Premed 101 Forums

Uoft Interview Invites/regrets 2016

Time stamp: 2:04 pm (March 11th 2016)

Regrets
wGPA: 3.96
MCAT: 514 (127/127/129/131)
ECs: Average with emphasis on research. 
Essays: Rushed and could have been a lot better. 
Year: 4th year undergrad 

Took forever for them to reply but I am glad it's finally over. Good luck to all the successful applicants! 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TIME STAMP: 2:04 PM
Interview Date: N/A

Result: Reject
wGPA: 4.00
MCAT: Above cutoffs
ECs: Very diverse, many long-term commitments
Essays: Spent a couple months on them and had them reviewed by an English professor and a couple MD students
Year: 3rd year undergrad
Geography : IP

Congrats to everyone that had an interview!  :D

Time Stamp: April 11th, 2:05 PM (funny thing - in the email they dated it April 10th. Silly uoft)

Result: Regrets
wGPA: 3.97
MCAT: 35 (14/12/9)
ECs: lots of research (4 summers), hospital volunteering, exec on a few school clubs, and the rest of the classic premed stuff...
Essays: Felt good about them. Apparently could have been better.
Year: 4th year undergrad

Obviously not thrilled, but lovely to just know already! Good luck to everyone who got an interview!

Time Stamp: March 11, 2:03pm

wGPA: 3.81
MCAT: 520 (128 in Bio PhysChem; 132 in CARS and Soc)
ECs: lots of theatre, refugee organization, literacy tutoring, farming, variety
Essays: not sure -- haven't been able to muster the courage to re-read them after submitting
Year: graduated uni 2012

This was only a surprise because I've had such good luck with invites from the other schools so far. Sorry to miss out on a chance at the unique aspects of U of T's program, but keeping in perspective that three out of four invites ain't bad! If this is how emotional interview emails are, I'm imagining how we'll all be feeling in May ... aaaah!

TIME STAMP: 2:04 PM March 11

Interview: No
wGPA: 3.89
MCAT: Above cutoffs
ECs: various volunteering, some research but no pubs yet, some employment. Feel free to message me for detail 
Essays: I felt they were alright
Year: Graduated UG

TIME STAMP: March 16, 2016

Interview Date: April 10
Result: INVITE
wGPA: 3.7 unsure how weighted
MCAT: met cutoffs
ECs: Hospital volunteering, first author publication, work in mental health, sports.
Essays: A little scattered, took some unorthodox positions
Year: Graduated Master's

TIME STAMP: March 18, 2016

wGPA: 3.94

ECs: Very diverse and a lot of long-commitment ones (shadowed a cardiologist, lots of volunteering, many executive roles on clubs, clinical trials research, several employment opportunities, teaching assistant, premed club president, etc.).

Essays: Felt confident with them, had them reviewed by an English major, current UofT MD student, and several friends.

Year: Current Master's student.

Geography: IP

TIME STAMP: 3:55pm March 24, 2016 

Result: Invite

wGPA: 3.97

MCAT: 13/10/14

ECs: Work in a research lab (1 semester), cancer centre within a hospital (2 summers), orientation week leader and student society executive, co-authorship on one paper published, volunteering at a hospital for 3 years, shadowing a family doctor

Essays: I put a lot of effort into them. The most amount of time in my application was spent on these. Reviewed several times by many people. Hit all the CanMEDS competencies that I could.

Year: 4th year undergraduate

Feeling great! Good to finally have an overall idea of my interview schedule.

TIME STAMP: March 24th, 3:56pm

Result: Invite

wGPA: 4.0

MCAT: 14, 9, 14

ECs: A lot of mentorship, very involved with music, worked doing clinical research at a hospital (no publications!), lots of volunteering and leadership rolls (feel free to PM me if you'd like more detail :))

Essays: This year I really focused on being more concise with my essays and getting to the point. Felt like they were a better representation of my values and experiences compared to last year.

Year: Graduated undergrad

TIME STAMP: March 30th, 09:10am PT

cGPA: 3.43 (OMSAS), wGPA ?

MCAT: 522 (132/130/132/128)

ECs: Tons of research, some volunteering, some teaching, some shadowing, etc.

Essays: Didn't like the prompts, but tried my best anyway

Year: Postdoc (after PhD)

Geography: OOP

So glad the wait is over. Would've loved to go to U of T, but it's just not meant to be.

TIME STAMP: March 30th, 12:09 pm 

wGPA: 3.79

MCAT: 31 (10/10/11)

ECs: high level student government, 2 pubs, research, volunteering in community, music, club president, Intro bio TA, etc, etc, 

Essays: thought I killed them 

Year: graduated 2015

Hard to overcome the GPA at U of T. Best of luck to all the people interviewing :)

TIME STAMP: March 30, 12:13 pm

wGPA: 3.88

MCAT: 129/125/131/129

ECs: 3 published publications, one in press, worked in 4 labs, 3 years volunteering with St. John Ambulance with one year as superintendent, various campus clubs/exec positions, licensed skydiver of two years, 8 years lifeguarding/teaching swimming lessons, bronze medallion instructor of 4 years, 2 semesters of TAing, and a lot more I can't think of off the top of my head.
Essays: Spent a lot of time on them, proofread by multiple people.

Year: Finishing up MSc

Pretty surprised considering the GPAs of grad applicants and the fact that I have 3 publications. I ain't even mad though cause McGill 2020!!!  :D

Didn't really want to go to U of T anyway not a fan of Toronto living :D

TIME STAMP: March 30, 12:13 pm

wGPA: 3.92

MCAT: 10/10/10

ECs: 1 first author, tons of posters and presentations, volunteering at hospital, various student governments, played varsity sport and played it professionally sports, worked for a couple of years as an engineer in a medically related field. Numerous awards for sports, academics and research. 
Essays: Spent a lot of time on them, proofread by multiple people.

Year: Finished MSc, worked for the last 2 years

No idea what's going on at U of T. The year before last I was rejected AFTER the final interview (so was presumably short-listed just incase someone cancelled last minute). Improved my application and last year I interviewed and was waitlisted until September after which I got rejected. I've since improved my application again and now get rejected pre-interview? The strange world of med school applications... :confused:  :confused:  :confused:

TIME STAMP: March 30, 10:13 pm

wGPA: ~ 3.83

MCAT: 130/130/126/127

ECs: Engineering projects, varsity athletics, volunteering with two organizations, travelling, one employment used.
Essays: I have no idea, writing has never been my strong point 

Year: Finished Undergrad, currently working

Geography: OOP

TIME STAMP: March 30, 1:09 pm

wGPA: 3.83

MCAT: 129/127/131/130

ECs: 2 NSERC undergrad summer lab studentships, Various student clubs, 4 publications with 1 as first author, TAship for first year chemistry, martial arts, music, some unofficial volunteering.
Essays: I thought they were good, had them reviewed a bit, but could have been a lot better, maybe limited in their scope of experience.

Year: Finished M.Sc., been out of the lab about 8 months

I was disappointed but not so surprised, it's very competitive, and I didn't have much clinically relevant volunteering experience, which I'm sure was a major shortcoming of mine.  My GPA wasn't as good as some of the people I've seen post on this board.  Still overall kind of disappointing as I didn't get any interviews of the 5 places I applied.  PM me if you have any insights on what I can do to improve, I'd really appreciate it a lot!  All the best to everyone who got accepted!  Much success to you in the future!!

TIME STAMP: March 30, 12:10 pm

wGPA: 3.88

ECs: pm me! :)
Essays: Spent a lot of time on them

Year: Completed MSc

I'm glad to finally know, taking it much better than last time because of McGill acceptance :P

Good luck to those still waiting to hear back, and congrats to those invited!

• 1 month later...

Better late than never

Time Stamp: Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 2:04 PM

wGPA: 3.89

MCAT: 130, 129, 130, 130

Essays: Honestly did not spend much time on them due to a tight timeline during the end of the summer and a preference for the other medical schools. So the result is understandable.

Reference letters: Felt alright but relatively standard, no wow factor really.

Year: Was finishing fourth year

ECs: Fairly average to decent. A bit of research, good hospital volunteering, some leadership in a recreation club, lifeguarding.. 

I have been accepted to Western though, so all is good.

Archived