 3.96 ish?
MCAT: 522 (132/131/130/129)
ECs: A bit of everything. Long-term commitments, team sports, various employment positions, research, clinical experience.
Year: 4th Year UG 

I don't mind the rejection as much as not know what was lacking in my application so I know what I could work on. It would be helpful if we got to know if it was our EC/letter or some other factor (verifier?) that led to their decision. Queen's is truly is a black box.  :huh:

Anyway, good luck to my friends who are interviewing!  :D

cGPA: 3.85
wGPA: 3.90
MCAT: 520 (131/130/130/129)
ECs: Scattered. Honours research, conferences, sports, work experience, etc
Year: 1.5 years after undergrad

I feel okay about it - I really had no idea what to expect, so I'm not too disappointed

TIME STAMP: 12:14PM EST February 1 (I emailed because I can't call due to long distance)

Result: Invite

2yGPA: 3.95

MCAT: 33 (12/10/11)
ECs: average to above average? (2 research positions w/ 1 pub, club president, orientation leader, language instructor abroad (work and volunteer), students' council roles, lots of music related things, etc)
Year: graduated with BSc in June

wGPA: 3.96 ish?

MCAT: 522 (132/131/130/129)

TIME STAMP: Phone Call

Result: Rejected

cGPA: 3.94

2yGPA: 3.97

MCAT: 520 (132/129/131/128)

cGPA: 3.87

wGPA: 3.96

MCAT: 516 (130/130/128/128)

Did they call you?

Or did you reach out? Around what time was this? "time stamp." hehe.

Seriously felt the same way... 

You mean it was a let down/a bit shocking, because your MCATs were high + ECs were good?

Sorry I'm not trying to make you micro-analyze why it didn't work out - just trying to see if what you two mean is that Queen's policies are a bit muddy/non-transparent to those of us not on their admissions team. 

TIME STAMP: 3:50PM EST Jan 29 (Invite). 4:01PM EST Jan 29 (Regrets).

I got a third email confirming invite and an apology later the same day a couple of hours later. 

Result: Invite

2yGPA: 3.99

MCAT: 34 (10/12/12)
ECs: Research, TA, volunteering, 2 abstracts, art commissions, scholarships, retail work (long term employment), 2 years co-op in hospitals.
Year: Currently a masters student.

TIME STAMP: Not sure, but confirmed today at 11:00 AM

Result: Regret

2yGPA: 3.98

MCAT: 516 (129/128/131/128)
ECs: See U of T post
Year: 4th year UG (In province)

After the email situation, was expecting a regret so not too disappointed with the result.  Good luck to all who received an invite, do us regretees proud! :)

TIME STAMP: I called today February 2nd, 2016 and apparently did not receive the email sent on January 29, 2016

Result: Invite!  I can't believe this!! If I hadn't browsed these forums I wouldn't have called and then missed this!
wGPA: 3.94
MCAT: 12/10/11 (PS/VR/BS)
ECs:  
Lots of hours shadowing surgeons, undergrad and graduate research grants, a few long term weekly volunteer activities
Year: 2nd year Masters

I can't believe this! In both a good and bad way! Thanks to this forum I called to find an Invite had been missed. 

TIME STAMP: 2:48pm Feb. 2 (originally sent on Jan. 29, but didn't receive)

Result: Invite
wGPA: 3.83 (OMSAS)

cGPA: 3.89
MCAT: 35 - 11/11/13 (PS/VR/BS)
ECs: Pretty mediocre other than lots of research and quite a few scholarships/awards. Only one 1st author paper. A few student council stints during grad school. One club and one volunteer position in undergrad. 
Year: 5th year PhD

They must have given a lot of emphasis to the research because other than that, my application was average at best!

TIME STAMP: Feb 2

Result: Invite
wGPA: 3.81

cGPA: 3.7
MCAT: 130/130/126/127
ECs. Some volunteering, engineering projects during university, minimal employment, sports at an American university
Year: Finished UG

I think Queens is trying to kill me because I called yesterday they told me regrets, got the regrets email soon after and then today received an invitation email. Definitely thought this was a mistake. But I seem to have been able to pick an interview date. First invite! Nearly had a heart attack

• Leon unpinned this topic

Archived