Premed 101 Forums

Ottawa Interview Discussion 2016

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is anyone else confused about the process by which people were chosen for interviews? There seems to be a lot of really good applicants that didn't get interviews based on looking at the invites/regrets page

Always is - the fact that so many good people seem to have to go through this is one of the motivations to keep trying.

Opinions on the best way to prepare for a panel style interview? :)

Practice, practice, practice - doing mock interviews were key for me!

Read Doing Right

Be prepared to answer typical questions, address ethical scenarios, give lots of personal examples, and be able to highlight Canmeds competencies

PM me if more questions

What is the best way to request a change in your interview date? Email? Phone?

I received March 19th, but will be in a mental health clinical at that point. Would this be considered a circumstance that they'd consider?

I believe I sent an email when I rescheduled my interview at Ottawa.

Practice, practice, practice - doing mock interviews were key for me!

Read Doing Right

Be prepared to answer typical questions, address ethical scenarios, give lots of personal examples, and be able to highlight Canmeds competencies

PM me if more questions

How important is it to prepare well for the ethical questions? By that I mean, are there a whole lot of ethical questions do they ask, or does it depend on the panel that day? 

this is a dumb question, but it says to reply in writing, but we can reply by email? Does that mean writing an email to confirm you are coming will suffice, or do i scan a written and signed document? 

They mention in the email that you can either fax or email to respond by writing. 

You can definitely send them an email!

They mention in the email that you can either fax or email to respond by writing. 

You can definitely send them an email!

But does the confirmation have to be written? or can it be typed? I know I'm being silly here, but they do seem to have it highlighted, but maybe that is just to discourage people from calling.

But does the confirmation have to be written? or can it be typed? I know I'm being silly here, but they do seem to have it highlighted, but maybe that is just to discourage people from calling.

Dude, email = written communication.

I know this is a stressful time of the year and we are all wrought with anxiety, but please take a moment to gain some perspective.

An email will be sufficient.

:)

You are absolutely right, they emphasized that they don't want people calling to confirm whether uOttawa admissions received their confirmation of interview attendance.

Hey guys! 

Sorry for the dumb questions, but how do I send a confirmation? For Mac they emailed a form I had to fill out but Ottawa didn't give any instruction about the type of confirmation they wanted. 

Should I just send:

I ____name____ confirm I am coming to the interview on ________date____________ at Ottawa? Thanks a bunch :D , ___signature___ ?

Since Ottawa stipulated they want a written confirmation, should I hand write it and then scan it?

Sorry for the dumb questions. I just don't want to inconvenience the nice admissions lady by doing something incorrectly.

Hey guys! 

Sorry for the dumb questions, but how do I send a confirmation? For Mac they emailed a form I had to fill out but Ottawa didn't give any instruction about the type of confirmation they wanted. 

Should I just send:

I ____name____ confirm I am coming to the interview on ________date____________ at Ottawa? Thanks a bunch :D , ___signature___ ?

Since Ottawa stipulated they want a written confirmation, should I hand write it and then scan it?

Sorry for the dumb questions. I just don't want to inconvenience the nice admissions lady by doing something incorrectly.

Simply reply to the email and state that you will be going to the interview!

I double checked my email address on omsas and it seems I entered my email as @gmail.ca instead of @gmail.com. I have corrected in now on OMSAS but I know how long that will take. who should I contact from Ottawa to get the email? is this the best way to reach them admissmd@uottawa.ca??

thx 

Ya I would contact them and yes that probably is the best way to contact them

Can anyone comment on this: "Please note that all of the interview day is considered your interview and not just the time spent with the interviewers."

This means that they will also be observing our interactions with other candidates outside of our interview room. They will be keeping an eye on us from our point of arrival to the point of departure. 

This means that they will also be observing our interactions with other candidates outside of our interview room. They will be keeping an eye on us from our point of arrival to the point of departure. 

Is there much detail on how they go about this? I'm mostly just curious as to how they monitor everyone and how they turn that into an objective score for each candidate. Or it could mostly be a search for red flags or something? 

• Leon unpinned this topic

Archived