Premed 101 Forums

Mcmaster Interview Discussion 2016

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm preparing for my MMIs, and I would like to know a bit more about what happens at the break stations.  

Is there water? Coffee? Snacks?  

Is there a chance to use the bathrooms?

Is there someone watching over you inside the break rooms? Do they try to make small talk with you, or do they just sit there?

Thanks a lot!  

Hi, I'm preparing for my MMIs, and I would like to know a bit more about what happens at the break stations.  

Is there water? Coffee? Snacks?  

Is there a chance to use the bathrooms?

Is there someone watching over you inside the break rooms? Do they try to make small talk with you, or do they just sit there?

Thanks a lot!  

There will be water available, and you can definitely use the washroom if you need to. You'll have a student host sitting with you at the break stations - but if you don't want to talk we're totally fine with that. If you do want to chat and keep your mind off the interview, we'll happily oblige. You're not being evaluated in any way at the break stations, so we're just there to make sure you're comfortable and not sitting alone being stressed. 

If we attend the 1:20pm tour on our interview day, what time will it end at? 

The tours are variable in length based on who your tour guide is, but they're usually 30 min to an hour depending on how many questions people ask. If you need to leave the tour partway through that's totally fine, no one will be upset or judge you. ;)

Thanks for answering all these questions!

I also would like to ask - do we get to write down notes on paper during the 2 minutes before entering the room?  Also, is the question also inside the room? 

I haven't actually been to an MMI but friends at Mac have told me that the prompt is on the desk in the room, but you cannot take notes outside or inside. 

Does anyone know how early we should be arriving? If my time is scheduled for 11:30 do they want us checking in at 11:30 or should we be there 30 mins+ before to check-in?

You can plan to arrive at 11:30 or a bit early if it makes you feel better - the orientation session doesn't actually start until 12, but we'll be there to greet you and get students into groups starting at shortly after 11. The time before the orientation session is spent with the people in your track and your student hosts - we'll have refreshments and there's time for some informal Q&A with your hosts.

Basically, arriving at 11:30 gives you plenty of time to check in and put your stuff in the secure storage area, but if you're like me and compulsively early, we'll be ready for you a few minutes early. :) 

Does anyone know about the Around the Bay marathon tomorrow (Apr 3) and how that might affect commute to the interview location? Thanks in advance : )

I would be more concerned about the weather affecting the commute. The map is showing that it will be run far enough away from downtown that it shouldn't be a big issue. If you're coming from the 403 you'll miss it completely. 

It was amazing to meet everyone today! You are all such wonderful people, and I hoped you enjoyed today despite the stress! Hopefully I'll see all of you come August! Until then, chillax. For those of you still to interview, we look forward to seeing you soon!

I actually had a really pleasant experience with the Mac MMI, it was almost fun. Nice meeting everyone and good luck to all come May 10th! 

While I wouldn't say it was "almost" fun, it was a pleasant experience and good luck to all in May

• Leon unpinned this topic

Archived