Premed 101 Forums

Mcmaster Interview Discussion 2016

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks for creating the thread.

I noticed that in 2015 mcmaster admitted 205 of the 552 people who got interviews. meaning that if you have an interview, the probability of you being accepted is about 37%. still daunting, but not hopeless.

The final class is 205, but a number of people (my estimate is about 60) refuse Mac's offer usually because they got into a school they preferred, so the chances are actually much closer to 50% when you account for offers off the waitlist.

May as well drop this in here.

Last year, I had to be very mindful of costs during my interview travel and I know this is likely the case for other applicants. I remain immensely grateful to the member of the class of 2017 who let me stay at his place the night before my interview and I promised myself if I got in I'd pay it forward. So, if you're in need of a place to stay ahead of your interview pop me a PM. As long as you don't mind pets (dog, cats, and birds,) kids, and their associated noise, I've got an office/guest room and that's available. We'll feed you supper and give you a ride to your interview. :) Lots of other PM101ers are able to vouch for me as an actual med student and not an axe murderer in waiting.

Does anyone have an idea of the approximate number of people on the interview waitlist, whether there is one waitlist or several depending on category of applicant (IP/OOP), and to what extent it moves yearly? Pretty specific questions, I know. :)

In one of the previous years discussion thread it was mentioned that there were either 14 or 41 people on waitlist. The poster could not remember which. That is all I know at least, maybe someone else here has a better idea or information.

Last year, I had to be very mindful of costs during my interview travel and I know this is likely the case for other applicants. I remain immensely grateful to the member of the class of 2017 who let me stay at his place the night before my interview and I promised myself if I got in I'd pay it forward. So, if you're in need of a place to stay ahead of your interview pop me a PM. As long as you don't mind pets (dog, cats, and birds,) kids, and their associated noise, I've got an office/guest room and that's available. We'll feed you supper and give you a ride to your interview. :) Lots of other PM101ers are able to vouch for me as an actual med student and not an axe murderer in waiting.

I live DT near the GO station and a couple of hotels - if people would like a ride to campus on the day of the interview, I would be happy to offer one!

Does McMaster inform you if they have received your confirmation that you will be attending the interview? Thanks all in advance. 

I submitted my form by email and received a short email response soon afterward. I don't know what they do for mailed responses. 

I submitted my form by email and received a short email response soon afterward. I don't know what they do for mailed responses. 

For some reason, I decided to fax it... I really dislike writing emails haha. I mean they do contact you if they haven't received anything right?

can confirm birdy won't kill you in your sleep

For some reason, I decided to fax it... I really dislike writing emails haha. I mean they do contact you if they haven't received anything right?

I don't know that they would necessarily contact you if they haven't. If you are dreadfully nervous about it, you could call the admissions office since you haven't received confirmation. 

can confirm birdy won't kill you in your sleep

^See? Not a murderer. There is however no guarantee you won't be sent on your way with a bunch of fresh cookies. 

If you faxed it, it should have been received pretty quick, but maybe there is a backlog because there are so many responses. I handed mine in person and got a response a few hours later. Wait a few days and then maybe you could call and ask, or send it again. 

Does McMaster inform you if they have received your confirmation that you will be attending the interview? Thanks all in advance. 

I sent mine via email and received an automated response saying the recipient is on vacation until January 26th, and she will respond after then to confirm it was received. Therefore I wouldn't worry if you haven't received a response to your fax just yet! 

I'm a second year at Mac.  I have a couch that's available for interviewees!  First come first serve. :)

I'm staying at a place close to campus / MDCL for the interview.

Where's a good place to grab dinner the night before?

Any places good for grabbing breakfast on the day of?

Close to campus your best bet is to head to Westdale, which is just East of the university. There are a number of restaurants there, with most students having bean bar as their favourite! As for breakfast, you can head just across the street from MDCL and the hospital to the Williams, or if you're looking for eggs and toast sort of deal, Pancake House is about a 5 minute walk down Main Street from the edge of campus! Message me directly if you need more help ! :)

Locke Street has great options and is close to campus - Bread Bar, NaRoma Pizza Bar, and Chuck's Burger are all pretty great, especially for a post-interview celebratory meal.  

Westdale is pretty good too! - Bean Bar and Delirious Burger Co. are my favourite. My Dog Joe has the yummiest savoury muffins and some other breakfast stuff too. 

There's also James St. N near Jackson Square Mall. They have this incredible soup place called The Burnt Tongue. Pho Dau Bo (sp?) and August 8 are good for Asian food. Mulberry St. Cafe has great tea and a cool vibe - good for relaxing after the interview.

They are some good options on campus too: Bridges has healthy vegetarian options and a nice, intimate atmosphere. There's a cafe in the Engineering building that has good breakfast sandwiches and smoothies. The Student Centre has a cafe with lots of options, including great breakfast meal deals. 

Basically there are tons of great food options at Hamilton and Mac!

Ah I miss my old home. 

Does the date you interview on reflect the strength of your application? (Ie. Those who interview last weren't as good as those who interview first?)

How many people interview in one day?

What are the McMaster interview dates?

No, the dates are chosen based at random with preference given to applicants who cannot interview a specific day. Back in December they sent out an e-mail to applicants to disclose whether they could not make any of the 3 interview dates so they could be sure not to schedule you on one of those days if you were chosen.

There was 552 students chosen for interview this cycle and three dates for interview so I would guess they split it evenly between the three days but I'm not quite sure if anyone knows for sure exactly how they split up the group.

The dates chosen for this year was April 3, 9 & 10 but they seem to change from year to year. 

• Leon unpinned this topic

Archived