Premed 101 Forums

Hello Everyone,

I hope you guys are doing well. I have a question about Schulich Scholarships and funding for medical school at Western. I saw on the admissions website that schulich offers $100,000 scholarships for entering students: 

• Payable $25,000 per academic year continuing for a period of four years, provided that recipients progress satisfactorily and continue to demonstrate financial need each year. Recipients will receive renewal information each spring/summer.
  • Number of scholarships vary each year.

So my question has to do with what are the pre-reqs for obtaining this scholarship. I know that financial need is something they look at, but are their other factors such as gpa, extra-curriculars etc? And for those who have obtained this scholarship, I guess your tuition is basically covered, right? :) 

I would be grateful for more information from students regarding this scholarship! Thank you

• 1 month later...

The website and email do say "based on academic achievement and demonstrated financial need" but I think the general consensus is that it's mainly financial need.

And in terms of covering tuition, the amount almost covers it. I think you're left with around 1000 or so? Some people I knew got their scholarship approved before tuition was due so they didn't have to make a payment. Some got the scholarship approved a few weeks into school so they still had to pay tuition somehow on their own and get refunded after.

The website and email do say "based on academic achievement and demonstrated financial need" but I think the general consensus is that it's mainly financial need.

And in terms of covering tuition, the amount almost covers it. I think you're left with around 1000 or so? Some people I knew got their scholarship approved before tuition was due so they didn't have to make a payment. Some got the scholarship approved a few weeks into school so they still had to pay tuition somehow on their own and get refunded after.

I'm sure if you were in such desperate financial need you could reach out to the LEW or Financial Aid office about working something out. 

I can't imagine it happens too often that someone has access to no loans / money at all. I guess maybe if you've got dependants and/or a ton of debt from previous education / bad investments? Seems really rare. I think people worry about finances as they relate to med school more than they should. :P 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived