Premed 101 Forums

Queens Interview Discussion 2016

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This doesn't make sense with what's on the Queens website:

Application Process

Applications are first assessed by the Admissions Committee for the Undergraduate MD Program, and only if the applicant is invited for interview, will the application be reviewed and ranked by the MD/PhD-MD/Master’s Program Committee. Applications to be considered by the MD/PhD-MD/Master’s Program Committee are first reviewed by the Graduate Admissions Committee of the applicant’s stated graduate program(s) of interest. Applicants who meet the admissions requirements and are acceptable to the chosen graduate program(s) are then ranked by the MD/PhD-MD/Master’s Program Committee and highly ranked candidates are invited for interview.

It does make sense - there are two different application review processes. The MD/PhD happens first and interviews are held earlier. But to get a review by the MD/PhD committee, you have to be approved by the MD committee first. That's all that is saying. Basically you have to make the MD cut before you can be considered for the MD/PhD cut.

I feel bad now...

TIME STAMP: 1:26pm

Result: Invited to MD/PhD interview

wGPA: 3.84 maybe?

MCAT: 13/10/10

ECs: a ton of research with conferences + papers in progress. No funding though, unless you count the NSERC USRA..

Year: 4th year UG

It just said "Interview offers for the MD program will be sent out in the New Year."

don't feel bad! congratulations that is a great accomplishment. I'm just slightly annoyed that 1-2 points on my mcat make me ineligible despite all my other experiences; and those experiences are what I feel would make me suitable to be a physician scientist. However, they must have some reason for screening the way they do amongst a much smaller applicant pool and i'm just going to view it as it was not meant to be. 

It does make sense - there are two different application review processes. The MD/PhD happens first and interviews are held earlier. But to get a review by the MD/PhD committee, you have to be approved by the MD committee first. That's all that is saying. Basically you have to make the MD cut before you can be considered for the MD/PhD cut.

1) It says on their website "Applications are first assessed by the Admissions Committee for the Undergraduate MD Program, and only if the applicant is invited for interview, will the application be reviewed and ranked by the MD/PhD-MD/Master’s Program Committee."

So is this saying that insomnias just got indirectly told they have have an interview for the MD program

2) It says on their website "Interviews by the MD/PhD-MD/Master’s Program Committee will coincide with the applicant’s interview for the MD Program." 

Which leads me to believe that MD/PhD interviews are not held earlier as you have said?

Sorry, I may not be understanding this entirely. I am just confused haha.

1) It says on their website "Applications are first assessed by the Admissions Committee for the Undergraduate MD Program, and only if the applicant is invited for interview, will the application be reviewed and ranked by the MD/PhD-MD/Master’s Program Committee."

So is this saying that insomnias just got indirectly told they have have an interview for the MD program

2) It says on their website "Interviews by the MD/PhD-MD/Master’s Program Committee will coincide with the applicant’s interview for the MD Program." 

Which leads me to believe that MD/PhD interviews are not held earlier as you have said?

Sorry, I may not be understanding this entirely. I am just confused haha.

Maybe they are doing it differently this year, but in previous years they have a separate interview date for MD/PhD applicants held earlier. So yes, if you're given an interview for MD/PhD it's an interview for MD (so you do the regular MD interview, MMI + panel) + the additional MD/PhD interview (panel) within the same date. The interview date is usually mid-late Jan (perhaps insomnias can confirm?). They basically set up a separate MD interview on an earlier date (that is the same date as the MD/PhD interview) specifically for the MD/PhD candidates.

The interviews for regular MD are released after that, end of Jan as was mentioned above.

Does this clarify? I know it's confusing but most schools (minus McMaster I think) have separate processes in selecting candidates to interview for the MD/PhD program that differ from regular MD because the qualities they look for in a clinician scientist are vastly different.

Maybe they are doing it differently this year, but in previous years they have a separate interview date for MD/PhD applicants held earlier. So yes, if you're given an interview for MD/PhD it's an interview for MD (so you do the regular MD interview, MMI + panel) + the additional MD/PhD interview (panel) within the same date. The interview date is usually mid-late Jan (perhaps insomnias can confirm?). They basically set up a separate MD interview on an earlier date (that is the same date as the MD/PhD interview) specifically for the MD/PhD candidates.

The interviews for regular MD are released after that, end of Jan as was mentioned above.

Does this clarify? I know it's confusing but most schools (minus McMaster I think) have separate processes in selecting candidates to interview for the MD/PhD program that differ from regular MD because the qualities they look for in a clinician scientist are vastly different.

Yes that makes sense - thanks! 

don't feel bad! congratulations that is a great accomplishment. I'm just slightly annoyed that 1-2 points on my mcat make me ineligible despite all my other experiences; and those experiences are what I feel would make me suitable to be a physician scientist. However, they must have some reason for screening the way they do amongst a much smaller applicant pool and i'm just going to view it as it was not meant to be. 

Having missed UBC by only 1 point on the AQ/NAQ, I know how you feel. Your stats seem good for Toronto; hopefully I'll see you at that interview :)

Yup, it's on January 22.

• 5 weeks later...

Although  it says on their website that " We anticipate that interview invitations will be sent out by the end of January." , Is it true that if we have not got invited, we will most probably be rejected at this time!

No, the MD invites aren't out yet.

Also, we generally like to keep these threads open and discuss stats/theories in a separate thread. A mod will probably start to delete/move many of these comments.

• Leon unpinned this topic

Archived